Looking For Some Tips For Proper Hookah Usage And Management

I'm relatively new to the world hookah, and am looking for some advice. Up until now, i had been smoking from some generic Sahara hookahs. I recently decided to buy a new hookah and bought a 2-hose Syrian "Glyph" Hookah (It has yet to arrive). I had heard about Mya and KM hookahs before i bought it, but had assumed they were much more expensive than my budget would allow. Unfortunately i now see that the money i spent on my new hookah could easily have bought me a new Mya or KM, but that is not important. What i am here to ask, is what are some good tips and tricks to make my experience as pleasant and easy as possible. I also have a two more specific questions.

I have already realized that the type and quality of the shisha have a large impact on the quality of smoke and the length of the bowl, but know little about different types of bowls (i have heard of vortex and funnels but have no idea what they do) , coals, or hole arrangements. I understand that using natural charcoal is better than instant lights, but would much prefer the convenience of their quick set up time. what do you personally recommend, and what tips do you have?

I also was thinking about buying myself a nice hose, i'm looking for something long and preferably easy to clean. any suggestions on that? Also what sites are your favorites? I have already come across hookah-shisha and would mind knowing a few more.

Many thanks

1 The Syrian Glyph is a nice pipe
2 I prefer cocos but as far as insta lights go i would suggest Hookah John's insta lights or 3 kings (if you get a coil burner from wall greens naturals are pretty easy to light)
3. Egyptian bowls work find but eventually i would suggest getting a phunnel. They dont hve holes where the juice can leak down, so your hookah sessions last longer and are easier to clean
4. Hose, razan/nammor/grand; all pretty much the same thing and all washable. I use only one hose (a razan on both my pipes and it has lasted me a year)
5. Spend a lot of time practicing and trying different set-ups, def break coals in half to distribute heat. It takes a while to get good sessions but with this forum you should learn in no time
6. is there anything you are having problems with (flavor/smoke)
7. Go to the review section it will give you liots of advice
8. enoy your stay and read the rules Edited by joytron

Phunnel is the best investment I ever made.
-Cleaner hookah
-Bowl will last longer
-Flavor will be stronger

You may want to buy a hose, but personally, I'd suggest you wait for the Roka hose to go retail. It looks amazing.

-Natural coals are the only route to go. I get CH coals from Hookahjohn. They are solid, and a box lasts quite a while.

I'm looking at the tangier's phunnel bowls on hookahjohn.com (i know hes on vacation, this is merely for reference). I have heard that these bowls are huge, and i probably would be better off with either a small or a medium. Which do you recommend? I prefer to smoke bowls 40-50 minutes per bowl. Edited by Can-O-War

QUOTE (Can-O-War @ Jun 29 2009, 11:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm looking at the tangier's phunnel bowls on hookahjohn.com (i know hes on vacation, this is merely for reference). I have heard that these bowls are huge, and i probably would be better off with either a small or a medium. Which do you recommend? I prefer to smoke bowls 40-50 minutes per bowl.

Without a doubt a small...... My short session on a small is 1.5 hours and i generally still have left over shisha in the bottom. A Medium would last about 4 hours on average would be my guess (i've only ever smoked from my small so someone please correct me if i'm wrong)

phunnels are nice, i have a small one and its still huge, as far as hoses go, nammor razan or grand washable will get you all set! as far as the charcoal goes, for a quick setup time, slap them on the burner before you do anything else, that way while you're packing up a bowl and filling your jar they'll be heating up.

Good coals and good shisha are a must. Also don't be discouraged by a bad session/s. They will eventually get better. Just hang around here and in chat and I'm sure you'll get it down.

QUOTE (AmunRa @ Jun 30 2009, 06:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (arcane @ Jun 30 2009, 12:23 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
-clean your hookah often
-stir your tobacco well before packing

Get a medium. The smalls and larges are too small/big in my opinion. I'm a 40 - 80 minute smoker, and the medium is perfect for me.

packed correctly, my tang small phunnel filled with nakhla gets 2.5 hours easy...so 150+ mins

QUOTE (AmunRa @ Jul 1 2009, 09:29 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (arcane @ Jun 30 2009, 12:23 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
-clean your hookah often
-stir your tobacco well before packing

Get a medium. The smalls and larges are too small/big in my opinion. I'm a 40 - 80 minute smoker, and the medium is perfect for me.

you only get 40-80 minutes out of a medium phunnel? what shisha? if it's anything other than HH or HF...then you may be missing out on something.

i can EASILY get 3 hours out of my small phunnel with nakhla and tangiers. SB lasts about an hour to an hour and a half. AF a bit longer. Edited by arcane

If you get a phunnel bowl and don't want to smoke for too long, there are a couple of alternatives. You can recycle the bottom, unburned part, either saving it until tomorrow and putting a new top layer on there or throw the unburned bottom back in your tub. I like the first one better, personally.