Planet Nibiru

powerdragon

You're an idiot. It stated in the first article that this "planet" was supposed to be closest in the summer or spring of 2003. Seeing as nothing happened then it looks like we dodged a bullet... yay! The second site was full of so much nonsense I could only read to the second line. You really shouldn't believe everything you read on the internet. Could a moderator please move this out of the Serious Discussion section?

QUOTE (The white Russian @ Sep 21 2007, 10:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You're an idiot. It stated in the first article that this "planet" was supposed to be closest in the summer or spring of 2003. Seeing as nothing happened then it looks like we dodged a bullet... yay! The second site was full of so much nonsense I could only read to the second line. You really shouldn't believe everything you read on the internet. Could a moderator please move this out of the Serious Discussion section?

Dude, there's totally no reason to call some one an idiot because their looking to spark a conversation about something. Show a little respect, especially seeing as how you're so new here.

hey whiterussia or whatever your name is... I never said I believed in it for one. Second, All I asked for was some other peoples input and what they think about it. For three, The guy who estimated its arrival in 03 is obviously the idiot. And four, there is a ton of factual and historical writings, books, NASA, Pictures, etc. to back up the theory.

i think that something like that is highly plausible. the planet, that is, not the anukkans or whatever they are called. i'm also sure there are a few cults that are aware of this as well and as soon as that planet gets close people are going to be killing themselves all over. lets just hope its not a super big plant if it DOES happen, or we could get fucked. however, our galaxy is much older than this planets orbit, i'm no scientist but at least old enough for the orbit to have completed at least a dozen times. so i think we can all safely assume mars isnt going to crash into us, and our orbit wont be pulled into the sun. if the planet is large enough to attract asteroids, though, we may be lookin at some new pockmarks on the face of the earth.

I've heard about this in the past...here are my observations about the point.

1. Astrology/planets affecting us is absurd, its 11th century thinking. Notice that it referred to an old Babylonian story/myth. Short of a meteor/comet hitting the Earth, they have no influence on us.

2. Eccentric orbit minor planets are not uncommon. Sedna's orbit varies from like 75 AU to 975AU (A lot!), that is, the orbit is ovoid and sweeps way, way out and comes in, almost to Pluto. Although Sedna is almost 1000 times further from the Sun than the Earth is, it's strange rotation could be explained by even a more far-off, distant, larger planet...too far away for us to see. Of course it would be very cold and unlikely to support life. Something the size of the Earth could be yet 1000 AU further out (2000AU from the Sun) and still affect Sedna...that is Sedna may be the companion of a larger eccentric orbit planet. A Neptune size object could be 3000 AU from Sedna (4000 AU from the sun) or a Jupiter sized planet 5000 AU from Sedna (6000 AU from the Sun).

3. If the Sedna's Companion theory (AKA Nibiru in this case) might even be true, it, the Earth sized variety, would have to go from about 2000 AU to about 1 AU in its eccentric orbit. Sedna takes 12,000 years to make an orbit with a major axis of 900AU (Thats Sedna at 975AU- 75AU). A planet in a 2000 AU orbit would take a lot longer. If we assume it has a very slender orbit, looking more like a 0 than an O, it would have a semi-major axis of 1000 A.U. If we apply an average coefficient to its semi-major axis,
Years=K*Pi*r^2 where the semi major axis is r. I calculate an average of all minor planets and such as .05 (about .0498...close enough) so, Years=.05*pi*1000^2, we would get 157,000 years. If we apply the coefficient of Sedna (we would assume the coefficient of the mysterious neighbor would be closer to Sedna than to anything), Sedna's coefficient is .0138, which gives us an orbital time of: 43,332 Years.

4. If we take the smaller, most optimistic average of them, the 43,332 years (or is it most pessimistic?), it is nowhere near the orbital period they're talking about. It defies physics. A planet traveling that fast would never swing in towards the Sun...it would fly off out of its orbit. Planets travel the speed they travel at for a reason...faster and they fly off...slower and they get pulled into the Sun. The second web page shows a relative picture of Nibiru being twice as large as Earth, or three times as large as Earth.

5. Of course, maybe there is a Nibiru, but it wasn't the one that affected Sedna's orbit. The problem is, over the great epochs of time, a planet that large would affect other objects the same way Sedna could be theoretically affected by a larger body (and Pluto, too). The order and orbits of the outer bodies, trans-Plutonian seem stable and unperturbed. If you've ever looked at the theoretical orbits of planets in binary star systems, they have very strange, distorted orbits. The relative stability of the planets and minor planets in their orbits suggest that other, large objects haven't been sauntering through our solar system for a long, long, long time (a billion years?)

6. Its more superstitious hokum. Its a self-fulfilling prophecy without reason..."How would the Babylonians be able to make sophisticated astronomical observations of that nature...they had no telescopes." "The people of Nibiru gave them to us." Thats how religious mysticism works. You start off with a relatively benign assumption and prove it with ideas that are only possible if the assumption is true. For instance, the Christian god is real. How do we know? The Bible says so...how does the Bible know? Because God inspired its writing. If you assume there is no God, the whole cycle falls apart.

Read the second web page. The guy talks with absolute certainty that such a thing is true, but nobody has ever shown this planet to exist.

*An AU is an Astronomical Unit, the distance from the Sun to the Earth.

I'm not sure if it exists but what I do find interesting about this subject is of ancient civilizations drawings of the solar system and in a few they do have a tenth planet in them.
The Sumerians were one of those civs that mention a tenth planet.

http://xfacts.com/x2.htm Edited by dcrooksjr

Sumeria and Babylon weren't islands...they undoubtedly borrowed from each other. There have always been attempts through antiquity to explain the solar system in "Perfect terms" ten being a magical number...although the Babylonians used a base-12 number system, there are ten fingers on most peoples hands (Although twelve fingers is the dominant trait...Babylonians with 12 fingers?). That one guy...shit, not Brahe...Tycho? Nope, it was Kepler, Johannes. He tried to explain all the orbits of the planets by the perfect geometric patterns. He was so convinced that they must have some perfect symmetry to them based on geometry. He couldn't see the obvious explanation of the planetary orbits...he questioned his belief in God since they didn't follow what he thought to be "perfection" that God would have made. Of course, its superstition. They are balls of rock and chemicals spiraling around...they have no more decision in the perfection of their orbits than a dandelion seed does its course. No one put them there as such...

It also presupposes you have an actual definition of planets that is accurate. If you want to tweak the definition of "planet" you can come up with lots of interesting numbers. Currently the number is eight. Just looking at the Asteroid belt, the planets and their satellites, not including all the stuff we haven't discovered or the stuff past Neptune, the number comes out to almost 380,000! What if we just decided an arbitrary size that constituted a planet, forgetting all other considerations...how about 4000 Km in diameter? Then, there's eleven...Mercury (The smallest of the current planets), Venus, Earth, Mars, Jupiter, Ganymede, Callisto, Saturn, Titan, Uranus, Neptune. IF everything 3000Km and bigger is a planet then add three more, including our moon, Io and Europa. If you go down to 1000 Km (Which sounds like a magical number smile.gif ) Add 17 more to the list. Well, you say, it has to orbit around the sun, not another planet. There are still a lot like that...more than 1000Km and revolve around the sun...15 actually. Mercury, Venus...Pluto, Eris, Sedna, Quaoar, and a couple others...IF you make the cut-off 2000Km and revolving around the Sun...then you get ten exactly.

See, its all a matter of definition...what you arbitrarily decide is a planet doesn't make some number like ten or seventeen important at all...if you work at it...you can make anything come true by definition.

true, ancient civs were a lot smarter than we give them credit for.
i agree that the drawings could be anything. but their understanding of math and astronomy were pretty advanced but still primitive. that tenth marking could be a planet, moon or a religious marking, but its interesting none the less, i think.

I guess my point is, they may not have ever seen 10 planets, they might have assumed there were 10 because they "Liked the number 10.". It might have had some indication they viewed the heavens as ordered (which is, in our short span of lifetime, true) and that the order would follow their idea of order. If they did posses some ability to see bodies not visible to all but the most powerful telescopes, then they could have picked any 10 planets they wanted.

Also, a comet could have explained an occasional observation or even Earth's "second moon" or near-Earth asteroids, like AA29:

Cruithne, follows the Earth's orbit closely and is called by some "Earth's second moon". I don't believe any of them are visible without sophisticated equipment, but who knows? Maybe they had a manner for observing the heavens that eludes us to this day.

Edit Cruithne and 2000AA29 are different asteroids...sorry if that wasn;t clear. Edited by Sonthert

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (dcrooksjr @ Sep 30 2007, 10:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i agree that the drawings could be anything. but their understanding of math and astronomy were pretty advanced but still primitive. that tenth marking could be a planet, moon or a religious marking, but its interesting none the less, i think.

I actually researched into this and i dont think its improbable.

I couldnt tell you whats actually on the planet itself as thats debatable, but whether it exists is provable to an extent.

all ancient civilizations have paintings of an ancient planet, most notabley the mayans and the egyptians.

Ancient Indian literature also points to prove that such a planet does exist.

The sad part is modern history as it is today has taken the stance to rule out all cave man paintings and such and egyptian glyphs which point toward supernatural events that we dont fully understand, such as the Planet X theory (Using X as the planet since we can't really know what it is).

Its a shame, but given whats left of these artifacts, one could only make assumptions which was the original problem and reason why they just ignored anything like these facts.

i'm 100% content that it does exist and it will probably come into orbit in a few years anyway to prove if it exists or doesnt.

The mayan calendar ends in 2012, and thats when this planet is supposed to be visible, now we couldn't track it until 2009 or 2010 if it does even exist since it would have to come passt the milky way and asteroid belts.

Then we have all these new age web sites already saying what will happen, which is just wishful thinking on their part or cult like behaviour. That's still up for debate though on what the planet is or has on it.

I wouldn't worry to much anyway, worst case scenario its an evil alien planet, we could probably nuke the crap out of it anyway lol or try smile.gif.

• 3 weeks later...
QUOTE (Brownman18 @ Oct 15 2007, 09:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (dcrooksjr @ Sep 30 2007, 10:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I actually researched into this and i dont think its improbable.

I couldnt tell you whats actually on the planet itself as thats debatable, but whether it exists is provable to an extent.

all ancient civilizations have paintings of an ancient planet, most notabley the mayans and the egyptians.

Ancient Indian literature also points to prove that such a planet does exist.

The sad part is modern history as it is today has taken the stance to rule out all cave man paintings and such and egyptian glyphs which point toward supernatural events that we dont fully understand, such as the Planet X theory (Using X as the planet since we can't really know what it is).

Its a shame, but given whats left of these artifacts, one could only make assumptions which was the original problem and reason why they just ignored anything like these facts.

i'm 100% content that it does exist and it will probably come into orbit in a few years anyway to prove if it exists or doesnt.

The mayan calendar ends in 2012, and thats when this planet is supposed to be visible, now we couldn't track it until 2009 or 2010 if it does even exist since it would have to come passt the milky way and asteroid belts.

Then we have all these new age web sites already saying what will happen, which is just wishful thinking on their part or cult like behaviour. That's still up for debate though on what the planet is or has on it.

I wouldn't worry to much anyway, worst case scenario its an evil alien planet, we could probably nuke the crap out of it anyway lol or try smile.gif.

Ancient religions all believe in heavens, other places, other worlds, other planes of existence or consciousness. Its mysticism...there's no proof of these things being true. There are a number of devices/allusions that are common to most religions, so quite a few of them mentioning another world isn't odd...nor is that coincidence significant, I would think.

As far as the Mayan calender ending in 2012, different people have been predicting what year it was for awhile. I heard 2008, 2012, 2024, 2018, among others. Some people are predicting that it will coincide with the changing of the sidereal year into the Great Month of Aquarius...of course...the end of the Mayan prophecy seems to shadow the idea of the Great Month of Aquarius (Age of Aquarius) of being peaceful...but so does the heaven myth in the bible, Nirvana in Asia, Scandinavians and Asgard, etc. They sound alike...are they related? I don't know, but I think its the fears of mortality of men and women wanting to find a place where there is no hardship, where peace and prosperity and immortality lie. They are similar not because there is a heaven or Asgard or whatnot...they are similar because men and women are similar now and five thousand years ago...the model has changed little.

That would be counter-point...can you attribute the similarity of these predictions to the similarity of humanity over the thousands of years more than the predictions pointing to some undiscovered place or being? Wouldn't it make more sense and be a seemingly simpler solution?

I've seen a few programs and read a few articles that relate the year 2012, not with planet X or nibiru but with the alignment of the sun to the center of our galaxy or something like that, which is visible as a dark rift in a clear night sky. Some very supernatural individuals also believe that some "trans-demensional" event will happen. Either way we're just gonna have to chill and see if nibiru, ancient civilizations, alien warfare, and the end of the galaxy is really gonna happen.