Bottle Cap Diffuser

Thetawaves

Here is what I use as a diffuser:

It is simply a water bottle cap.

If you have the same, or similar stem as me then there is a good chance this might work for you. Just try a few different water bottle caps and try fitting the stem into the inner-ring of the bottle cap. Mine fits PERFECTLY. Then all you need to do is poke holes through the plastic.

I needed to cut away everything outside of the ring where it seals to the stem because the cap was too big to fit through the neck of the base.

And you have a.. well perfect diffuser if it fits right.

Hopefully, if a lot of stems are like mine, it can be used on most hookahs.

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (head_in_a_cloud @ Sep 29 2008, 10:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Forgive my lack of knowledge here, but what is the purpose of a diffuser in a hookah?

From what I've read, it is basically used to quiet the hookah by making smaller bubbles when you pull. Which is nice if you're watching TV or something.
I've also heard from some that it provides a denser smoke. Not so sure about that one though.
I'm thinking about making my own diffuser when I have time and try it out myself. See what all the hype is about tongue.gif

Yeah, in my experience nothing is easier/cheaper than one of those onion bags (you know the red plastic mesh ones). Take small sections of it, twist-tie one end off, then twist-tie the other end onto the bottom of your stem. Works great.

edit: After rinsing it off there's no oniony-ness left. So no worries. Edited by AKammenzind

QUOTE (AntiGravity @ Sep 29 2008, 08:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (head_in_a_cloud @ Sep 29 2008, 10:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Forgive my lack of knowledge here, but what is the purpose of a diffuser in a hookah?

From what I've read, it is basically used to quiet the hookah by making smaller bubbles when you pull. Which is nice if you're watching TV or something.
I've also heard from some that it provides a denser smoke. Not so sure about that one though.
I'm thinking about making my own diffuser when I have time and try it out myself. See what all the hype is about tongue.gif

Gotcha. Thanks for the reply. Yeah, I'm going to try out this bottle cap idea this evening. Will post any differences for those who wonder "why a diffuser" later.

QUOTE (AKammenzind @ Sep 29 2008, 11:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yeah, in my experience nothing is easier/cheaper than one of those onion bags (you know the red plastic mesh ones). Take small sections of it, twist-tie one end off, then twist-tie the other end onto the bottom of your stem. Works great.

edit: After rinsing it off there's no oniony-ness left. So no worries.

Oh wow, that's a really interesting way to do it. I will try that one out as well biggrin.gif

I just found this marker cap that looks like it may fit my downstem. I'm going to try this out along with your onion bag idea later this week. I'll let you all know how it goes smile.gif

QUOTE (head_in_a_cloud @ Sep 29 2008, 07:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

a diffuser actually makes your smoke smoother. ive had problems with always having harsh smoke and started getting tired of my smoke frequently becomming harsh then i made a diffuser for my hookah.. it NEVER gets harsh unless i put 4 coals since then i can never smoke without a diffuser

So last Friday I tried out some homemade diffusers, and I thought I'd give everybody an update here.
I made one out of the lid of a cigar tube, which fit very nicely on my friend's Mya QT. It also worked like a charm smile.gif

I also tried some door screen attached to my downstem. Didn't have much of an effect I didn't think. Then again I do have some little Chinese pumpkin like thing tongue.gif I'll have another friend of mine try it out on his later this week.

Another one I have made was from a highlighter cap. Didn't fit on any of our stems, so I'm trying to fix it to make it fit tongue.gif I'll see how that one works later on and report back.