Head Design

Boersnoes

You think this could work? (check full view, apparently transparency doesn't work on thumbnail version)
[attachment=528:head.gif]

The idea is the coal is resting on a base of clay so the heat gets spread equally.
I might construct this out of allumium, but have to see if I have the skills necesary for that.
Further, the air holes are actually in the side of the head, not under the coal. That way I'm guaranteed to leave all ash behind and not mix it with my tobaco.

Only think I see could be a problem is that the heat of the coal won't be sufficient to heat the shisha enough to make it smoke.

What do you guys think? Edited by Boersnoes

i don't think thats a very efficient design, if anything to make it work you'd need at least 3 coals on there. a majority of heating happens on the inhale, the rapid air movement makes hte coals flare up even more and heat the shisha more for that pull. if air isnt fueling the coals i'd imagine you'd need a boatloado f heat on that bowl. also, if your using natural coals, i'm pretty sure if they don't get alot of air, they just go out... i've tried lighting a bucnh fo nours at once, and when i put one downt to heat the other, the first one will die out before i can light the second one.

it is kind of like the aluminum ring idea already in the how to fun box. should work just fine, but the only problem is that you need head moving past the coal, or it a may go out, b, not preduce enough heat, and c, by pulling the air around the coal, you are also pulling the heat around the coal.

but you could make a replacable thing like that from aluminum.

all you need is a milling mechean and a lathe. have two screans that screw together with .25-.5 inch seperation. stainless steel would be better.

now all you need is a lathe and a mill..... well, and a good chunk of metal.....

but it woulf be nice

• 2 weeks later...
Myes, I kind of dropped this idea.
I tested if the coals burn without any air racing past it. And that works.
But it emits way less heat.
If you add the fact that I need MORE heat to get the layer of clay heated up enough to hit the sisha, you can figure out the result yourself ...

Will ponder over this some more ...