Hookah Bookah

kmccoy90

Hookah Bookah is a modern lounge in the South Side of Pittsburgh.

They have modern decor; leather chairs and couches, clean design from the furniture selection to the color scheme to the flat-screen televisions. It's primarily indoor, with some limited seating outside on the sidewalk of East Carson Street.

Their hookahs are all acrylic MYA pipes. They smoke pretty well and are obviously cleaned. The hoses are MYA washables, and from the multiple times I've been there, no ghosting has been experienced.

Their flavor selection is very good. They're an Al Fakher dealer, so they have all of their flavors on the menu (I usually opt for their exceptionally well-blended Double Apple/Mint flavor), as well as a selection of the popular Starbuzz flavors (i.e. Code 69 and Blue Mist). The Starbuzz flavors are a bit extra, I think a dollar or two.

Their waitstaff is absolutely wonderful. Never have I had to wait for coals. Every 15 minutes or so, someone roams the floor with a coal pan switching out coals. They usually use Coco Naras, although I've seen some natural coals (the irregularly shaped ones that look like straight-up tree branches). They also give you a set of tongs for every hookah so the patron can adjust the heat to their liking.

They charge very reasonable prices; sitting and smoking a simple flavor is usually around 11-13 bucks (Starbuzz costs a bit extra), with a $5 bowl change cost once your flavor starts to fade. There is no cover and no minimum order, and considering the totally laid back atmosphere, you definitely get your money's worth. There are always a number of regulars who are both really educated and always willing to chat about hookah, news, and world cultures.

It's a no-alcohol joint, which I can totally understand. They don't serve any beer or wine and it isn't BYOB. I definitely don't see this as a drawback. They have a decent selection of drinks. Nothing crazy, just Pepsi and bottled water. They usually stock some Naked juices and some imported juices and pops and stuff like that. They usually have an appetizer menu but they haven't recently (I heard that their food guy is out of the country for a few months).

Hookah Bookah is a really great example of what a hookah lounge should be. Fantastic people who are truly passionate about the hookah craft, a massive selection of flavors (definitely something for everyone), and a perfect blend of traditional middle eastern culture, via satellite channels and constantly playing pop music, and American marketing, with modern furniture and a very beginner-friendly environment. As long as you don't come in acting like tool (in which case they'll get you to purchase Starbuzz and 3 hoses and get all of the add-ons that will rack your price up, and then plop a quick light in the middle of your bowl), you'll get a fantastic experience and some education in world culture along the way. I will definitely recommend this lounge to anyone who gets a chance to stop by Pittsburgh. It's a real gem on the South Side, so if you get an hour or two while walking between boutique shops and the numerous bars and restaurants (most of which are fantastic, by the way) on E. Carson Street, stop in and see what makes Hookah Bookah such a great place to sit, smoke, and chat.

• 2 months later...
This is a solid shop. It's where i bought my hookah and routinely buy shisha. The main guys there are real cool. Idk if the one guy just knows me or he does it all the time but he'll give me some free roles of coles and the occasional box of AF. They have another location in Indiana, PA that is on the same street as my apartment...aka, perfect. They were really helpful and said if they ever run low on supplies and there's something i want from their main location(pittsburgh) let them know and i'll have it in a couple days. Good place to hang out.