Pc Issues

I am having some weird problems with my PC. It is shutting down randomly, but only really when using HULU, gaming doesn't cause that problem. But I am having issues running CSS (yea I know really), getting like 10 FPS at times. My PC shouldn't be having an issue so the only two things I can really think of is overheating and PSU... overheating shouldn't be an issue, cooler master case with aftermarket fans, and running with the case cover off today. Will blow it out with the air compressor tomorrow and move it to the kitchen or something (way cooler) but that is for many reasons.

Here are my specs, is it possible my PSU is too low (500W).

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4 GHz
NVidia EVGA 9800GT 512mb SLI-ready (only running 1 though)
G.Skill 4gb (2x2gb) DDR2 800
Lite-On DVD Burner (LightScribe)
Two 7200RPM HDDs
PCI Wireless Card
A few USB peripherals (but like right now nothing but a headset and mouse/keyboard)

Is my 500W maybe the issue? Like I said issue only really in CSS which seems weird (other than the hulu issue). I have latest video drivers. Never had problems in EVE and played some Warcraft III lately and had no issues either.

EDIT: If it matters I have a Thermaltake Purepower W0100RU 500W PSU. Edited by Vladimir

i have a similar build
and a similar problem
overclocked to 3.24 thou
but it would only happen when i was playing DoD Source
i chalked it up to overheating (hot room)
and i have a lot of fans
but its only happened when i play DoD online
i have a 500 watt power supply, and i run a EVGA NVIDIA geforce 8800 GT 640 mb overclocked
i can't see the 9800 gobbling up that much more power than the 8800...?

It may simply be some kind of virus or spyware. What kind of anti-virus do you have? Anything to get rid of spyware? If not download Anti-vir for your anti virus and download adaware for your spyware. Both programs are free. If the problem persists it could possibly be overheating. Make sure your processor fan is free of dust. If you happen to have another 500 watt power supply switch it out and see if the problem persists.

If you still have problems take your computer over to a repair shop and ask for an estimate. They should be able to give one to you for free...at least that's what my dad's place does or if anything they can tell you some more possibilities as to why it is not working correctly.

It sounds like a PSU, it may be not be how much watts it is maybe the PSU you have it just burnt up already or just overall not good. 550-650 should be more then enough.

But run to best buy pick up a PSU 550-650 and put it in there if that fixes the problem return it and buy one off newegg for half the price.. Or see if bestbuy will pricematch it as they usually price match all there stuff.

I have the same video card and run a 500w PSU. It is very much probably malware or a worm.

Or if it's 100% not an infection of any sorts, it could be internet pooling issues.

Some temps and voltage readout would be handy to troublehshoot this. Either find monitoring software for your motherboard, or try speedfan (google it for the download). This way we can see if your temps/volts are out of hand.

it actually potentially is the card not getting enough power. yes you can run things with less power than needed, but when they want the power and cant get it somethings gonna go awry.

and they make 500w power supplies that would work with that card, you need to find one with a high amperage to a single 12v rail...your card should say somewhere on the box/manual how many amps it needs, and then on the outside of the psu box itll say how many amps is on any given rail.

it could be a virus...which would be bad news for you. i actually had a virus on that messed up my motherboard, causing the computer to shut off everytime it tried to boot...so it can happen.

the simplest solution is of course overheating, so check that i guess, but it doesnt seem like thats your problem...

i lied actually, the simplest solution would be a loose cable...

but thats all relating to your computer shutting off randomly......as far as css having a poor framerate, thats hard to say. try reinstalling it and getting all the patches and see if that helps.

26 amps for a bloody gaming card?!?!

I wouldn't want your electricity bills!

But seriously I also had a very similar problem and it was a failing PSU. I would swop it out (and double check on something that can deliver 26amps down a 12v line )

JD