Is Solder Safe?

neil555688

hi, my hookah has two holes that need to be patched, one at the top of the down stem, the other on the hose port, and i was wondering if solder would be safe to use in it? i tried searching and turned up nothing.

thank you

Neil

Solder would work fine. You'll never get it hot enough to re-melt, and it solidifies within seconds.

Pick up some 70/30 from Ratshack, and you're in the clear. It should work very well. Once it's solid, it's like any other metal.

Personally, I would use leaded since I have it laying around. It will be submerged in water and smoked, though, so perhaps lead-free is the smarter suggestion.

QUOTE (mjdx88 @ Jun 29 2009, 01:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
See if you can get some with out flux, I dont think its needed for this repair.....I dont think its all that great for your health

Flux is corrosive but can washed off. Should be all clear, but your probably right in wanting to avoid it. Never hurts to edge on the side of caution when you are going to put something in your body. hehe dirty joke

I would er on the side of cation and stay away from lead solder. If it's cool, it shouldn't really harm you. You could probably make a small patch to solder (or even weld, if you're good at it) on over any holes, that way the solder wouldn't be in your pipe

personally id stay away from lead since everything else has it in it including drinking water so the less you have to deal with the better right? sides lead makes you stupid if i remember right... so save those brain cells for a better occasion =p