Smileys Tulip Bowl

Shifty

So I got the tulip bowl from Hookah Company. Initally the glass screen that it came with did not fit as described, so I worked a little magic and fixxed that up. Packed it full of SB Black Grape, topped it off with a Red Kastle Olive wood chunk, and wrapped it all up in a wind screen

So this is the bowl, Roughly 5 inches in height, about an inch and a half across

Since the bowl is shaped from one long piece of glass, looking down through the bowl, what you see is 3 tines at the top of the bowl, designed to hold the screen, and 3 tines at the base, to hold the shisha and let the air flow.

The purpose of the tulip bowl, from what I have read is to keep a small channel of air between the screen and the shisha to keep it from burning, so when packing the bowl, you are to put shisha up to the tines but no higher

Everything set in place you have the screen and shisha, fitting it on the hooka the juices will definately run down through the bottom and collect in the skirt of the bowl.

Lots of juice collects in the bottom and eventually down the stem.

Overall: 7/10

The bowl itself is very pretty looking. The problem is that the size of the opening in the bowl really restricts the airflow. You can't really pull hard on this bowl. It does take a good sized chunk to get everything started, but once the bowl is heated the glass does a great job of keeping everything cooking slowly. It took roughly 15 minutes for the bowl to get cooking, but now the clouds are decently thick and I am getting good flavor through it. It's been about 45 minutes so far, and looking through the bowl the shisha isn't black yet, just a dark red color. I will update the review at the end of this session with the final picture of the dead bowl.

Dead Bowl:

Theres a packet of shisha at the bottom that didn't fully cook, I had to stop the session however because the spent shisha on the top was ruining the flavor and all I was tasting was char.

So, does this bowl keep the shisha from burning? Not really. Is it a interesting concept and a cool looking bowl? Sure it is. But I have a feeling that the same result will happen with each session. Cook the top, leave unused at the bottom, so, potentially this could be more of a waster than a smoker.

But oh well, You guys decide.

Shifty Edited by Shifty

Nice review, We had the same problems with my friends bowl, the juice went down the stem instead of staying with the tobacco, air flow was restricted and an ok smoke overall. Im not impressed by it, Ill stick with my chipped phunnel anyday!

• 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...