Vortex Bowl

I have several vortex bowls and phunnels as well jsut for different colors but as far as the vortex its great. I love it more than my phunnel, but thats also because i dont really smoke tangiers so the vortex works fine with af, starbuzz, tonic, fantasia, sinbad and etc. The only downside to the vortex in my opinion is that you get one with the holes on the bottom which will defeat the purpose of the vortex making it almost the same as a regular egyptian. But if you do get the ones with the holes on top like their suppose to be then its probably one of hte best bowls out there in my opinion. As for the holes pattern its actually random so its luck depending on which one you get lol.

I tried side holes in prototypes 3,4,6,8,11 and 14. Just checked my records. Same problem in each one...the holes rapidly got clogged with black burn on. I'd chip it away, using a hookah poker, but it would come back, faster each time, because the burn on was growing on the inside of the bowl too.

I'll read and interpret my notes for you: Prototype 3 had 8 small side holes, top of the bowl. It was black glazed, which hid the problem, but the draw got progressively worse. The prototype top was sheared off trying to chip the black off on experiment X3-14. Prototype 4 had four larger holes, top of phunnel, but tobacco was getting sucked in, burn on less of a problem, but draw was getting obstructed by pieces of tobacco. Prototype 6 had six side holes (Just a coincidence), mid phunnel. It worked satisfactorily, but juice was partially getting sucked in and making "blubs" of liquid obstruction. Prototype 8 had holes top and middle and was "A dumb idea", my words, in terms of the bowl, it smoked inconsistently on three different occasions. Prototype 10 was a phunnel that had crosshatched grooves on top of the phunnel, it had burn-on caking in the grooves and then spreading inwards, being difficult to clean off. Prototype 11 had a spiral staircase of holes at different levels up and down the phunnel. I rated it as poor because the tobacco was cooking at different levels unevenly making smoking times shorter. Prototype 14 was the nominally best adaptation, it had a large center hole and 6 side holes, top of phunnel. The holes had less burn-on problems, and it was relatively efficient. Top center-hole-only, smooth edged hole worked better (Prototype #5) and were nominally cheaper than prototype 14. Prototype 23, for interest sake had a dull, serrated edging to the top, center hole, and it had black burn on problems, too. It also tended to tear the foil. My general notes include comments regarding the difficulty in keeping clean and maintenance.

As I look at it, Prototype 10's notes aren't relevant...but interesting.

Thanks for the complemenst, Jonathan. Good luck with your bowl. Did you remember to add "Inspired by the Tangiers Phunnel bowl" or something like that in the product descrption? smile.gif Your product is the best looking adaptation of the phunnel bowl I've seen to date. Its nice to have it around in relation to the junk thats being foisted off by other vendors.

P.S. Jonathan, I read your product analysis or description. Hot air being drawn down has nothing to do with the heat transfer of the bowl...you should change your description or something, its all in conduction, never convection. Convection is to conduction in the system what a fly riding on a car does to make the car heavier. Just a suggestion.

So, in summary, I haven't tried Sahara's bowl, but I do have some experience with similar products. In terms of pre-modded bowls, its the go-to choice. I haven;t tested it to look at its thermal characterstics, but, if you want a phunnel design and a mod in one, its a great choice as long as they tackled the cleaning and maintenance problems I had with mine.

I really like my Vortex, I'll always use it when I have time or need to smoke a big bowl, otherwise I just use my egyptians.

I've not ever used a phunnel though, and until I get round to getting one, I have no way to compare. But it doesn't block up, I just clear the holes once I've finished packing and it smokes like a champ smile.gif

I like the vortex for a better, flavorful smoke, but it doesnt touch the phunnel...vortexes have a much weaker draw, restricted airflow with only three small holes.

Sorry guys haven't reviewed it yet. I have had it for since August last year, and i have smoked out of it 3-4 times. I will dust it off and give it a few marathon sessions... but from what I remember. Draw was okay. Heat Retention wasn't good. And if anything got caked on it's a pain to clean it off.