Ash Through Hose?

well today i am trying blowing it out with canned air, so far so good, someone suggested a nammor hose, being new to this i am not in the know of these, whats the deal with them, what makes them better? and thanks for all the ideas

Sorry to get off your topic ahzwald smile.gif

Glad to hear the canned air is working. The Nammor hose is made from a plastic/rubber? hose material that your normal hoses are not made from. They are completely washable, and have plastic mouth and end pieces. They are much larger in diameter than your traditional hoses so they offer better airflow, which generally means more smoke. You also seemed to get a lot more flavor out of the smoke too, I guess I could attribute this to the larger diameter? I don't know, but what I do know is... If you get one you won't be disapointed smile.gif

I think what you're talking about, man, is rust from the metal coils inside the hose. The hose has gotten water in it or been left out in the damp and begun to rust. Thats the black crap thats coming from the hose...there's no way for particulate matter to come through the hose from the bowl. The water stops it...thats the one thing the water does do...filter out large particulate matter.

QUOTE (SmokeMojo @ Jul 20 2007, 06:13 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ash can get in your hose very simply:

Ash falls down through your stem into the water and over your smoke session builds up. This would be pretty hard to see with the naked eye. You smoke, the water splashes into the hose a few times.. Hose dries out, you don't wash it before the next smoke and the particles of ash are now left dried and resting in the hose. You take some hits and loosen up the ash, and then all of the sudden you have a mouth full of gritty bland tasting ash. Voila.

i see your point, but i honestly don't think that ash floating on or in the water could make it to the hose port, unless the water is really full and your pulls make it splash like a mother...

i get crap from my hose once in a while, but it's little particles which are bigger and more solid than the ash

QUOTE (Sonthert @ Jul 20 2007, 06:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think what you're talking about, man, is rust from the metal coils inside the hose. The hose has gotten water in it or been left out in the damp and begun to rust. Thats the black crap thats coming from the hose...there's no way for particulate matter to come through the hose from the bowl. The water stops it...thats the one thing the water does do...filter out large particulate matter.

listen to The Man. I agree. That hose is toast.

QUOTE (SmokeMojo @ Jul 20 2007, 02:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It turns black, which is the presence of carbon. Carbon is a product of combustion.
No it wouldn't necessarily disappear.

If you're getting smoke, you're burning something, there are vapors sure.. But in order to get "SMOKE" there are particulates present. Particulates including unburned organic material (which is what particulate smoke is mostly made of), burned materal, ash, soot and chemicals released in the chemical reaction of burning. When you add heat to anything at a certain extent, it burns. Just because you don't see "flames" does not mean it isn't burning and releasing gases/particles/smoke. In that matter, you also don't need to see SMOKE for something to burn. Toast burns in a toaster but the only effect you see is the carbon buildup on the toast (the brown/gold/black toastedness) and it doesn't disappear.

Sorry, I have much respect for Eric, and he is a VERY knowledgable person. I agree with a lot that he says, but I think you need to let him speak for himself. I have read over his posts before and there is some agreeance between mine and his.

No offense to Eric at all when I say this, and I know we all look to him for answers.. Including myself. You must realize though that he isn't the ONLY person who has done research. There are OTHER people that are knowledgeable here too man, and I think if you reread some of his posts you may want to reword what you said.

Also, if you're burning glycerin and flavorings, what do you think happens to it? It vaporizes yes, vapor is part of smoke. The flavorings are generally molasses or honey. Have you ever burned molasses or honey on a spoon and watched it? It turns black, it smokes, it BURNS. Honey is partially made of plant matter (pollen) and so is molasses (sugar). What is a tobacco leaf? Plant matter.

Bottom line is, you're burning something. That something releases smoke, that smoke contains particulates including ash. Therefore there is a possibility that ash will be present in the hose if you do not wash it. Whether it shows up after one smoke, or several.. If it's there, it's there.

I admit the water splashing theory may be far fetched, and maybe not true, that was simply an opinion, and I noticed I didn't get as much residue when my water was lower. So that was a hunch, your points are well taken on that.

Please though, realize if there is smoke, it contains ash and other particles which can and generally do deposit themselves in the hose and in your lungs.

We need to start a new thread now.

good point, but in the mist of your rant you made one small error. Honey's made from nector not pollen.

well after seeing what you all had to say i got real curious, so i did an operation on the hose......drum roll please....those who said....rust was the problem, take a bow. yes my 6 day old hose is rusted. looking at the nammor ones now

QUOTE (ahzwald @ Jul 21 2007, 08:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
well after seeing what you all had to say i got real curious, so i did an operation on the hose......drum roll please....those who said....rust was the problem, take a bow. yes my 6 day old hose is rusted. looking at the nammor ones now

eeeehhhh...i dont think its completely rusted...maybe...but...like i said...ive had the exact same thing happen to me before that you are describing...i mean EXACT...and after trial and error i can get them smoking good for a session (rinse with water and swing around like a lasso to get water out/loosen particles)...it seems to come back for the next session (dont know how)...but it hasnt seemed to be a permanent problem for me yet...