Census Taker 0, Hounds 1 At End Of First Round

QUOTE (liquidglass @ Jun 10 2009, 07:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
In all honesty, I completely and utterly agree with you. I know they will. Ever since I was about 16 every year there is a larger and larger difference. And I always am in awe of it. However, just as you stand firm in your belief at 20 years my senior I stand firm in my current as well. And the beautiful thing about life is that statements like that apply to everyone at any age. But no one realizes that things change from year to year until they're old enough to accept they aren't invincible.

I've been wrong plenty and I like being right, but you have to be wrong plenty of times before you're right. The thing is, it's not just what I've heard and read, you'd be astounded at the things I've seen, even at my age. It's just one of those things I can't go into.

And I"m glad you're actually trying to make a difference, and for that more power to you, that's all I ever want with people. If something seems wrong, change it. Even if I disagree with someone a little or in every single aspect I respect the desire and the motivation to go against the flow. If everyone believed in the same thing we would never be where we are today, and we would stop learning.

In retrospect on my post I apologize if it came off as attacking. And don't worry I never felt like you were attacking, just passionate about your point of view like me.

I took a moment to think this through before responding. I want to thank you for your apology and issue my own if you in any way felt I was overly harsh towards you in what I was saying. Human beings are so incredibly complex. We're essentially all trying to explain how we feel about this or that within the limited confines of a computer screen. Not a lot of space when you consider all the different emotions and morals and beliefs that make up just one human being. As a result sometimes we take the limited words someone says as an example of all that they are as a person, and that's not remotely true of anyone on this forum or anywhere else. I have my disagreements with Scotsman, because yes, I tend to be the warm fuzzy hippie type, yet as you can see on this particular issue we're on common ground. Sometimes we all forget that when the next issue comes around we might find outselves on the same side and we say things in heat that just aren't a true reflection of who we are, or the person we're debating with. There's a reason politics and religion are forbidden topics at the dinner table!

On this particular issue...... I don't know what the final answer is. Some would say why not fill out the census because the government has all this information on you anyway. But wouldn't that fall under the '"give 'em an inch and they take a mile" philosophy? In truth, there is no actual need for the census. City planners, engineers, and builders use formulas that comes very, very close to counting how many people live in a given area based on the housing and believe me, it's accurate usually with a few hundred people. How aobut a simple count off the DMV in each state? Plus a count of enrolled students within the district? There are a 1,000 ways to get an pretty damn accurate count of how many warm bodies are in any given area without requesting anyone give up personal information. There is no logical reason for the government to need more than the numbers themselves since they claim the purpose of the census is for legislative and funding dividing lines. Why do they need more? And why should we cooperate with giving it to them? Because they already have it? The average neighborhood burglar might know where you live and what car you drive. That doesn't mean you should go ahead and leave the door open.....

In any case, I think we've respectively agreed to disagree, and I'm glad we talked about it. Sometimes you only get to know someone better after you've disagreed and made up! 774_smiley_getting_kicked_in_the_balls.gif

'Rani

QUOTE (liquidglass @ Jun 9 2009, 08:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Actually still not a big difference it's all parts of the same machine.

And Again, it's a dumb ass move to prevent any part of the census. It's a needed thing and it's been around for quite sometime.

So b/c they're checking addresses and marking them on Census issued gps units then they deserve to be attacked by dogs? You my friend are extremely ignorant in this aspect. And if you keep the same outlook to other parts of your life, then I feel bad for you and whoever is forced to be around you.

The only thing the census is authorized to do (via the Constitution) is a head count for the purposes of representation. However, since the early 1900's I think it is, we've been stuck at 435 representatives, when in the constitution it says we should have one per 30,000 people. Which is a good thing, it just shows you that the system we have is WAY too large. And if all the Census did was a head count, I'd be fine with it. However, they all try to collect social, economic, racial and other data now that are no part of the governments business. Enjoy the slowly growing powers our government grabs if you like, but don't complain to those of us who would wish for privacy. I agree sicking dogs is a bit too far, but not answering and hampering are a good thing IMO.

-Z