Hookah Idea

sss8789

Would be cool to try out. I got a feeling the ice would crack/break the PVC though. You might want to use something stronger.

You could prob accomplish the same thing with the stem inside a PVC shell and just pack it tight with snow.

looks like a cool idea.. i was actually wondering about how one could make the smoke colder too. i was thinking having most of the hookah encased in cold water, since it would be hard to get a casing of ice every time you want to smoke. then again, building a hookah within a water case would be tough too.

QUOTE (sss8789 @ Feb 6 2008, 04:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This is a rough sketch but one of my ideas.
What do you think?

well, i have an idea, which i have tried... get an ice patch(soft texture plastic with water inside) wrap it around the hookah stem , and freeze it.... take it out in 30min(approx) and ur ready to smoke... its neat if u want that lasting cool effect...

That idea is pretty much just a larger version of ice chamber hookahs that are available. I've heard that icing the wayer in the base pretty much negates the need for this though. Give it a shot if you want, the PVC should hold up alright as a chamber.

that sounds like a good idea, but as mj b90 said it does look a lil like the ice chamber hookahs already out. give it a try and see how well it works. As far as as the pvc breaking dont fill it up all the way so you can give the water some room to expand then you wont have to worry about breakage.

QUOTE (El Vis @ Feb 10 2008, 03:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hey. look here:
http://www.shisha-forum.de/thread.php?thre...lightuser=15243
It´s my selfmade hookah, all made of stainless steel and aluminum, with a cooling pack that i fill it with glycerin so i can cool it down to -18°C (+64,4°F).

That looks pretty damn awesome! Nice work building something like that. How's it hit??

QUOTE (Seanij @ Feb 21 2008, 02:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i was thinkin.. wouldnt it be better if you filled it with water.. and then stuck it in a freezer, and froze it?

did that once, ice expands, and it popped my base into a few pieces
it was my first hookah, so i couldnt let it go...duct taped it lol and it still works!

• 1 month later...
Not a bad idea... but if it's just colder smoke you're after, I think the best solution that has been discovered is to make your own hose, 15 feet long or so, and wrap it around the inside of a bucket, then fill the bucket with ice.

Chilling the stem really doesn't do very much, because the smoke will just get warmed up in the water anyway. Chilling the water is a step up, and chilling the hose is even better.

QUOTE (gaia.plateau @ Apr 7 2008, 01:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Not a bad idea... but if it's just colder smoke you're after, I think the best solution that has been discovered is to make your own hose, 15 feet long or so, and wrap it around the inside of a bucket, then fill the bucket with ice.

Chilling the stem really doesn't do very much, because the smoke will just get warmed up in the water anyway. Chilling the water is a step up, and chilling the hose is even better.

PVC doesn't conduct heat very well, so chilling it won't do anything but stiffen it. The only way that would work is if you went to copper tubing. The problem with this, however, is that if you chill the hose, you'll just get a condensation build up.

The more exposure to water the smoke has, the more humidity it'll have. You'll actually end up losing flavor(and thus smoke) and what's left of the smoke will be about the same temperature.

If you haven't tried crushed ice, a combination of crushed and cubed ice, and juice/Jello mix, that would be a good place to start.

The crushed ice acts as a better turbulator than cubed ice alone, and a combination of mostly crushed ice and a few cubes works even better(more turbulation means more water exposure). Thickening the liquid in the base also increases the amount of exposure it has to the smoke.

If you find that this still isn't enough, you can always make a second chamber out of a two liter bottle turned sideways. Get a piece of tube that will fit inside of it and punch holes every few inches. This tube will connect to the hose barb on the stem of your hookah. Then, put a hose barb in the side of the bottle that will connect to your hose. Fill it up halfway, and you're all set.

I'll try to throw a diagram together.

Vinyl doesn't do much better in transferring heat.

A cheap heatercore with fans blowing on it would probably be good.... any type of submergence in ice cold liquid would just introduce condensation.

Usually when you prepare Jello, you boil water and then let the mixture cool in the fridge. If you leave it at room temperature and use less of the mix or too much water, it won't solidify. Instead, it'll turn into a syrup that's thicker, sweeter, and more flavorful than bottled juice.

The alternative to this is to use juice from concentrate and don't add water to it.

I tried a guava-strawberry concentrate with ice to bring it up to the right level and it made my guava shisha taste sweet.