Shortening The Downstem On My Km

antouwan

so i just got a standard trimetal, and i want to put it on my non-jumbo boho base. problem is, the downstem literally hits the bottom of the base when it's in all the way. that means it needs to be shortened. so to do that do i just go at it with a hack saw? anyone have any experience? what about attaching the little flared part/nut to the bottom?

any help would be appreciated.

thanks,
-tony

I would actually use a pipe cutter to get a cleaner cut and less chance of bending your stem. I don't believe they cost that much at a hardware store. Not sure about the flare at the bottom. Ok went to the sears site and pipe cutters on there ranged from 10 bucks to 33 bucks. Gives you a few options atleast. Hope this helps Tony.

make sure not to tighten the pipe gutter too fast or else it could flare in just a little bit or you could get a nasty shaving stuck to the downstem...don't use a hacksaw if you want it to look nice..i would have a hard time cutting a KM.

the only problem i see with the pipe cutter is that there seems to be 2 pipes in the downstem. there seems to be the inner pipe, and then the pipe on the outside that seems to be more aesthetic. would i have to cut the outside pipe first and then the inner one, or will it cut them both at the same time? i guess i should be asking someone who works at a hardware store...

but i think i'm going to go with the pipe cutter, it will work out the same after i bought a hacksaw and the blades and it will look nicer. i'll keep you guys updated - i hope it turns out alright...

[quote name='delSol_si' date='30 July 2010 - 02:20 PM' timestamp='1280517614' post='477080']
make sure not to tighten the pipe gutter too fast or else it could flare in just a little bit or you could get a nasty shaving stuck to the downstem...don't use a hacksaw if you want it to look nice..[b]i would have a hard time cutting a KM.[/b]
[/quote]

yeah, it isn't he easiest thing. seeing one of codenames videos (i think the one on cleaning) and him having a hacked off KM kinda eased my mind. it isn't easy, but this thing will look great once it's finally done!

just did it. clean cut. i kinda cut it too short, though. hopefully the extra .5" or whatever whenever i add the nut on the bottom will make it bueno. smoking some AF esk apple with out of the first batch of alien minis. the smoke, draw, and clouds are bueno - up to par i would say. the noise also isn't nearly as muted as i thought it would be. i may not have to add the nut on the bottom after all, but will probably end up doing it just to add a little more length to the downstem. would jb weld be alright? i don't have access to a welder...

when you look at the bottom and see the 2 pipes, really its the little bell at the bottom and the actual stem, the bell is welded on but can be taken off and sometimes fall off, get that off first(the bell) then cut the stem, get JB weld to reattach the bell to its new position. didnt cut my stem but my bell did fall off, may need a dremel tool depending on how the JB weld is applied. sometimes is can get a little out of hand but it will make a great adhesive to the metal for the bell.