Hookahs In Istanbul!

Hey everyone,

So I'm here in Istanbul, Turkey for 2 months as an intern and they have some amaaazing hookahs for sale. They all look Syrian. I'm definitely going to buy one but I wanted to know if people had any advice on which ones to buy and how much to buy them for. I'm fairly certain these guys buy them in bulk for like $10 each so I'm not going to pay as much as I would in the states. Most reasonable offers I've gotten have been around $50 - $70 for all brass (they claim) 35" + hookahs and beautiful bases. I still think that's a bit much. Anyone bought hookahs here before!?

Here are some pictures. hope this upload works.

i bought one of my hookahs there in kadikoy (asian side) from a store there. 50-70 is outrageous. I got mine for 30 with a couple extras. don't forget to drive a hard bargain. since you have a couple months there, make friends with a local lounge owner or vendor and you'll slowly get better and better deals.

I went to turkey before the Euro was put in place. I got 5 bottle of waters for 2 dollars. I couldn't believe I got that.. I was too young to even know what hookahs are/were back then but it was a pleasant experience. Edited by newjacksm

I assume it's like Egypt in that there's a million shops selling the same things - use it to your advantage. If you can't haggle them down to what you want to pay, just go next door. They know you'll just go somewhere else and they'll usually call you back in. If they don't, just carry on and go to the next one.

QUOTE (newjacksm @ Jun 17 2009, 09:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I went to turkey before the Euro was put in place. I got 5 bottle of waters for 2 dollars. I couldn't believe I got that.. I was too young to even know what hookahs are/were back then but it was a pleasant experience.

turkey isn't in the EU, nor do they use the euro. the yeni turk lirasi, or new turkish lira is what they use. it's cool though-most people assume they use the euro

$50 is alot to pay over there, you can get it down to about 30-40 at least...Remember the prices we pay for in the U.S. and online are outrageous when compared to the prices you can buy them at at local markets.

QUOTE (MN_Clouds @ Jun 17 2009, 11:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (newjacksm @ Jun 17 2009, 09:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I went to turkey before the Euro was put in place. I got 5 bottle of waters for 2 dollars. I couldn't believe I got that.. I was too young to even know what hookahs are/were back then but it was a pleasant experience.

turkey isn't in the EU, nor do they use the euro. the yeni turk lirasi, or new turkish lira is what they use. it's cool though-most people assume they use the euro

I was in Istanbul, that's why i figure they would use the euro.

I just asked a friend of mine overthere to ask around, she's not a hookah nut herself but who knows she'll come up with something for you. Wouldn't buy those touristy looking pipes for 50-70 though, remember haggling is expected.

QUOTE (newjacksm @ Jun 20 2009, 10:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I was in Istanbul, that's why i figure they would use the euro.

Still no. Turkey is very defensive of their currency. You get nowhere bargaining in Euro or Dollars, even in Istanbul. You could probably still pick up 5 bottles or water for $2, though, if you know where to go. Until they put Mustafa Kemal on a Euro note, even Istanbulus won't be too happy to accept it.

On topic: I had a goddamned devil of a time finding a quality Narghile in Turkiye, and I lived there for a year. (P.S. where is you internship? Merhaba! Nasilsiniz?)

Those hookahs look junky, and they're in touristy shops. You may get a deal, but you won't get a real find. Narghile lounges over there have nice, dense hookahs with luxurious long-handled hoses: ask a shop owner where he buys the narghile from, and get it from there. I wouldn't bother with any of those in the picture.

Hehe,

Yes I am in Turkey at the moment too....Kadikoy to be exact is the closest known place to me, which is in Istanbul.

Hookahs are pretty abundant here, and just like everyone has stated....gotta make the relationships...and then search through that route. If that doesn't work, drive the hard bargain and don't be afraid to walk away. There is a 95% chance they will run after you to make the sale and maybe throw in some goodies.

QUOTE (NazarHookah @ Jun 28 2009, 07:34 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hehe,

Yes I am in Turkey at the moment too....Kadikoy to be exact is the closest known place to me, which is in Istanbul.

Hookahs are pretty abundant here, and just like everyone has stated....gotta make the relationships...and then search through that route. If that doesn't work, drive the hard bargain and don't be afraid to walk away. There is a 95% chance they will run after you to make the sale and maybe throw in some goodies.

You're in Kadıköy no way! Im im Beyoğlu I'll be here till end of July. I found two wholesale hookah shops in Beyazit and the grand bazaar and im confident the hookahs they sell are top quality. one guy offered 50 lira immediately so I think this is the legit place to buy em. How long you here for?

QUOTE (theotherone31415 @ Jun 29 2009, 07:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (NazarHookah @ Jun 28 2009, 07:34 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hehe,

You're in Kadıköy no way! Im im Beyoğlu I'll be here till end of July. I found two wholesale hookah shops in Beyazit and the grand bazaar and im confident the hookahs they sell are top quality. one guy offered 50 lira immediately so I think this is the legit place to buy em. How long you here for?

Haha yes, Grand Bazaar is win! I have yet to go there, but I plan to make a trip over there this weekend.

I will be in Istanbul till the end of July, and in Turkey till August 16.

I am doing a study abroad term here at Yeditepe, so not REALLY in Kadikoy, but really close to there smile.gif