Review of olive wood coals

Hey kind and genital people, Just got my olive wood coals in from thehookah.com. Since I'm a little scared of trying new coals, I thought I would post as I'm smoking them so I don't feel so alone. Yes, now you know one of my fears. It all stems from my bout with Nour fingers. Most of you will remember the physical problem I had wih them. I thought I was dying in MRS Bubble's arms. The olive coals are a little sppoky for me. They remind me of them with their appearance. I was expecting something like the lemon wood coal, which are real wood chunks. This stuff looks like a compressed something. Real powdery when broken apart, just like the fingers. The fear kicked in.   they are round chunks about 3/4 inch in diameter, (what's that, about 2-1/2 cm?) But instead of being fingers, they are stubby little "thumbs" about 1 inch in height. I took a steak knife and notched them longitudinaly and snapped them so I had 2 1 inch pieces about 3/4 inch wide half logs. Looking at the end, they are a half circle. I did this to 2 pieces of coal and use 1-1/2, making 3 pieces to heat up on the stove.
Smoking them: Well, one sign of relief is the color of the ash they produce. It is a standard black-white ash. The infamous Nour coals produced a light creamy-brown ash that was just plain weird. They do taste. They are considered "tasteless" by other people but I do detect a taste. It gives off a slight bitter taste to the tobacco. It's right on the tip of my tongue. Right in the place that causes a drool when it tastes bitter. My, how special. I'm smoking plain-jane Nakhla apple, so I know how this should taste. My drool is sweating out the tip of my tongue, giving me a cotton mouth. Now, this isn't so bad that it would be a bad thing. (Yeah, it's really me) Barely noticeable. Remember, I'm still suffering from the crud, so things do taste a little off. May not even exist. These coals are not too expensive to be a huge investment. I think they were $5.95 for a 500 gram (1 lb) bag. They sell them in a 2lb bag for maybe $8 or $9.00. They seem to burn hotter than 3 queens. My cup of tea burns hotter than 3 queens. They seem to be lasting longer too. Now, THAT is a bonus.
Well, what's it doing to you MR Bubble? I felt a premature buzz setting in, which gave some cause for concern (I want to live) but I am not displaying the signs of the Nour fingers. I'm still stable, my heart isn't pounding in my head, laughing like an idiot, needing help to stay sitting errect, almost blacking out (yes it all happened with the fingers.) You are probably asking yourselves "what is it with this guy? It's plainly a different coal." Well, if you have used the fingers, and looked at this stuff, you would be thinking "same crap, different cut." I'm happy to report that all is a "go" so far. Hold on.
I had to stand in walk in the living room and see what would happen. So far, so good. No blackout.
Well: I would buy these again. If it really does have a bitter bite on the tongue, it is not too major. Makes thing interesting. My goal was to find a decent coal that is hot and lasts, while being economical and inexpensive. I think the olive coals fit the bill.  One thing: When they are heating up, the give off a slight stink like camel poo on fire, or some other aminal poo. The lemon wood (Romman brand) gives off a slight wood- smoke smell.
So, for any of you who were curious about the olive wood coals, I don't think they are the quality that they are touted as by others, but they are much better than some trash I've used in the past. On a scale of 1 to 10 (I'm stealling Johnny's patent) I would give these a 7-1/2 for general everyday smokability. That rating for coals is good in my book, my wallet and my satisfction. Go ahead and give them a shot. Oh, by the way. You DO want to order from George at thehookah.com. Just trust me. If you can, (and I'm sure you can) call in your order. He is a nice guy. Trust me. You want to order from thehookah. Okay? READ MY LIPS: Order.............. He sent me some additional goodies in the box. So order from him. If you don't like thehookah.com, I can't convince you. Order from [url="http://hookahkings.com"]hookahkings.com[/url] then. They are both good to me.
Cheers.
MR Bubble

Thanks for that review,  Mr Bubble,  I emailed it to a friend who will be buying some Olive Wood Coals very soon

Me?  I stick to the quick-lighting Golden Coals,  they smell
nice, burn HOT,  and have that white & black ash you were
talking about

• 7 months later...
Mr. Bubble, thanks for the review. I was curious about the olive coals
but didnt want to change for what I know is good for me. I guess from
your discent review on them I will try them out on my next order.