Glass Stem Home Made Hookah

Tikhman

So for the past couple of years I've been using a hookah that I brought back from Cairo, which I bought before I knew enough to make a really good decision. Recently it started to rust up and I really wasn't very satisfied with the pull I was getting from it so I decided to make my own.

Here are some pictures and a few details.

The stem I decided to make out of pyrex (basically glass) as to no worry about potential nasty chemicals and to ease the clean up. Its just under 1/2" on the inner diameter. The stem goes through a rubber stuper. The out for the hoses is just a simple plastic splitter 3/4" in diameter. As you can see, one side is currently plugged by a drain plug unsure.gif as I was the only one smoking.

[attachment=1009:Stem.jpg]

The hose is just a piece of flexible plastic tubing 3/4" inner diameter, 6' long and fits perfectly of the plastic splitter. The "mouth piece" is a brass plumbing fitting with some electical tape to secure it tightly.

[attachment=1010:hose.jpg]

Lastly I decided I really like the original base and used that (took a hell of a long time to fit the rubber stopper, but now the seal is just about perfect)

[attachment=1011:base.jpg]

The only problem is that the stem is only 12" total length so it sits kinda high in the base. I'll probably switch the base for another one when I see something that would fit well. Edited by Tikhman

and lastly the final product

[attachment=1012:new_hookah.jpg]

Just smoked a bowl of pharoah's at it performed like a champ, the clean up was a breeze and now there is absolutely no smell left in the stem.

In case anyone is wondering, the final product is about 19" tall.

Thanks guys. I doubt I'll be able to do a video, but I'll try to get some decent pics up this weekend or so.

also, I have another of those glass rods so I'm going to try to fuse them together to add on another 5-6 inches to the stem. Everything should hopefully be done this weekend too.

QUOTE (Tikhman @ Feb 4 2008, 01:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks guys. I doubt I'll be able to do a video, but I'll try to get some decent pics up this weekend or so.

also, I have another of those glass rods so I'm going to try to fuse them together to add on another 5-6 inches to the stem. Everything should hopefully be done this weekend too.

careful if you're cutting the glass... last thing you want to do is accidently suck some glass shards into your lungs

Finally finished everything. The stem is now 6 inches longer and is only about an inch from the bottom of the base. The copper pipe that you see isn't actually touching the smoke, it only serves as housing/reinforcement for the stem.

[attachment=1060:final.jpg]

[attachment=1061:top_final.jpg]

I think the only other thing I would like to do now is to make the LED underlight for the base like in one of threads here.

how safe is putting the bowl on the glass stem? Is the stem that sturdy? All it takes is a slight amount of force to snap it in half when placing the bowl on top, no?

looks sick though. Glass> brass, stainless steel, aluminum....etc (cleaning wise)

The stem is 1mm thick pyrex. Its the stuff generally used in labs. Unless you really really force it, breaking like that isn't a concern. Obviously, this isn't a party hookah, but yeah cleaning it is such a breeze. hot water for a few minutes and its good as new.

• 3 weeks later...