Homemade Non-Tobacco Shisha

Jimbo64

Howdy,

I've seen a few recipes for shisha, most have pipe or "roll your own" tobacco in them. I wanted one that was tobacco free, so I cooked up my own.

Here are a few pictures and a short over view of what I did.

[img]http://www.swansonkites.com/pictures/herbal01.jpg[/img]

As you can see, I started with a full length sugar cane, (I bought two) and chopped it into 3-4 inch pieces. I did this with the knife seen in the lower photo.

I then stood the pieces on end and sliced the skin or husk off, and then sliced it into 1/4 inch pieces. These I then diced into smaller pieces. (I did about 16 inches off of a 60 inch cane)

I used about a forth of a fresh pineapple, diced into small pieces roughly the same size as the sugar cane.

I dumped all this into a medium sauce pan and cooked it on medium-low heat. It boiled pretty good for about 30 minutes. I'd stir it pretty often to avoid burning it. This boils the water out, leaving the syrup behind.

[img]http://www.swansonkites.com/pictures/herbal02.jpg[/img]

You cant see it very well, but when I started boiling this down it had about an inch of watery liquid in the bottom, and when I finished it was empty of liquid for the most part, only having thicker syrup left.

I then added about 3 tablespoons of honey and cooked it another 10-15 minutes maybe?

This reduced the volume of fruit or shisha to about 1/3rd of what I had when I started.

I then added 3 table spoons of glycerin.

This isnt an actual recipe, because I havent really needed one. I just play around until I like my result.

it needs to sit for about 3 days to really smoke well.

I'll be working with Lorann flavoring oils in the near future, and will write about that as well. :D

Jimbo-

I have two questions. How broken down is the pineapple. I have a weird allergy to pineapple that isnt very well cooked, and my through starts to swell up. So this could be a potential problem for me. Second where on earth did you buy sugar cane, ive never seen it anywhere other than hawaii

Wow nice! I'm very curious about the taste as well. I like the fact that this doens't involve handrolling tobacco ^^ .

[quote name='b1acktigress' date='01 February 2010 - 03:15 AM' timestamp='1265012107' post='448860']
I have two questions. How broken down is the pineapple. I have a weird allergy to pineapple that isnt very well cooked, and my through starts to swell up. So this could be a potential problem for me. Second where on earth did you buy sugar cane, ive never seen it anywhere other than hawaii
[/quote]
Look for sugar cane at an international grocery store. Korean, Spanish or somerhing like that.

Hello,

I'd held off replying, because I wanted to give this stuff some time to "age" before I judged it.

Firstly, I've made this with both molasses and honey, and both apple and pineapple. I find the molasses to be better tasting, and I like it with apple better as well.

The smoke is thick, but the taste doesn't really compare with actual molasses tobacco to be honest.

I'll try other ideas in the future, and while this works, its not my favorite stuff.

As for the hookah, yes its a homemade job, and one of my favorites. I use it 90% of the time, lol. Its all most all copper, even the bowl. I line it with foil. and it has a brass stem, but the rest is copper minus the antique Ball Mason jar (soda lime glass)

Jimbo-

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
I think I'm gonna try this, but I was thinking about cooking the sugar cane and pineapple mixture with half water and half pineapple juice. Insted of just water, to see if I can get some added flavor. But good job, this is a great alternitive to traditional shisha!

• 9 months later...
  • 2 months later...
This is wonderful! Exactly the kind of thing I was looking for.

I don't like smoking tobacco, I have in the past but I've managed to wave goodbye to the death stick and move back to the gorgeous shisha.

At the moment I buy SOEX in bulk, buying 10 50g boxes for just over £10 including postage - but I'm always into doing some home-made, even for fun.

I don't know anywhere around here I could buy sugar cane, but I'm sure there's somewhere in London that I can find some.

Thanks so much and I look forward to more of your trials and I'll see what I can come up with too :)

[quote name='vendetta_revived' timestamp='1308058228' post='512621']
isn't cane sugar carcinogenic?
[/quote]

I believe a lot of the herbal brand of shisha use sugarcane as a base for it. Hydro does, and I believe SOEX does as well.

According to Wikipedia:
"Sugarcane bagasse has recently been used as the primary ingredient in 'Soex' brand Herbal Shisha. The shisha is sold as 100% tobacco, nicotine and tar free. The health effects of smoking sugarcane bagasse have not been studied."

So who knows.

Yeah but sugar is a known carcinogen, and I know that smoking anything is bad for your health but I really don't want any sugar in my bowl. People should really think if herbal shisha really DOES make for a healthier smoke, or something even worse than tobacco.

[quote name='vendetta_revived' timestamp='1308152018' post='512726']
Yeah but sugar is a known carcinogen, and I know that smoking anything is bad for your health but I really don't want any sugar in my bowl. People should really think if herbal shisha really DOES make for a healthier smoke, or something even worse than tobacco.
[/quote]
You might want to look up where molasses comes from before you run on about sugar. Molasses is the left over byproduct of the sugar manufacturing process. Carmel is nothing more than burned sugar, people eat burnt sugar all the time.