Imitation Phunnel Bowl And Tangiers, Any Else Tried One?

Hi

This is a bit of an embarrising topic. I own one of these bowls:

It's not sometime one admits to since its a blatant rip off of Eric Tangiers phunnel bowl. I brought it cause the real phunnel isn't available in Europe and I wanted to see if its better than a regular bowl (sorry Eric). I usually smoke AF with it. So far it smokes really well, the flavour is thicker than a regular bowl and it's much smoother and its now my regular bowl.

The problem I'm having is that my sessions only last about 30 min, 45 if I smoke slowly. Does anyone know if this is normal for this type of bowl? It takes, I guess, about 15 to 20 grams of tobacco and I use about 2 1/3 pieces of Nour charcoal; after the session the shisha is crispy and properly finished, apart from a bit at the bottom.

I'd love to know what peoples experiences are with a real small phunnel bowl (I placed my first order of Tangiers with Neal, but I stupidly didn't order a phunnel). And do the regular Tangiers smokers know if this bowl is ok to smoke Tangiers with? I've heard that Tangiers is much wetter than regular tobacco so I'm thinking that if I pack Tangiers then it should last a lot longer than 1/2 hour.

Well, its a lot of questions. I hope you guys can help me out with my dirty little secret (I'll buy a real phunnel when/if I place another order from DPG, depending on how rich I feel).

i had one of those but i broke it a couple of months ago. bought it from a german site for 6 euros ($9), they actually call it a "bimsteinkopf".

the quality is good, but the hole in the middle is a bit smaller than on a real tangiers phunnel bowl.

QUOTE (shisha fan @ Mar 15 2008, 10:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i had one of those but i broke it a couple of months ago. bought it from a german site for 6 euros ($9), they actually call it a "bimsteinkopf".

the quality is good, but the hole in the middle is a bit smaller than on a real tangiers phunnel bowl.

Did you ever smoke Tangiers with it? And if so, how does it compare to a real phunnel

QUOTE (manic007 @ Mar 15 2008, 11:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (shisha fan @ Mar 15 2008, 10:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Did you ever smoke Tangiers with it? And if so, how does it compare to a real phunnel

i never smoked tangiers with it, but i did with a regular phunnel.

i don`t know if the smaller hole in the middle is going to interfere with getting tangiers to smoke right.
but you might get it if you`re planning to order from a german site anyway.

the real tangiers phunnel is a little better qualitywise because i dropped that bowl twice and it didn`t even have a small crack in it, let alone break.

I have one of these bowls. It was not great however I'm told that a better version is in development.

I'm also told [but cannot quantify] that the idea of a funnel bowl is not in fact a new idea and may come from NHT related activities [again cannot quantify]

JD

A friend of mine from over sea's (Africa) told me when I showed him my phunnel that he had one over there and that its not um common. He said that they have been around for many of years and used on many sorts of shisha. I will post pics later if I can get in touch with him.

QUOTE (Johnny_D @ Mar 16 2008, 01:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have one of these bowls. It was not great however I'm told that a better version is in development.

I'm also told [but cannot quantify] that the idea of a funnel bowl is not in fact a new idea and may come from NHT related activities [again cannot quantify]

JD

QUOTE (boulderkid303 @ Mar 16 2008, 10:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
A friend of mine from over sea's (Africa) told me when I showed him my phunnel that he had one over there and that its not um common. He said that they have been around for many of years and used on many sorts of shisha. I will post pics later if I can get in touch with him.

QUOTE (Johnny_D @ Mar 16 2008, 01:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

JD

i have never seen a phunnel before these forums but what i have seen is a traditional bowl, with only one hole in the middle. like this one
http://www.hookahshop.co.uk/imagemagic.php...&page=popup

QUOTE (Johnny_D @ Mar 16 2008, 09:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

JD

i`ve never seen a NHT pipe with a phunnel bowl. they almost always have a very small glass bowl with a metal screen on the bottom.
and NHT is very dry so it wouldn`t be very useful at all.

QUOTE (shisha fan @ Mar 16 2008, 01:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (Johnny_D @ Mar 16 2008, 09:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

JD

i`ve never seen a NHT pipe with a phunnel bowl. they almost always have a very small glass bowl with a metal screen on the bottom.
and NHT is very dry do it wouldn`t be very useful at all.

Hence my comment that I could not quantify the information given to me.

QUOTE (Johnny_D @ Mar 16 2008, 08:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hence my comment that I could not quantify the information given to me.

look at JD thowing around them fancy words like quantify and wat not

I think qualify would have been a better word choice. It wasn't the amount in question but the quality of the comment.

That phunnel looks weak compared to the original.

-QM Edited by QuiltedMaple

QUOTE (manic007 @ Mar 15 2008, 02:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It takes, I guess, about 15 to 20 grams of tobacco and I use about 2 1/3 pieces of Nour charcoal; after the session the shisha is crispy and properly finished, apart from a bit at the bottom.

If the bowl only hold ~20g of tobacco then that's probably the reason your sessions are only lasting 45 minutes or so.

QUOTE (mdl @ Mar 16 2008, 08:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It takes, I guess, about 15 to 20 grams of tobacco and I use about 2 1/3 pieces of Nour charcoal; after the session the shisha is crispy and properly finished, apart from a bit at the bottom.

If the bowl only hold ~20g of tobacco then that's probably the reason your sessions are only lasting 45 minutes or so.

I suspect thats the issue. I see from HC the small Tangiers phunnel bowl hold between 40 to 50 grams of tobacco:

http://www.hookahcompany.com/tangiers_smal...l_2070_prd1.htm

Which I think is quite a lot, but I suppose ultimately thats what I should get (or a medium with scalli mod).

Thanks mdl for pointing me in the right direction.

QUOTE (manic007 @ Mar 16 2008, 02:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (mdl @ Mar 16 2008, 08:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I suspect thats the issue. I see from HC the small Tangiers phunnel bowl hold between 40 to 50 grams of tobacco:

http://www.hookahcompany.com/tangiers_smal...l_2070_prd1.htm

Which I think is quite a lot, but I suppose ultimately thats what I should get (or a medium with scalli mod).

Thanks mdl for pointing me in the right direction.

No problem. My Medium Funnel bowl holds ~50g and last upwards of 2+ hours.