Aluminum Downstem

nichols077

QUOTE (Stealth @ Feb 29 2008, 12:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I dont know what this guy is talking about, Your fine with aluminum.

my bad i was wrong i was thinking of copper. Sorry

I am pretty sure a long time ago they said not to cook in an aluminum pan. It release toxins in the food. Being a downstem, I do not see any problems with it because you would not be heating it up that much.

Aluminum Cookware
Aluminum is in air, water, soil, plants, animals, foods and household products. More than half of all cookware sold today is made of aluminum, usually coated with nonstick finishes or treated in some way to harden the structure and make it more scratch-resistant.

There is no evidence that aluminum causes Alzheimer’s disease as was once suggested by researchers. However, for those who would like to avoid exposure to aluminum, the best way would be to avoid antacids containing aluminum and to use deodorants (which generally do not contain aluminum) rather than antiperspirants.

Many over-the-counter medicines contain aluminum. One antacid tablet can contain 50 milligrams of aluminum and a buffered aspirin tablet may contain about 10 to 20 milligrams of aluminum.

In contrast, a person using uncoated aluminum pans for all cooking and food storage every day would take in an estimated 3.5 milligrams of aluminum daily. However, storing highly acidic or salty foods such as tomato sauce, rhubarb or sauerkraut in aluminum pots may cause more aluminum than usual to enter the food and is not recommended. (These foods will also cause pitting on the pot’s surface.)

Leaching
All materials give off atoms and molecules when heated and when immersed in an acidic or alkaline solution.

Aluminum
Aluminum is fairly soft and will release more molecules into the food than harder metals used in other cookware. Alkaline foods will increase the amount of aluminum that leaches into the food. There are some theories that aluminum in the food is a contributing factor in the increase of Alzheimer's disease. This has not been proven, but some people have shied away from aluminum cookware, just in case.