Hookah During Ramadan?

I'm going backpacking in Morocco in a couple of weeks and I noticed today that Ramadan starts the day we arrive.
So out of respect we too shouldn't eat, drink or smoke (cigarettes) during the day when we're around local people, which I don't mind at all. But i was wondering if it's allowed to smoke shisha during the day? If not, that would be a bummer, because the 4 of us were planning a real hookah-vacation... tongue.gif

Anyone any idea?

dont know how hcore morocco is but in pakistan and saudi arabia, you can get in serious trouble for smoking and eating outdoors during ramadaan. during the nights they do, but i wouldnt at least do it in public. if you are that tempted be prepared to show proof youre not muslim. thats the rules of the brown lands ive been to.

From my teacher this pass semester you can not put anything in your mouth not even a piece of gum. absolutely nothing.... From the time the sun comes up to the sun comes down. People wake up early in the morning to eat and then its a feast at night. He said tourist go to the middle east around Ramadan to experience what it is like.

He also said people are excused if you are ill and need to eat, but if you aren't prepare do join them(at least it would be kind to do so). Every country is different as well, but my professor as much as a jackass he is, he said that he has traveled to 40 countries. Edited by newjacksm

QUOTE (newjacksm @ Aug 20 2008, 02:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
From my teacher this pass semester you can not put anything in your mouth not even a piece of gum. absolutely nothing.... From the time the sun comes up to the sun comes down. People wake up early in the morning to eat and then its a feast at night. He said tourist go to the middle east around Ramadan to experience what it is like.

He also said people are excused if you are ill and need to eat, but if you aren't prepare do join them(at least it would be kind to do so). Every country is different as well, but my professor as much as a jackass he is, he said that he has traveled to 40 countries.

Yeah ive been to quite a few as well, my count is around 32-35 and I am Muslim so I know as well...

At Night I you will be able to smoke without disrespecting the locals, as far as during the day I wouldnt go as far as not drinking during the day but just dont make it obvious when you are around the locals. I am a Muslim and I know that you cant smoke while fasting however at night it is perfectly OK. I plan on smoking when the sun goes down anyway.