Designing My Own Modern Hookah

nuguns101

Hey guys I'm thinking of making my own hookah since the one I bought is getting kinda flimsy and I would love to make my own. I was thinking of going totally modern. Right now I'm just brainstorming in terms of which materials to use. Anyone ever hear of someone using fiberglass sheets? If not, is there any other material i can use that is in sheet form?... Next, if I was to use a sheet material, then I would have joints to put together. Currently I'm thinking of using Permatex Hi-Temp RTV Silicone. Finally, I will probably need to use a better material for the bowl since it will get hot. Any suggestions/advice would be GREATLY appreciated!!! Thanks!

QUOTE (nuguns101 @ Nov 27 2007, 10:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hey guys I'm thinking of making my own hookah since the one I bought is getting kinda flimsy and I would love to make my own. I was thinking of going totally modern. Right now I'm just brainstorming in terms of which materials to use. Anyone ever hear of someone using fiberglass sheets? If not, is there any other material i can use that is in sheet form?... Next, if I was to use a sheet material, then I would have joints to put together. Currently I'm thinking of using Permatex Hi-Temp RTV Silicone. Finally, I will probably need to use a better material for the bowl since it will get hot. Any suggestions/advice would be GREATLY appreciated!!! Thanks!

haha, just got out to a thrift shop/target/walmart find a sweet vase that you like, or if you feel like making something outta sheet metal, do that, get a 2" rubber gromet from homdepot, buy yourself a bowl from the local smokeshop, make a stem, get a hose and way you go.

Just gather ideas from running around stores. That's what I do.

Did you want to make a hookah out of a vase or you'd rather make it from scratch?

QUOTE (Patzke @ Nov 27 2007, 11:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (nuguns101 @ Nov 27 2007, 10:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

haha, just got out to a thrift shop/target/walmart find a sweet vase that you like, or if you feel like making something outta sheet metal, do that, get a 2" rubber gromet from homdepot, buy yourself a bowl from the local smokeshop, make a stem, get a hose and way you go.

Just gather ideas from running around stores. That's what I do.

Did you want to make a hookah out of a vase or you'd rather make it from scratch?

yeah i was thinking of making it from scratch, so my base woul be a square-like object. So your recommendation is sheet metal? that would look pretty sweet....

QUOTE (D-szlos @ Dec 2 2007, 07:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (Tanel @ Dec 2 2007, 09:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Maybe try and make the stem on a lathe, perhaps out of aluminum.

hmmmm mabie ill use my old AR-15 barrel as a stem. However i dont know if i want to risk the whole lead residue thing.

I tell you what. That sounds like one bad ass idea. Maybe buy an extra 12 gauge shotgun barrel, 28inch, 26,24,22,18.5 plenty of options available.

• 3 weeks later...
ON A SERIOUS NOTE dry.gif

If you really wanna make a cool looking, and very functional, modern looking hookah,
i would advise optong for some pre-fabricated articles, so as to save you construction time, and (assuming your not an awesome metal worker) will provide a much nicer finish!

Here are the Items you would need --

1. stainless steel, airtight food tin (to use as the base of the hookah)
2. A hollow brass pipe, of desired length
3. Shower telephone chord (use as the pipe for the sheesha)

Ok... i think you get the idea...

QUOTE (Canon @ Dec 26 2007, 01:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
any idea if waterproof caulk would be bad to use on your hookah?

Caulking is a fair substitute for rubbers when using in the construction of the hookah.
It is waterproof, as well as airtight.

Its cons are;
It takes around 3 days to "cure". a period in which, use of the hookah results in inhallation of a strong vinegary smog, which is very irritable and bad for the health.

It is difficult to apply neatly, often resulting in a messy end appearance.

I would advise using a RTV gasket maker.
This is also a silicone compound, more dense than caulking aand is highly resistant to highj temperatures, ideal for use especially to create replacement grommets for the hookah. It cures in about 24 hours and is completely safe to use over a period of about 18 months, after which it should be replaced so as to prevent scaling.

Hope this helps tongue.gif

• 2 weeks later...
Since the post-holiday sales are still on, you might want to find some assorted size plastic Christmas tree bulbs (silver) and use them as decoration on the shaft (cut holes so they slide on). Alternating between small and large would make it look nice/new age.

On the lead issue, I wouldn't use the barrel. It would take too long to clean it thoroughly, and you would always worry you didn't get it all. Get an aluminum tube from a hardware store, it works and is safe. If you have a way of doing so: plug the end and drill small holes along the bottom 2" to make an integral diffuser.

For a homemade hose use a hose from one of those shower wands; the flexible metal ones. That would look bad a**. Or just be lame and use plastic tube. tongue.gif

• 2 weeks later...
NOT brass for the inner tube-Stainless steel! Brass picks up odors and it's tough to get them out. Stainless cleans like a whistle.

If I had good access to a scientific supply store I'd make one of glass, neutral, cleanable glass. Would look cool and SB very easy to clean.