Have Designs, Need Help Finding Parts, Advice

freeOS

Theory:
The outer cylinder will hold 18" of icewater against the brass inner stem, providing internal condensation along that part of the stem and will also cool the smoke substantially.

This is just a quick mockup in Mac-Paint, so bear with me, as it's not to scale.

The idea is to source parts once I decide on materials. I need your help deciding on materials and then finding them online.

Inner stem, hose adapter, and purge valve will all go into the inner stopper.

I need to decide on inner stem material. Perhaps brass? Looking for a good conductor.

Outer sleeve will be aluminum I'm guessing. That way I can keep the weight down.

Bottom needs to be something easy to manipulate, so I'm thinking it will be 1/4" acrylic? This will only be bonded to the outer sleeve hopefully. (I'd like to make the seal to the inner stem a removable one. Probably with a rubber stopper or gasket) ((Blenders join glass to plastic using only a thin rubber gasket and that works pretty well))

Things I need to find online:

• Largest base possible. Big, thick glass. Like a Sahara but larger if possible.
  • 24-30" of inner stem material. Likely brass? What internal diameter?
  • Large base to stem stopper (heart) (Maybe at a brewer's store?)
  • Aluminum outer tubing with 3-3.75" interior diameter. 18" long.
  • Top stopper from stem to bowl. (Maybe at a brewer's store?)
  • acrylic base for ice bucket, and sealant to attact it to the outer cylinder.

What would be the difference between this and a KM ice? Second, why??? I don't understand why people want to get their hookahs cold as shit. I personally put hot water in my vase sometimes just to enhance the flavor. If you manage your heat properly, you should never have any harshness. If you do, clear your vase. I have put ice in my KM ice bucket like 2-4 times probably. Once because I was curious, and 2-3 times just because someone I was smoking with thought it would be cool so I humored them.

Whatever makes your boat float though man, if this is what you want to do, good luck to you. About the vase, the largest vase an online vendor will have is a Jumbo. Last time I looked you can either spend $60 and get a really nice bohemian from HC, or spend like $35 and get a decent one from gH?. You will need a size 32 gasket for either one of these. (thanks to Eric for the info) I ended up getting a KM vase from likespaceships because he had one lying around.

If you are really ambitious, go to hobbly lobby and find a huge ass vase, they have plenty. And make your own gasket or just use a wet rag.

The difference is that the KM seems kind of silly since only 4" of stem is iced. I'm going for 18" of iced stem, plus a big ass vase full of ice. The reason is to help deactivate some of the carcinogens.

QUOTE (freeOS @ Jun 6 2009, 12:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The difference is that the KM seems kind of silly since only 4" of stem is iced. I'm going for 18" of iced stem, plus a big ass vase full of ice. The reason is to help deactivate some of the carcinogens.

Hmm...didn't know it could do that. Where did you find this out at? I may have to start putting ice in my hookah if this is true. Good luck and thanks for the info!

Well nothing personal but water wouldn't be he best idea. It cools off too quickly and doesn't cool as much as you're hoping over the long term, plus it's messy.

An sealed add on with liquid nitrogen inside will take care of it and never have to be refilled. Just an idea

Actually, here is a easy way to chill your stem...you know that canister of compressed air you use to blow out your computer and keyboard? If you don't shake it, and then put it upside down and press the trigger, it will spit freezing shit on whatever it is pointed at. A lot of people use this to take dents out of their car(cold makes the metal condense, the it expands as it heats up). But, if you sprayed your hookah stem with that freezing shit, it would freeze the stem. Not sure if this will actually work though Might be the same liquid nitrogen that liquidglass was talking about, not sure.

One thing I have tried before is setting my vase on a big block of dry ice. It worked well at first until all the water in the vase froze sad.gif

Guess this really doesn't contribute to your idea of making the project. One idea I would suggest is once you make this, put ice and salt in it. The salt will bring down the cooling temperature, making it get cold as fuck a lot faster. We did this to chill wines at a restaurant I used to work at.

if you want to tell me your idea ill test it for you, saving you money on said flask..

and there was a guy that cooled his hookah with liquid nitrogen...i think it actually cooled the smoke to much, and he got nothing...no flavor or anything.

if you want to tell me your idea ill test it for you, saving you money on said flask..

and there was a guy that cooled his hookah with liquid nitrogen...i think it actually cooled the smoke to much, and he got nothing...no flavor or anything.

Question: What size flask is that?

I\'ve seen anywhere from 1000ml to 5000ml online.

I\'m just going to put 3 holes in a lab stopper and run 5/8\" SS tube through for the stem and use the last 2 holes for a hose and a purge. Nothing fancy. Still looking for something to eat the markers off the flask so I can uniformly frost it.

Exactly like this one:
http://www.hookahforum.com/index.php?act=a...ost&id=3502 Edited by freeOS

QUOTE (freeOS @ Jun 7 2009, 12:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (liquidglass @ Jun 6 2009, 10:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
An sealed add on with liquid nitrogen inside will take care of it and never have to be refilled. Just an idea

As K1 mentioned a guy used an ice bucket add on, sealed it, and filled it with liquid nitrogen, keeping it in a foam holder in a box.

I don't think it was him who got no flavor, because he raved about the idea. But if it was, then I would say just line the container with some form of insulation. Thus perm. cooling and safer to handle.

QUOTE (delSol_si @ Jun 7 2009, 12:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Actually, here is a easy way to chill your stem...you know that canister of compressed air you use to blow out your computer and keyboard? If you don't shake it, and then put it upside down and press the trigger, it will spit freezing shit on whatever it is pointed at. A lot of people use this to take dents out of their car(cold makes the metal condense, the it expands as it heats up). But, if you sprayed your hookah stem with that freezing shit, it would freeze the stem. Not sure if this will actually work though Might be the same liquid nitrogen that liquidglass was talking about, not sure.

One thing I have tried before is setting my vase on a big block of dry ice. It worked well at first until all the water in the vase froze sad.gif

Guess this really doesn't contribute to your idea of making the project. One idea I would suggest is once you make this, put ice and salt in it. The salt will bring down the cooling temperature, making it get cold as fuck a lot faster. We did this to chill wines at a restaurant I used to work at.

Yup it's sort of the same idea with the compressed air.

By the way. QUOTED:
QUOTE (delSol_si @ Jun 7 2009, 12:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
spit freezing shit

QUOTE (K1024 @ Jun 7 2009, 09:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
2 liter, the hookah is a mya obelisk.

Thanks for getting back to me about the size. I see the standard mouth 2L flask has a 1.96" (ID) opening. That's pretty much the same size as most large hookah vases. Did you have any fitment issues? I see electrical tape...

Thanks!

QUOTE (freeOS @ Jun 8 2009, 08:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks for getting back to me about the size. I see the standard mouth 2L flask has a 1.96" (ID) opening. That's pretty much the same size as most large hookah vases. Did you have any fitment issues? I see electrical tape...

Thanks!

yeah my grommit was to small, ill take a pic when i clean it next so you can see what ive done to hold it together.

QUOTE (K1024 @ Jun 8 2009, 10:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks!

yeah my grommit was to small, ill take a pic when i clean it next so you can see what ive done to hold it together.

Thanks man, I'm definitely interested in possible combinations in the future. I wonder if a 2nd gasket would solve the issue for you.

I'm going to use a #10 rubber stopper with 3 holes in it for mine. Use maybe some 5/8" stainless for the stem.

You can try ethanol and dry ice, both pretty available. If you have access to chemistry materials then you can get pure ethanol, or im pretty sure some everclear would also be as good. Then just stick that shit in a tube around the stem. This is probably much easier, cheaper, and safer than using liquid nitrogen. Just dont put it in the base, that would taste awful, or let it touch the base, because then the water will freeze.

QUOTE (freeOS @ Jun 8 2009, 08:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (K1024 @ Jun 8 2009, 10:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks!

Thanks man, I'm definitely interested in possible combinations in the future. I wonder if a 2nd gasket would solve the issue for you.

I'm going to use a #10 rubber stopper with 3 holes in it for mine. Use maybe some 5/8" stainless for the stem.

what i really need is a stopper, cut out the middle, and use that as a grommit. but alas i am lazy.

it might be a while on those pics...im completely out of coals.

QUOTE (K1024 @ Jun 9 2009, 05:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
what i really need is a stopper, cut out the middle, and use that as a grommit. but alas i am lazy.
it might be a while on those pics...im completely out of coals.

Depending on how much you're trying to take out of the center, you might run into problems doing the drilling. It's already a bitch to drill the stopper cleanly. Looks like other people are freezing the stopper and drillbit, then using a drill press and lot's of patience.