Opinions On This Vase For A Base?

hippomania7

So I saw this on sale today for about 6 bucks and I thought it would make a really cool looking hookah so I bought it. The inside is made out of porcelain (is that good or bad???). For the two necks, the side one would be fitted to a hose and the straight up neck would house some brass pipe to make it a little taller.

What do you guys think? Would it make a good hookah/is porcelain good or bad for the inside lining of the base/is the two neck concept a good idea/do you think this could be a successful project?

Also any ideas in terms of adding some length to the neck via brass piping? It would be necessary for the lift or something like that right?

That looks really cool! Hell yeah do that! The only think I would wonder about would be any paint on the inside or stuff like that; porcelain may also be too soft and absorb the water, check to see if it has a glass like glaze on the inside, then you should be fine.

That thing looks just right for a hookah!

For your down stem, I would suggest a single piece of pipe, 1.5x to twice the height of the vase. You can go shorter, but then I would suggest a larger I.D. Slide it into something decorative that allows it to fit a rubber and a bowl and WAM!! You got a hookah!

QUOTE (VDDZ @ Sep 9 2008, 04:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
For your down stem, I would suggest a single piece of pipe, 1.5x to twice the height of the vase. You can go shorter, but then I would suggest a larger I.D. Slide it into something decorative that allows it to fit a rubber and a bowl and WAM!! You got a hookah!

Does that ratio correspond with pipe that is a half inch thick? And any idea where I can find brass or stainless steel pipe like this? I've heard the plumbing section at home depot/lowes has brass pipe for 7 bucks or something but I didn't find it last time. Any other ideas? maybe like a stainless steel towel bar or something? Oh and I can't buy online, has to be something I go out and buy.

QUOTE (BaronIV @ Sep 10 2008, 01:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i'm building my own hookah also and finding stainless steel pipe is a bitch! you could probably find brass at your local hardware store or do as i did and just go with copper

How about using an 18" polished brass towel bar from my local hardware store? I know copper isn't as bad as people make it to be, but I'm kind of paranoid : ) Would a new polished brass towel bar be safe or not?

This is the info that is on the box:
  • Die cast zinc
  • Polished brass

Careful with make-shift down stems, they may not be treated for heat or coated with something you don't want.

Try an Ace Hardware or call around, check the yellow pages on hardware or pluming. Dont be afraid to ask, but be sure your helper dude isn't gonna flip on you for making paraphernalia

QUOTE (VDDZ @ Sep 15 2008, 01:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Try an Ace Hardware or call around, check the yellow pages on hardware or pluming. Dont be afraid to ask, but be sure your helper dude isn't gonna flip on you for making paraphernalia

I looked up some local hardware places, but what should I ask them for. In other words, do hardware places normally carry brass or stainless steel piping? Is there anything I can use other than copper? Is there any part commonly sold that would make a good downstem?

I know nothing about building a hookah... but from that pic it looks like both necks are at an angle. If you stick a stem into one of them, wouldn't it be leaning? Just a random question.

QUOTE (erufiku @ Sep 16 2008, 01:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I know nothing about building a hookah... but from that pic it looks like both necks are at an angle. If you stick a stem into one of them, wouldn't it be leaning? Just a random question.

Yup you are right. The "more tilted" of the necks is used for the hose. The one that is almost straight up will be used for the stem. What I'm thinking is that I could get some short segment of copper pipe that has a slightly larger diameter than my stem so that it fits right over it. Then I could fill the copper segment with sand and hammer/bend it into an elbow shape so that a second stem can go straight up from there.

I have no idea if that will work or if I can even bend the copper like that, but maybe I can buy a premade elbow that fits. Who knows. I'm not that worried though, I can always use an apple bowl until I get the something to make a straight stem.

QUOTE (hippomania7 @ Sep 16 2008, 06:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (erufiku @ Sep 16 2008, 01:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yup you are right. The "more tilted" of the necks is used for the hose. The one that is almost straight up will be used for the stem. What I'm thinking is that I could get some short segment of copper pipe that has a slightly larger diameter than my stem so that it fits right over it. Then I could fill the copper segment with sand and hammer/bend it into an elbow shape so that a second stem can go straight up from there.

I have no idea if that will work or if I can even bend the copper like that, but maybe I can buy a premade elbow that fits. Who knows. I'm not that worried though, I can always use an apple bowl until I get the something to make a straight stem.

the ingenuity of hookah smokers never ceases to amaze me. good luck w/ the project : )

• 2 weeks later...