A Political Suggestion

Rani

Watching the speech to the joint house last night and the idiotic attitude of our legislators acting like the proverbial third graders something occurred to me. Why can't we institute term limits on these idiots? Part of the problem we have (in my opinion) in this country is the ol' boy network running our Senate and House. I doubt they'd be "cliqing" like at junior high if they were limited in terms.

I mean, I believe that Teddy Kennedy did some really solid things for this country after he grew out of his disasterously inept youthful blunders and took the job seriously, but 40 years in the Senate? Why the hell would we let anyone sit around on the job 40 years? You know what happens to long-term employees. They get complacent, stodgy, and they spend more time pal-ing around with their cronies than actually doing the job. Let's limit them to a maxiumum of 3 terms and have the election offset from the Presidential election so there's a smoother transition. Or am I crazy for thinking this might improve things?

'Rani

Three term limits with longer terms, I think, would be awesome. It's irritating that merely six months after an election, Congress turns into all politics and no principles. I think a lot of the Republican opposition to health care has more to do with winning primaries than ideological disagreements.

The problem with term limits is that the politician becomes a lame duck on their last term. One of my ideas is to put a limit on consecutive terms, but after a break they can run again. My second idea is to make public office a part time job. This would get rid of career politicians who never worked a day of their lives in the real world.

QUOTE (gaia.plateau @ Sep 11 2009, 08:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Stop. Voting. For. Them.

American politics aren't quite so simple. The Electoral College as case in point. As proven in the past the popular vote means little if the cronies currently in power vote otherwise. We need a way to check on how our politicians are actually voting in comparison to what the public wants. At this point we don't have that readily accessible so an incumbant can claim anything he wants and we the general public have no way of fact checking against what he's saying. Our system sucks as is. Term limits would eliminate their ability to use rhetoric because they'd be leaving office regardless.

'Rani