Loading A Half Phunnel Bowl

One of the worst aspects to the common Phunnel Bowl you typically must load it to the top for it to smoke well. This is all fine and dandy if there’s a room full of people helping you smoke, but regretfully, sometimes that’s not the case. The typical problems with a half loaded bowl are that you either get no hit, or the foil sucks down and clogs the inlet hole. Thankfully, I have found an easy way to get around this problem.

First load the amount of shisha you plan on smoking. Usually about 15 grams for myself, but this method will still work with more or less. Pack the shisha with the same consistency of a normal bowl, but in a compact area. Unlike a normal Phunnel Bowl however, don't pack it above the outer rim. Then find an extra can tab, if your living room looks anything like mine, that wont be hard. Place the tab with one of the holes on top the downspout and the other hole above the shisha.

Remember what side of the bowl the shisha was on as you put the foil on top of the bowl. Poke your holes on the outer edge of the rim but, only in the area covering the shisha. Then just place the coal right on top the holes, throw on your windcover, and your ready to go.

Now your smoking!

QUOTE (TheShishaDoctor @ Apr 29 2009, 11:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Looks cool, but I'm curious why you are using a can tab?

Keeps the foil from being sucked down and preventing you from getting a hit. With a fully loaded bowl, the shisha prevents this from happening.

QUOTE (alibaba @ Apr 29 2009, 11:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think a scalli mod would also work instead of a tab, and your foil won't get sucked down.

In my house, I have a never ending supply of empty beer cans. I just think this method is quicker, easier, and a good conversation starter.

Got a lot of excellent beers sitting around there... Just wondering, but are pop tops made of something other than aluminum?

well I tried this mod since i just received my phunnel in the mail... and all i can say is... *cough*cough*cough* looooooooots of smoke!!!

But i don't get that amazing flavor everyone is raving about. It felt a bit rough, and not that much grape (Al Amir White Grape). I smoked this shisha in a phake phunnel mod and i had better taste, less harsh and a lot smoother.

I basically did the same thing as LongJohn did in the pictures above... initially i used one golden canary japanese coal, and i thought i wasn't getting much taste because there wasn't enough heat.... so i put two coals. At this point i got A LOT of smoke which was nice, but still no taste and the smoke felt a bit rougher

HELP!!!!!!

QUOTE (alibaba @ May 9 2009, 05:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
well I tried this mod since i just received my phunnel in the mail... and all i can say is... *cough*cough*cough* looooooooots of smoke!!!

But i don't get that amazing flavor everyone is raving about. It felt a bit rough, and not that much grape (Al Amir White Grape). I smoked this shisha in a phake phunnel mod and i had better taste, less harsh and a lot smoother.

I basically did the same thing as LongJohn did in the pictures above... initially i used one golden canary japanese coal, and i thought i wasn't getting much taste because there wasn't enough heat.... so i put two coals. At this point i got A LOT of smoke which was nice, but still no taste and the smoke felt a bit rougher

HELP!!!!!!

1 coal is usually more than what I need to produce enough smoke and a good flavor. IF you think you need 2 coals place them on opposite sides of where you have your shisha and holes. Since the shisha will be packed slightly tighter than normal, wait a little bit longer for everything to heat up before you put that second coal on.

QUOTE (mjdx88 @ May 10 2009, 10:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Pack the shisha as tight a possible?

Not as tight as possible, just slightly tighter than a regular bowl.

QUOTE (Long Horn Hookah @ May 11 2009, 03:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
1 coal is usually more than what I need to produce enough smoke and a good flavor. IF you think you need 2 coals place them on opposite sides of where you have your shisha and holes. Since the shisha will be packed slightly tighter than normal, wait a little bit longer for everything to heat up before you put that second coal on.

I started off with one coal and the smoke density was good... There was very little or no flavor though. I checked the bowl after posting and the tobacco was not burnt or charred. I think it might have been dry when i put it in. I haven't set up that many pipes or seen that many different types of tobacco... so I'm not really sure what's wet, moist, relatively dry, or just DRY!

Remember that aside from the shisha quality other things will still affect taste. If you put ice in the bowl you will get more smoke but less flavor. Try it out with another flavor or brand and let me know.

QUOTE (Long Horn Hookah @ May 11 2009, 08:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Remember that aside from the shisha quality other things will still affect taste. If you put ice in the bowl you will get more smoke but less flavor. Try it out with another flavor or brand and let me know.

Like i mentioned in my post, I used this shisha with the phake phunnel mod and I was getting great flavor. I'll try mixing it a bit more today and see how that works.

Alright, so I smoked some AF Lemon today biggrin.gif.... very very happy.... I'm about 99% sure the Al Amir that i put was a bit dry (reused shisha from a no-go 1min session).

Lots of smoke, very little harshness.

The only thing i'm sad about is that i was only able to smoke for an hour or so... and when i took off the foil the shisha was 90-95% intact. And I really didn't put a lot.

Looking forward for round two of Al Amir white grape