Pipe tobacco fans

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='DougBurns']Okay, so I looked on pipes.org and got a good understand of how to get started but I have a very basic question that I felt safer asking here...
Do you inhale pipe smoke (or do most people?)?[/quote]
most people dont
yash- thanks alot for the link!

I do inhale a bit.  I usually get it going good, smoke a bit not inhaling, then inhale a puff or two, then go back to not inhaling.  At most 3 inhales per pipe, but still nothing like a hookah hit!  It just really depends on what I am doing and how I feel that pipefull.

Yash-Thanks for the link, man!  That's pretty cool.  Granted, most of these blends are not of the highest quality, but as an 18 year old pipesmoker (hence the handle "PipeSmokeMcGee"), I guess I'll take anything I can get (money isn't exactly plentiful around these parts)!  Good advice about a corncob...these really provide a good opportunity to try a blend without having to worry about the negative effects on your 300 Dunhill.To all you newer pipesmokers out there, DON'T give up!  Pipesmoking is a delicate art form that requires time and patience.  However, as I have discovered, the time invested in becoming a pipesmoker are WELL worth it.  It is quite rewarding when you can light a bowl with one match and keep it lit yet burning cool for the entire time.Thanks for listening, everybody

[quote name='xgracegalex']thanks for the link...I just bought another pipe...:(. the wizard one..I need help! I haven't even smoked a pipe before and I have two on the way...[/quote]Hahaha!!! That's a common problem! You'll find that your wizard pipe will smoke cooler because of the longer stem.Personaly I don't inhale, but I do exhale through my nose on occasion. I find that it enhances the flavour.

Yeah for those of you who signed up, let everyone else know when you
recieve your package. So far no ones said anything about recieving it.
I'm not positive, but I think this is just for US residents, and it may
take anywhere from 2-4 weeks, even longer.. So have patients :)

Wow, free stuff how can I not sign up....Assuming I get some of this stuff in a month or so, considering Ive never smoked a pipe before what am I going to need to do to get started (as cheaply as possible, I dont want to invest much money alongside my free tobacco)?  Such as, where can I find a cheapie pipe that will work OK, and where can I find some information on how to smoke a pipe?Thanks.

[quote name='tjt486']Wow, free stuff how can I not sign up....Assuming
I get some of this stuff in a month or so, considering Ive never smoked
a pipe before what am I going to need to do to get started (as cheaply
as possible, I dont want to invest much money alongside my free
tobacco)?  Such as, where can I find a cheapie pipe that will work
OK, and where can I find some information on how to smoke a pipe?Thanks.[/quote]

There are a lot of forums out there which you can learn how to properly load a pipe and light it, so don't worry there.

As for starting out cheaply, start by buying a couple corn-cob pipes,
which can be found at places like Walgreens. These pipes may look corny
as hell, but they work with the best of em, and are dirt cheap. So you
don't have to worry about meshing different flavors or ruining the pipe.

After some practice with cobbs, then you can think of investing in a real pipe.

Is there a return address on the package that you get from the
shipment? Or rather, is there a company name? I'm kind of paranoid
sometimes from where I order...like you don't need a package labeled
from bongsmoke inc. at your door picked up by somebody else in your
family wondering what's inside.....
Wait yash did they send you everything in those pictures? That's quite a collection...or damn generous shipment!
I've only tried Captain Black Light (aromatic) and thought it was pretty good =)
Of course everybody I showed the pipe to laughed and couldn't believe I
had one of those things like Sherlock Holmes or something.

btw is your pipe supposed to smell pretty strong for a long time after
you use it? mine smells pretty dark and i've only used it a few times...
oh and do you wash the pipe out with water after each use? i've done
that to clean it but now i'm not sure if that's what you're really
supposed to do.....

[quote name='Seandoo']btw is your pipe supposed to smell pretty strong for a long time after
you use it? mine smells pretty dark and i've only used it a few times...
oh and do you wash the pipe out with water after each use? i've done
that to clean it but now i'm not sure if that's what you're really
supposed to do.....[/quote]

Washing it out with water is not reccomended. The whole point of
breaking in a new pipe is to build up a "cake", so washing it with
water after every use wouldn't allow your pipe to get that cake. But
when people do clean their pipes with liquid, they use alcohol. Not
sure what kinds or the proper way to maintain a pipe, but I just
remember hearing that.

As for the package, I believe it just came in a simple brown box, and I
don't remember seeing a return address. There is definately no logos or
anything written on the box letting the world know its a sh*tload of
tobacco.

And yes, all that is pictured came in the box. I think everyone gets the same thing.

Whats a good website to check out for information?Also, Im kind of interested and dont know that I feel like wiating on this sampler pack, whats a good cheap tobacco to try and see if I even like a pipe?Also, why a cob pipe opposed to cheap yet not so "corny" looking pipe, like this one for example [img]http://65.36.161.111/ebay/images/LTRSD109.jpg[/img]

Well, hopefully someone more qualified will chime in and answer some of your questions, but as for the corn-cob, people recomend it because its so simple, so cheap, and so easy to use. But if you can find cheap pipes that you like the looks of more, then have at it. People just like to recomend cobbs because they are pretty common (ie you can find them at wallgreens even... :) and they work just as good as lots of more expensive pipes out there.If you don't wanna wait for the sampler, you can find a local "TinderBox" whcih are pretty common across the States, most of the times in Malls. Now most avid smokers will try and steer people away from TinderBox's because they are snooty, overpriced "gift" tobacco shops, but if you just wanna try some of the different blends of pipe tobacco, its like 4-5 bucks for an ounce.I wouldn't recomend buying your first pipe from them though, seeing as you won't be able to find anything for under 60 bucks most likely...If you really want to get into it, more than likely you will be buying your supplies online, but like I said, hopefully people with more experience will point you in some better directinos.

Yeah, but I don't think many avid pipe fans would honestly say they buy their tobacco from wallgreens. Although I've never tried it before, so I can't say its crap. But common, Walgreens pipe tobacco? 

Where to start on the pipe knowledge.... First I'll list a few of my favorite sites for you to browse on.  They are:
[url="http://grayfoxonline.mywowbb.com/"]http://grayfoxonline.mywowbb.com/
http://www.smokersforums.org/://http://gra...ne.mywowbb.com/[/url]://http://grayfoxonline.mywowbb.com/
...ywowbb.com/

...kersforums.org/://http://grayfoxonline.mywowbb.com/
...kersforums.org/://http://grayfoxonline.mywowbb.com/
...kersforums.org/
Those two sites are probably the funnest group of pipe smokers on the planet, just like here!  The next one is the first one that got me started on pipe smoking,
[url="http://pipes.priss.org/"]http://pipes.priss.org/[/url]
He's even got a section just down from the top on how to smoke a pipe.  Has a link inside the new page that has even more info.
Why we suggest corn cobs is the fact they are cheap!  For about $6-$10 you can walk into a "pipe store" and get set up with a pipe, tamper, and tobacco.  Cobs may look corny, but they provide one of the smoothest, driest smokes availaible.  The one posted above may have a metal bowl, which may heat up fast, and you may end up burning your tongue a tad, something we call Tongue Bite.  The best remedy for tongue bite is go to wallyworld, or in walgreens, and pick up some mouthwash, called Biotene.  It will soothe your burnt, hot, sore tongue fast.  Trust me, you will want some eventually.
By "pipe store" I mean any general store that sells tobacco.  I walked into a cigarettes for less store.  They had corn cobs, and plenty of pouched tobacco for sale.  They also had some glass pipes, and other things I did not really want to see there.  But you get the point I think.
For a first tobacco, that is a bit harder.  If you have smoked cigarettes, and are expecting a cigaretteish flavor satisfaction, or want a plainer tobacco flavor, try a pouch of the old standby's, Prince Albert (stronger), Carter Hall (stronger), or Half & Half (a tad milder), or if you are lucky, Kentucky Club (a great burley blend).
If you want a more aromatic style smoke, try a pouch of good old Captain Black White or Royal.  Don't go for a cherry flavored one.  They generally don't taste all that great.
Try it a bit, get a hang of the ritual behind smoking the pipe, browse the forums on the internet, try lighting with matches, butane lighters, etc.  Take it slow.  If you don't enjoy the rituals behind it, pipe smoking may not be for you, and you are out about $10.  But if you do catch a glimpse of the relaxation involved, you will be hooked. 
There are so many different choices of tobaccos out there that one person would have a hard time smoking all of them in their lifetime!  For a glimpse, browse through here:
[url="http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/index.cfm%5b/url"]]http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/index.cfm[/url]://http://www.smokersforums.org/://htt...m/index.cfm
Hope that helped a little, sorry for my long windedness.  My grandfather smoked a pipe for a long time, and I started about 10 years ago.  Still working through aromatics and Virginias, can't seem to develop a taste for the Latakia blends though.
Have a good one!

[quote name='pavlakos_politakos']my father would strictly smoke dunhill
or captain black gold.ill post some pics of his pipes and stuff as well
when my package arrives.
PS.yash,you gave me the link in chat a while ago and placed an
order that day.i never recieved it.it  was probably like  a
month and a half ago.[/quote]

Hmm. Did you read everything you were filling out on the form? Theres a
box that needs to be checked saying its ok to send samples to you. Do
you remember if you checked it?

A couple more reasons you might not have gotten it. Arn't you under 18?
Maybe they have a way to check everyone who fills out the forms
identification and saw you wern't of age.

One more thing. Do you currently live in New York? I don't think the
sampler works for people in a few certain states, New York being one of
them because of their super strict/harsh anti-smoking laws. They might
have seen this and just skipped over you.

Now I'm just going off of memory. I'm assuming you're under 18 and live
in New York, because I sort of remember hearing this about you
previously, is this correct?

There are really only three types of pipes worthy of smoking tobacco in.
1. Wood (Must be briar or olive wood, other woods give off toxins)
2. Meerschaum
3. Cob
The reason being is that these materials are suuitable in respect of heat transfer rate. The cheap pipes you find on ebay with the metal bowls tend to heat up fast and that makes your smoke hot.
Cant wait to get my pack and try some of them out. I usually only smoke Flakes and Virginias (love Dunhills Royal Yacht and Three Year Virginia). but a good aromatic is nice to have.

I enjoy the Dunhill night blend or the Davidoff green stripe blend.. As for cleaning, on occasion I use whiskey or brandy which gives it a nice taste as well as kills anything.. Better than pipe sweetener in my opinon as well.