Hookah-shisha Phunnel Bowl

QUOTE (Sonthert @ Mar 28 2009, 04:33 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (GNUWorldOrder @ Mar 27 2009, 09:05 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
this more coal crap sounds fishy. if the real phunnel holds heat better that means it has a higher specific heat. which means it need MORE heat to heat up. conversely it also means that when the heat source is goes it stays hotter longer. if i had a real phunnel id test it.

also always remember shinny side down or you will waste coal!

Well, thats easy. The guy that said that was wrong. The clay Tangiers phunnels are made with is denser and conducts heat better (since there are less air gaps in it). Its not fishy at all. I did a lot of experimentation and research on materials when I was designing the Tangiers bowls.

Besides, I thought you were some sort of conservative. I would have thought you would jump at the chance to buy something made in the USA, made by Americans from US-made and manufactured materials. Everything in the phunnels is made in the USA. You really want to support China and guys ripping off American ingenuity?

when you get 2 shipped for 14$ i dont care who made them and under what condition. if you didnt want this to happen, you should have paid out the big bucks and got a patent on it. and if it was a better conductor of heat wouldnt it just leak all the heat out because the bottom and tube would get hot instead of just the head?

Those chinese bowls have lead based paint! Why would you wanna smoke that shit? cool.gif

The reasons I only buy tangiers phunnels and tangiers tobacco are numerous, but the main reason is hand-made quality. With the Vortex and the Chinese Phunnel you get shitty crap ass quality for 2 dollars less and you also miserably fail by not supporting the American businesses that deserve it. Why not pay 2 bucks more and snag a phunnel instead of a lead bowl? Most of the people here will most likely be shelling out the extra 2 bucks for fucking Starbuzz anyway so why not buy a real phunnel instead of directly supporting Communism? rolleyes.gif . Can you call up the creator of the lead phunnel and chat up with him and shoot the shit for 2 hours and also get help with loading your tangiers tobacco? Is the creator of the lead phunnel a vital member of this forum who's posts are always gushing with knowledge and fantastic surprises regarding his own product and the hookah market in general? Simple: NOPE. I can see why one would buy a Vortex, it's kind of a novel idea (a built in Mod), but once again, I would rather give my money for a piece of blown glass made by hand by some dude in Minnesota!

So if you really wanna save that extra 2 bucks you can blow on shitty candy tobacco, be my guest, it's your cash! But it just means your a Commie. yahoo.gif

QUOTE (Hippo_Master @ Apr 1 2009, 11:18 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Those chinese bowls have lead based paint! Why would you wanna smoke that shit? cool.gif

The reasons I only buy tangiers phunnels and tangiers tobacco are numerous, but the main reason is hand-made quality. With the Vortex and the Chinese Phunnel you get shitty crap ass quality for 2 dollars less and you also miserably fail by not supporting the American businesses that deserve it. Why not pay 2 bucks more and snag a phunnel instead of a lead bowl? Most of the people here will most likely be shelling out the extra 2 bucks for fucking Starbuzz anyway so why not buy a real phunnel instead of directly supporting Communism? rolleyes.gif . Can you call up the creator of the lead phunnel and chat up with him and shoot the shit for 2 hours and also get help with loading your tangiers tobacco? Is the creator of the lead phunnel a vital member of this forum who's posts are always gushing with knowledge and fantastic surprises regarding his own product and the hookah market in general? Simple: NOPE. I can see why one would buy a Vortex, it's kind of a novel idea (a built in Mod), but once again, I would rather give my money for a piece of blown glass made by hand by some dude in Minnesota!

So if you really wanna save that extra 2 bucks you can blow on shitty candy tobacco, be my guest, it's your cash! But it just means your a Commie. yahoo.gif

april fools? if not id be tempted to buy a lead test kit at homedepot

this more coal crap sounds fishy. if the real phunnel holds heat better that means it has a higher specific heat. which means it need MORE heat to heat up. conversely it also means that when the heat source is goes it stays hotter longer. if i had a real phunnel id test it.

Well, thats easy. The guy that said that was wrong. The clay Tangiers phunnels are made with is denser and conducts heat better (since there are less air gaps in it). Its not fishy at all. I did a lot of experimentation and research on materials when I was designing the Tangiers bowls.

Besides, I thought you were some sort of conservative. I would have thought you would jump at the chance to buy something made in the USA, made by Americans from US-made and manufactured materials. Everything in the phunnels is made in the USA. You really want to support China and guys ripping off American ingenuity?

+1

QUOTE (GNUWorldOrder @ Mar 28 2009, 11:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

when you get 2 shipped for 14$ i dont care who made them and under what condition. if you didnt want this to happen, you should have paid out the big bucks and got a patent on it. and if it was a better conductor of heat wouldnt it just leak all the heat out because the bottom and tube would get hot instead of just the head?

Doesn't matter when you're a small business and the people ripping you off are a world away, in a country that does not give a damn about enforcing your patents. I guess Louis Vuitton, Prada, and Ray Ban should go get patents too... oh wait that's right... they did.

QUOTE (An1m @ Apr 1 2009, 11:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Doesn't matter when you're a small business and the people ripping you off are a world away, in a country that does not give a damn about enforcing your patents. I guess Louis Vuitton, Prada, and Ray Ban should go get patents too... oh wait that's right... they did.

oh wait your wrong. check what is and isnt patentable. it is to be nonobvious and have utility. a design doesnt. it can be copyrighted as an expression or trademarked if and only if the design has secondary meaning with identifying with the company. counterfiters face both civil and criminal libility and can be seized at the boarder. these phunnels are not. a phunnel bowl can only be covered by a patent or trade secret (can be reverse engineered easily so its pointless). Patents are enforcalbe bt WIPO, WTO and GATT which both the US and china are part of. Copyrights are also covered in this too but not as strong. the madrid agreement strengthes this but the US did not sign it due to certian clauses. sir you just stepped into a world of hurt in a subject that you know nothing about.

QUOTE (GNUWorldOrder @ Apr 1 2009, 11:35 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (An1m @ Apr 1 2009, 11:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

oh wait your wrong. check what is and isnt patentable. it is to be nonobvious and have utility. a design doesnt. it can be copyrighted as an expression or trademarked if and only if the design has secondary meaning with identifying with the company. counterfiters face both civil and criminal libility and can be seized at the boarder. these phunnels are not. a phunnel bowl can only be covered by a patent or trade secret (can be reverse engineered easily so its pointless). Patents are enforcalbe bt WIPO, WTO and GATT which both the US and china are part of. Copyrights are also covered in this too but not as strong. the madrid agreement strengthes this but the US did not sign it due to certian clauses. sir you just stepped into a world of hurt in a subject that you know nothing about.

What are you talking about? Chinese factories knock off Air Jordans and sell them in this country, They knock off Sun glasses and designer hand bags and accessories. The point is that these products still get in. Eric didn't feel it was worthwhile to patent the phunnels, most likely because he knew exactly what would happen. Someone in China or Indonesia or elsewhere would knock them off and people like you would buy them anywya, patent or no patent. It doesn't matter if China signs a treaty, what matters is how they choose to deal with what goes on within their own borders.

By your logic I guess China doesn't have forced abortions, because they've signed documents stating that it isn't their policy. What China agrees to do and what they do are very different things.

ironcily air jordans and sun glass styles arent patentable, they are most likely trademarks and maybe copyrights. also coincidentally, their forced abortions arent passing through customs and being sold in the us. all the air jordans and fake crap can be seized and the IPs owner can do one of many things include sue for 3x the profits, and press criminal charges that bring up to 20 years in jail. just so happens that he chose not to patent it so its totally legal that they make knock offs and sell them here. as for the sunglasses structure they can be clean room reverse engineered if not patented and legally sold. same goes with stuff that is covered in trade secret and copyright. i wont go into my views on ip laws because you are just going to criticize it like normal but i commend him onnot patenting it.

random factoid: most patents the cost to obtain one is more than the profit gained from one

That's funny. And so is this

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=new...id=aprblR6ycNAA

You could just read the PM I sent you. You misunderstand the ruling in TRAFFIX DEVICES v. MARKETING DISPLAYS. It's not about something being non patentable because it can be reverse engineered.

Amplifiers can be reverse engineered, they can also be patented. The issue is how much of a chance does your case stand in court if someone successfully reverse engineers something that you produce. It's not as though it's not patentable though. Which seems to be what you keep contending. One of my best friend's father holds patents for a tooth floss holder and I assure you it is completely reverse engineered.

patents arent reverse engineerable. patents gives you a monopoly on the item given that you release every detail of how it works into public domain. copyrights and trade secrets are cleanroom reverse engineerable. maybe i was unclear the point of the case, the point was that they tried to use trade dress of their dual spring to enforce a trademark on the dual spring. this is overspteping the scope of a trademark into the realm of utility which is patents and tradesecrets realm. Edited by GNUWorldOrder

QUOTE (GNUWorldOrder @ Apr 1 2009, 11:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
patents arent reverse engineerable. patents gives you a monopoly on the item given that you release every detail of how it works into public domain. copyrights and trade secrets are cleanroom reverse engineerable. maybe i was unclear the point of the case, the point was that they tried to use trade dress of their dual spring to enforce a trademark on the dual spring. this is overspteping the scope of a trademark into the realm of utility which is patents and tradesecrets realm.

Well the point of that case was that they said the dual spring design effectively WAS a trademark because it had become associated with their brand, and indeed it was somerthing that people could recognize it by. BUT the dual spring was required for the product to function. This is the difference between two cars having four wheels and two cars having the same hood ornament. Wheels are needed by the car to function, hood ornaments are purely aesthetic and set the cars apart. One would be infringement and the other would not be.

But the point is it has nothing to do with Phunnel bowls or whether they could be patented. They can be patented but it wouldn't have been very useful to Eric. It would have cost some dough and he'd still have to sue phantom chinese companies and factories for making the knockoffs. Even if the knockoffs were reverse engineered he could still sue and win.

Also trade secrets and patents are not mutually exclusive, (which means some products actually would need to be reverse engineered). Full disclosure isn't actually necessary. You could patent a product and make slight changes and improvements to it and not include it in the patent, as the patent was filed before you made the changes. This is a pretty pointless discussion though.

Support Eric, buy Tangiers Phunnels, forget about the knockoffs.

Link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ray-Ban_Wayfarer

Ray Ban has patents, as does Nike, like I said. And they are ignored. And they do fight and they do win, but it can be a long drawn out process. Most small business owners don't want that sort of drama (I'd think not at least). Edited by An1m

There is one way to tell the difference in a Tangier's Phunnel bowl and a Chinese phunnel bowl. We sell both types so compared side by side they look very very similiar. Now if you look at both funnel on the bottom side then the Tangier's phunnel bowls tend to be more rigid, grainy (if that's the right word). The chinese bowls are very smooth on the bottom. One of the easiest ways to tell if you have a orginial or chinese made.

QUOTE (TexasHookah @ Apr 1 2009, 11:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
There is one way to tell the difference in a Tangier's Phunnel bowl and a Chinese phunnel bowl. We sell both types so compared side by side they look very very similiar. Now if you look at both funnel on the bottom side then the Tangier's phunnel bowls tend to be more rigid, grainy (if that's the right word). The chinese bowls are very smooth on the bottom. One of the easiest ways to tell if you have a orginial or chinese made.

Also, if you get asbestos poisoning shortly after purchase of the chinese phunnel, you will know it's fake.