Coal Question

jerrysalem

Not sure if they have this in the USA, but here in the Czech Republic you can get what looks like natural wood charcoal, which does not have any chemical additives (you have to light it with charcoal fluid).

Very inexpensive, like 3 dollars for 5 pounds.

Question is, would it work, and is there any chance there are bad chemicals we should not breathe in?

I don't think so but want to throw this out and see if anyone else has tried this. If it worked it would be a very inexpensive solution to the coal situation and guarantee a virtually unlimited supply of easily available coal.

Thanks

Just check out what kind of coal it is. I bought some al Fakher charcoal, it's made from lemon wood, and it is the charcoal itslef, nothing added. I've also tried Nakhla natural coals, made from lemon wood and orange wood - same deal. I've also used pine wood straight from a fire at a campout and it worked well. certain kinds of wood impart different flavor on the tobacco - for instance i've used oak (i think) before, and it changed the flavor of the tobacco - just try them out and see how you like it - i don't know of any adverse health effects and i've smoked from straight wood a lot. just try it to see if there's a flavor change. if not then you've saved a lot of money, if there is you lost a little money but know you need to find coal from a different wood.

plus: if there are any chemicals etc. w/ adverse health effects, you probably shouldn't be cooking your food with it...

QUOTE (mj_b90 @ Jan 25 2008, 04:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I've wondered this myself. What types of wood are best for hookah?

hardwoods and citrus woods are used mostly (oak..lemon..orange..olive..etc) pine and soft woods create a lot of ash and generally dont give off as much heat or last as long as hardwoods

• 2 weeks later...
I use mesquit wood chunks. After I burn them on a hot plate, I wait for all the smoke is gone and I have not noticed any taste. I have heard that when the wood ash is white, gray, or black, its fine for the most part, but it's when there are any colors, there may be something there that you don't want to smoke. I suggest Charbroil Mesquite Wood Chunks for smoking meats, they can be found at Home Depot

QUOTE (VDDZ @ Feb 4 2008, 03:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I use mesquit wood chunks. After I burn them on a hot plate, I wait for all the smoke is gone and I have not noticed any taste. I have heard that when the wood ash is white, gray, or black, its fine for the most part, but it's when there are any colors, there may be something there that you don't want to smoke. I suggest Charbroil Mesquite Wood Chunks for smoking meats, they can be found at Home Depot

I've seen these, you're talking about the ones that is just a big bag of wood chunks? I would try them but I heard that they smoke a lot until they ash over.

What about the big bags of lump charcoal? I've seen this Kingsford Charwood for $6 at the store. Anyone have any experience with it? Here's a link to what I'm talking about. Kingsford Charwood

Yuck, I only use finger coals when I'm out, and you have to force me to use QT's; both of them will give me a headache.

I have tried the kingsford brand, but like the link says, they spark alot; this normally causes the chunks to break into unusable slivers.

These coals do smoke alot, I posted a review with my setup...in the review section.

QUOTE (antouwan @ Jan 20 2008, 03:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Just check out what kind of coal it is. I bought some al Fakher charcoal, it's made from lemon wood, and it is the charcoal itslef, nothing added. I've also tried Nakhla natural coals, made from lemon wood and orange wood - same deal. I've also used pine wood straight from a fire at a campout and it worked well. certain kinds of wood impart different flavor on the tobacco - for instance i've used oak (i think) before, and it changed the flavor of the tobacco - just try them out and see how you like it - i don't know of any adverse health effects and i've smoked from straight wood a lot. just try it to see if there's a flavor change. if not then you've saved a lot of money, if there is you lost a little money but know you need to find coal from a different wood.

plus: if there are any chemicals etc. w/ adverse health effects, you probably shouldn't be cooking your food with it...

If I remember correctly, you're not supposed to EVER use pine wood for bbq/smoking food. I would imagine it's the same for hookah...............not sure if it's just for the bad taste or for health reasons.

You can use 100% natural wood charcoal to smoke hookah, however oftentimes if the piece is too big, it'll become unlit and you'll need to relight it or grab another piece. However; never, ever use charcoal briquettes (like Kingsford) because they have additives that can and probably will kill you