Silver Flint Japanese Coals

Japenese Silver Coal.

These are my go to coal, I buy them by the box.

Ease of light- about an 8.5/10 no stove needed my dual flame torch lighter does the job just fine.

Smell- no smell out of the box or while lighting 10/10.

Taste- no foul taste has ever been imparted to the tobacco except when I screw up 10/10.

Burn- These burn hot and they burn for a long time about 35-45 minutes per bowl 10/10.

Ash- Nice white ash in a neat little pile thats easy to remove with out contaminating the rest of the tobacco.

A+ coal I use no other unless I run out of these first. Edited by dcrooksjr

• 4 weeks later...
Mine are in a red box, Its says Silver Coal and Made in Japan on the front. However I noticed that the box of coals pictured on southsmoke.com is not the acual box you get they advertise the ones posted previously, but you end up getting the ones that I have in the red box.

• 3 months later...
Silver Flint - Be warned!!

I usually use either quick lights or Japanese style coals. I just got a box that I would recommend everybody to stay away from. This would be Silver Flint Hookah Charcoals. In a word, these suck! The problem is getting them from your stove to your hookah can really be dangerous. I have used other Japanese coals that stay together when you light them on an electric stove, but not these. They tend to flake apart. The first time I used them, part of the coal stayed on the burner. They dropped red coal everywhere while transferring them from my coal pan to my clay bowl. Not happy. I thought that I was just leaving them on the burner too long. Not the case. Watch out! They also have a strong chemical smell that does affect the taste. Try others, but watch out for these!! Oh, by the way. On the site that I bought them they did say Japanese style. On the bottom of the box, it says made in china. blink.gif

• 6 months later...
Silver Flint Japanese quicklights (the ones you get a Hookah-Shisha.com)

PROS:
- Light faster than naturals
- Last longer than Golden quicklight coals
- No taste once you get them going and you make sure you have all the silver coating blown off.

CONS:
- Break apart very easily which makes them hard to get them from the stove to your hookah.
- Silver coating doesn't come off all the way most of the times requiring you to scrape and blow.

Like I said in the cons, my main gripe with these coals is that they break apart VERY easily. Just from reading these other reviews it seems like this is a problem inherent to Silver Flint and may not necessarily apply to other silver coals. Other than them breaking apart easily, I definitely prefer these coals over the "normal" quicklights in terms of heat and smoke. With quicklights I was always getting a horrible taste, with these I taste nothing but the flavor of the shisha.

7.5/10 Edited by Raziel510

• 1 year later...
No Name Japanese Charcoal

I got it free from gothookahs.com, http://shop.gothookahs.com/product.sc?cate...p;productId=131

Ok, so I just recently re-discovered that I had these coals lying around. Was too tired to break up some bulk charcoal so i decided to use these.

The sticks are pre-scored but they are really inconsistent, some has deep scores, some has shallow scores, i even found a stick that wasn't scored at all! (As you can see from the pic on the link)

Lighting them was pretty easy, i used a gas stove and put the coals right on. After about 3 minutes, the coals were red hot all around and the silver flint blew off easily.

Using two pieces on my small egyptian bowl, the first 5 pulls didn't yield any good smoke, so I put the windcover on and after a minute it started going well. Didn't notice any taste coal taste whatsoever (was smoking AF Esk Apple), the coals gives off pretty low heat, so i had to keep the windcover on there the whole time.

After about 30 minutes, the coals were already down to just a small ember. Really poor duration from these coals. So in total I had to use 4 pieces to get an hour's session. They ash pretty good, the ash, most of the time, seems to just stick together instead of falling apart.

Overall, they are decent coals, the price is pretty cheap, but considering the amount of coals you have to use for every session, i just don't think it's worth it (2 on a small egyptian, 3 on a small mya bowl, 4 on a med phunnel). Rating for this would be a 7/10.

Pros

Lights easily
No taste
Ashes decently

Cons

Extremely poor burning duration

Neutral
Cheap (but with the amount you have to use everytime, it's the same as buying higher quality coals)
Gives off low heat (good for smoking with certain flavors, such as af some flavors which are very harsh e.g watermelon, bubblegum)

• 2 weeks later...
Silver Flint from Hookah-Shisha.

I know why these are on clearance, they're terrible. They make my Shisha taste like crap, and they take as much time as natural coals to light.

Pros- breaks apart easily, cheap
Cons- terrible plastic taste, ashes a ton, silver flake comes off when lighting and burns like bits of magnesium (NOT GOOD FOR CARPET!).

Would not buy again, 2/10.

• 7 months later...
http://hookahcompany.com/japanese_style_si...s_3190_prd1.htm

japanese style silver coals. I bought this because the description says they perform as well as Golden Charcoal... unfortunately (for this review) i haven't tried golden charcoal so I can't say if its true, but hopefully with my description of its performance you can find out.

The coals came in a box of 24 sticks, 12 sticks wrapped in plastic and packaged in 2 layers. each stick had scores to help break into 4 square coals. However the sticks was very hard and required an edge of a table and a lot of force to break em into squares. Furthermore, the scores were not consistent, some deeper and wider than others.

I lit the coals on a gas stove and they didn't take long to light, faster than the cheap Easy-Lite. By the time I pack the bowl its lit perfectly. Not bad for only being 1 dollar more expensive. My set up is a 24" MZ Safari, used a small tangiers funnel and a medium egyptian (they can hold roughly the same amount of shisha). I smoked AF Mint, Fusion Double Apple, and Fusion Blueberry out of it. Session lasted 45 minutes, normal amount of ash. Lots of great smoke and flavor. I needed 2 squares for the egyptian and 3 for the small tang funnel.

PROS: CHEAP, didn't add a taste
CONS: hard to break, this can be a good thing for those who hate weak coals but snapping sticks into 4 pieces made some squares skinnier than others affecting heat distribution. Coals never snapped cleanly.

I would get these again if they snapped more easily and evenly. Overall I would rate it a "meh"