Want To Make A Hookah

Azfatman

As the title says I'm wanting to make a hookah, it seems cheaper then buying one not to mention there's the self satisfaction when you get it to work properly. However before I dive head first into this I'd like some tips and recommended materials. The Do's and Don'ts as it were.

try not to us copper, its not that it's poisonous like some people here will tell you, its just that its a bitch to clean. i made a copper hookah, and i have yet to get sick. However, i do hate cleaning it, so i generally use my other one made from stainless steel.

you can buy stainless steel tubing from www.onlinemetals.com, thats where i got mine, and it worked beautifully.

For a starting point, I'd recommend finding the base first. Use whatever you want, like a flower vase, or you can buy an ornate one from a hookah shop. But get the base first, then find a grommet and design the downstem to fit the grommet and the vase.

After you get the vase, i'd recommend ordering the downstem metal, choosing whatever height you'd like. After that, i'd take everything you have to lowes, sit in the plumbing section, and then find pieces that you think would make a good housing. (remember, you need three metal pipes. one long one for the downstem, one short one for the hose, then one short, thin one for the purge.) If you get a wide mouthed base, you should be able to design a housing that will fit all your needs.

as for making the housing out of the 3 pipes and a couple plastic plumbing pieces, remember that epoxy is your friend. I find the putty easy to work with. Just make sure you don't put epoxy anywhere that smoke is going to directly pass over it (it has a terrible flavor).

QUOTE (agentscot @ Jul 22 2009, 05:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
try not to us copper, its not that it's poisonous like some people here will tell you, its just that its a bitch to clean. i made a copper hookah, and i have yet to get sick. However, i do hate cleaning it, so i generally use my other one made from stainless steel.

you can buy stainless steel tubing from www.onlinemetals.com, thats where i got mine, and it worked beautifully.

For a starting point, I'd recommend finding the base first. Use whatever you want, like a flower vase, or you can buy an ornate one from a hookah shop. But get the base first, then find a grommet and design the downstem to fit the grommet and the vase.

After you get the vase, i'd recommend ordering the downstem metal, choosing whatever height you'd like. After that, i'd take everything you have to lowes, sit in the plumbing section, and then find pieces that you think would make a good housing. (remember, you need three metal pipes. one long one for the downstem, one short one for the hose, then one short, thin one for the purge.) If you get a wide mouthed base, you should be able to design a housing that will fit all your needs.

as for making the housing out of the 3 pipes and a couple plastic plumbing pieces, remember that epoxy is your friend. I find the putty easy to work with. Just make sure you don't put epoxy anywhere that smoke is going to directly pass over it (it has a terrible flavor).

Do u have any pics as an example?

For the love of god don't use anything plastic where the smoke comes into contact i.e. stem, bowl, etc. You will get a bad taste and a bad headache. Use stainless steel. And follow all the tips from agentscot.

ghettoist of ghettoist hookah

supplies

-water bottle
-7 11 metal Slurpee straw
-tape
-1/2 vinyl tubing
-gum

step one
pour out water and save cap

step two
poke a small hole in the cap

step 3