My Home-made Indestructible Nalgene Hookah

Here's a quick run-through of the build process:
  • Remove nalgene cap attachment strap
  • Drill 3/4 inch hole in the top center of a nalgene bottle cap
  • Cut 3/4 inch copper pipe to size. Leave an extra inch above the nalgene cap. If desired, make a diffuser of some sort on the bottom. I was pretty lazy, so I just threw a simple 3/4 inch T-joint on the bottom
  • Using heat-resistant epoxy, glue the tubing to the cap.
  • Drill a half-inch hole in the side of the nalgene, towards the top. I actually used a really cheap soldering iron (got mine from the dollar store) to melt the hole... but this will give off some nasty fumes (I did it outside) and the plastic will stick to your soldering iron tip and likely ruin it (i expected this... i wanted to trash my cheap iron, so i figured i'd use it one last time before i did)
  • Epoxy a half-inch to quarter-inch nipple in the hole.
  • Attach the desired length of quarter inch ID tubing to the nipple
  • A regular bowl seal and ceramic bowl (I used mine from my egyptian style hookah) can be used with this hookah.
  • Have fun.

looks really cool, only problem might be having a coal slide off onto the plastic, other than that, looks awesome, very portable.

In theory you could keep everything for the hookah within the "base/bottle" roll up the tube, turn the bowl upside down, throw in some small tongs, pencil, a roll of quicklights lol. Just add water (and shisha but tech you could just pack the bowl before hand and keep it sealed with the foil.)

Assemble it, add water, punch some holes in the foil and boom, portable hookah. I like it man I might have to try this over the summer while I'm bored.

QUOTE (liquidglass @ May 17 2008, 11:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
looks really cool, only problem might be having a coal slide off onto the plastic, other than that, looks awesome, very portable.

that rarely happens unless someone knocks it over... not really an issue

QUOTE (Jeff_T @ May 18 2008, 05:05 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
def looks good. can you throw anything on, or are you going to for a tray?

it's possible to use one of the normal hookah trays (like the one i have from my egyptian hookah) and just put it on before you put the seal and bowl on... but i smoke my hookah outdoors, so i don't really need it and dont usually bother.

QUOTE (1145climber @ May 18 2008, 12:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (liquidglass @ May 17 2008, 11:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

that rarely happens unless someone knocks it over... not really an issue

QUOTE (Jeff_T @ May 18 2008, 05:05 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
def looks good. can you throw anything on, or are you going to for a tray?

it's possible to use one of the normal hookah trays (like the one i have from my egyptian hookah) and just put it on before you put the seal and bowl on... but i smoke my hookah outdoors, so i don't really need it and dont usually bother.

well a lot if it depends on what kind of coals you use, some roll easier than others. and I agree doesn't usually happen, but sometimes, even moving it around to ash it off.

I like to smoke outside most of the time but I keep a tray on mine for ashes, etc

still great idea though,