Questions About My Ghetto Hookah

hippomania7

Well, I'm almost done with my ultra ghetto hookah, but I had questions.

Here they are:

-What can I use as an ashtray? Is one of those styrofoam plates alright? How bout a few layers of tinfoil?
-See right where the stem meets that rubber piece going into the bottle? Can I seal that up with epoxy or is that dangerous because of the fumes or something?
-What do you think of the cloth to insulate the gap between the bowl and the stem?
-I can't get my hands on a real bowl untill next week, but for now, what would work better- this red bull bowl or an apple?

Heh, oh my. I dont know where to start.

First of all, the RedBull can. Can's have coatings in the aluminum, really depending on the can and all, not to mention the outside print. Best way to prove an example in kinda throw a can in the fire, or hold it near flame. Definitely not what I want to be holding my shisha and coals.

The cloth creating a grommet? Well, that's gonna heat up and if it doesnt catch on fire, it will smolder and burn.

A styrofoam plate for an ash tray? Have you ever stuck styrofoam near anything remotely warm? I mean, the sun can melt a damn styrofoam plate... Bad idea.
Even a few layers of aluminum foil wont do much to hold a coal. Coal will heat up and burn right through aluminum foil.

Epoxy? Really depends on the kind. You dont have much of a wide shaft to cool off smoke, so it seems like your copper or brass pipe will heat up as well.

I mean, props for trying, but god, please dont smoke out of that.

Wow... i'm still chuckling. No offense, but its just that I think many of us have thought of making a homemade hookah at one time or another... but here you've actually done it. And it scares me. If you lit it up i'd take a drag just for the novelty aspect of it. But if I were you, I wouldnt use it man. Just go to a hookah lounge for tonight until you can save up for a real hookah.

That thing belongs in a museum. Congratulations.

I like that your thinking and tinkering. With that said,

WHAT THE FUCK!!

lol, ok, that will work in theory, but I wouldn't expect it to last long. it looks very unstable. recently, a member posted about using rocks in the base as a diffuser. with that wide of a downstem, I would suggest doing that as it is prolly the cheapest and easiest one you can get and it should SIGNIFICANTLY increase it's stability.

to seal it, use silicon glue, it's melting point is higher than any part of the hookah will reach.

replace the rag, you can use the silicon glue to make a grommet

and use an apple, fuk that can dude, entirely

Not to be evil, but is both scary and cool all in one breath. I would never smoke from it... the toxic fumes and or smoke may kill, but it looks so McGyver-ish, it just has to sit somewhere where people can see.... Edited by lazria

So are you saying this was probably a bad idea? I mean granted it was since we tried putting orange soda in it, but I've smoked it a buncha times with water and it worked fine. I don't remember why all that duct tape and foil was on there, but usually it just had an orange soda can wrapped in foil for the bowl.

[attachment=2094:hookahbo...h_orange.jpg]

By the way... coconuts tend to crack under great heat, but other than that they are good bowls haha

Well I don't think I can add any more than what's already been said, but I agree with a ton of it. Hookahmon's hookah scares me just as much as the OP's, for the record.

Just like what was said, save up some money adn buy a real hookah. It'll smoke better, be easier to clean and take care of, and look infinitely better. The price is worth it, trust me.

QUOTE (darkone253 @ Sep 2 2008, 02:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Just like what was said, save up some money adn buy a real hookah. It'll smoke better, be easier to clean and take care of, and look infinitely better. The price is worth it, trust me.

Somewhat true, but I spent a little bit of money on this and created the glorious Bambookah. I think it looks good anyway. Plus it smokes really well. There's actually just a 20oz pop bottle in the middle of that thing, which would work well but it got bent and now it leaks around the hose. So it might need something a lil better than a soda bottle...

[attachment=2095:Bambookah.jpg]

But I guess my point here is that you CAN build a good working hookah, but it'll probably cost more than hippomania spent using just random stuff he found in the trash.

Thanks for the warnings and heads up everyone.

incase anyone was wondering, I used one of those disposable tin foil trays for the ashtray, tossed out the red bull can bowl (thanks alademuerte), sealed where the rubber thing meets the bottle neck with linen, and used epoxy to seal around the hose connection to the base.

Laugh all you want, but it worked amazingly. Apple was especially a nice touch.

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (skimo281 @ Sep 7 2008, 10:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I actually like that one with the coconut as a bowl. What all is it made from?

The actual functioning hookah part is just a coconut, bamboo for the stem, a pop bottle and some tubing. Then the rest is just some random junk from walmart to make it look good... The pop bottle thing doesn't work too good though... It smoked great the first time, but now its kind of dented and doesn't like to cooperate... anyone know of something about that size that would better for permanent use?

QUOTE (hookahmon @ Sep 17 2008, 10:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (skimo281 @ Sep 7 2008, 10:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I actually like that one with the coconut as a bowl. What all is it made from?

The actual functioning hookah part is just a coconut, bamboo for the stem, a pop bottle and some tubing. Then the rest is just some random junk from walmart to make it look good... The pop bottle thing doesn't work too good though... It smoked great the first time, but now its kind of dented and doesn't like to cooperate... anyone know of something about that size that would better for permanent use?

beer bottle maybe?

QUOTE (agentscot @ Sep 17 2008, 12:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
beer bottle maybe?

Maybe, or if I'm going the glass bottle route anyway, I actually I have a jones soda bottle sitting right here that might work well... but I'm not really sure how to go about drilling a hole in a glass bottle. I'm not sure I even have anything to do that... Anyone know anything about doing that?

And just because I've always thought this would be a great idea... has anyone ever put jones soda in their hookah base? It sounds glorious to me...

QUOTE (hookahmon @ Sep 17 2008, 05:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (agentscot @ Sep 17 2008, 12:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
beer bottle maybe?

Maybe, or if I'm going the glass bottle route anyway, I actually I have a jones soda bottle sitting right here that might work well... but I'm not really sure how to go about drilling a hole in a glass bottle. I'm not sure I even have anything to do that... Anyone know anything about doing that?

And just because I've always thought this would be a great idea... has anyone ever put jones soda in their hookah base? It sounds glorious to me...

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=prod...526-68081-82724

QUOTE (hippomania7 @ Aug 28 2008, 01:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well, I'm almost done with my ultra ghetto hookah, but I had questions.

Here they are:

-What can I use as an ashtray? Is one of those styrofoam plates alright? How bout a few layers of tinfoil?
-See right where the stem meets that rubber piece going into the bottle? Can I seal that up with epoxy or is that dangerous because of the fumes or something?
-What do you think of the cloth to insulate the gap between the bowl and the stem?
-I can't get my hands on a real bowl untill next week, but for now, what would work better- this red bull bowl or an apple?

I am adding my 2 cents worth to be ghetto all the way you need some bubble gum holding something down on the hookah man.

Very cool idea I like it

Later

Bubba

• 4 weeks later...
If you go to walmart, you can buy nickel plated curtain hangars that are made from one piece or welded together. Take it apart and use that for your stem. A good 5/8 diameter, I think. Shouldn't cost you more than $15. And epoxy is fine, as long as you wait a day before smoking from it after applying.