On Reality

On Reality

Reality has been a hotly debated subject for quite some time. I think a fresh opinion is sorely needed. Personally I believe there is a true reality. For me the question has always been “can we perceive it”.

In truth we cannot really know anything. This stems from the fact that our reality is based on our perceptions. The validity of this argument is easily demonstrated. Take for instance conditioning; you can actually change what a person preserves. I am certainly not an idealist, and therefore don’t believe perception is reality. However, our perceptions ether gained evolutionarily or by memory, may seriously affect us. We must determine how much it pertains to humanity.

In order to progress we must accept certain things. If we only second-guessed one another we would get nowhere. Personally I believe are perceptions are fairly accurate. It is not as if we are living a deranged dream. Our logic and mathematical systems seem sound. We must realize that anything beyond the perceiver however is mere theory.

To determine a workable reality, we must accept what is most probable. This will most likely be what is real. For example, the chance of us being really trapped in a giant balloon is remote. Our perceptions seem accurate do to the fluid nature of the universe. One man unless insane does not see a house when there is none.

Math is probably one of the best arguments for the validity of our perceptions. Based of course on our knowledge of logic it still functions in disparate circumstances, demonstrated by the lunar missions and various probes. They operated on principles determined on earth in the depths of space. We can see that our perceptions function well, at least in our 4 dimensions. Unless we perceive nothing correctly, our math should be fairly accurate. This does not mean that our math can cover every contingency. Perhaps it fails to operate in dimensions unknown.

Here I will propose an outrageous and purely hypothetical idea. What if say there was a dimension in which when two substances were mixed they annihilated each other. If people developed there (impossible) they would determine 1+1=0. Of course this is but the simplest of math. One would have trouble fathoming their logic base.

Do we have the ability to see what is real? For the most part I contend we do. Does this mean that all our assumptions are right, obviously not.

Important: I apologize for the mention of drugs in this post, but this is a topic completely unrelated to hookahs, or smoking in general.

Personally I think there is more to reality than meets the eye.

This is mainly because I have yet to be convinced that mind-altering mushrooms and other drugs simply distort reality, rather than show us another reality existing within our own.

I have no proof either way really, but I will say that reality is what is percieved by the individual. If you have ever been under the influence of a psyhcedelic you know that for that while your reality can be completely different than those around you, and for that time it is your reality. The only difference being that once the effects have worn off everyone tells you about some crazy thing you did, but which is true?

I think they both are. In your mind (and possibly in another reality created entirely by your mind, or reached through psychoactives) one thing took place, and in the other people's reality something completely different happened. Everything just keeps coming back to perspective, doesn't it?

Dubito ergo cogito; cogito ergo sum.

QUOTE (AKammenzind @ May 14 2007, 10:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Important: I apologize for the mention of drugs in this post, but this is a topic completely unrelated to hookahs, or smoking in general.

This is mainly because I have yet to be convinced that mind-altering mushrooms and other drugs simply distort reality, rather than show us another reality existing within our own.

I have no proof either way really, but I will say that reality is what is percieved by the individual. If you have ever been under the influence of a psyhcedelic you know that for that while your reality can be completely different than those around you, and for that time it is your reality. The only difference being that once the effects have worn off everyone tells you about some crazy thing you did, but which is true?

I think they both are. In your mind (and possibly in another reality created entirely by your mind, or reached through psychoactives) one thing took place, and in the other people's reality something completely different happened. Everything just keeps coming back to perspective, doesn't it?

Well your argument is more reasonable than Timothy Leary’s levels of consciousness. The substances you mentioned are fun and I do partake in them, but the mods might ban you. They are absurdly observant of their foolish anti-drug policy. I once started a topic to discuss it and it was deleted. I was also sent a warning message.

QUOTE (John Stuart Mill @ May 14 2007, 10:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well your argument is more reasonable than Timothy Leary's levels of consciousness. The substances you mentioned are fun and I do partake in them, but the mods might ban you. They are absurdly observant of their foolish anti-drug policy. I once started a topic to discuss it and it was deleted. I was also sent a warning message.

I believe hallucinogens alter your consciousness in a manner that replicates insanity, specifically schizophrenia. The inherent experience may merely represent your brain malfunctioning, and therefore being incapable of properly processing stimuli. It does cause massive random firings of neurons in many sections of the brain. However, I still find it an amusing experience that changes the mundane into the extraordinary. Edited by John Stuart Mill

QUOTE (John Stuart Mill @ May 15 2007, 12:10 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well your argument is more reasonable than Timothy Leary's levels of consciousness. The substances you mentioned are fun and I do partake in them, but the mods might ban you. They are absurdly observant of their foolish anti-drug policy. I once started a topic to discuss it and it was deleted. I was also sent a warning message.

I agree with the anti-drug policy in the hookah discussion, but this topic is unrelated to hookahs, especially considering I was talking mushrooms. C'est la vie

i"m inclined to agree with Akammen that the psychedelics, when done properly, can creat and alterante reality and we can learn from the experiences with these subsantces. And about the mods deleting this, if its a discussion about experiences and what people have learned, not just whoa man I was trippin balls then whats the problem

uni

Where does it say you can ignore the drug rule as long as it's not in the main forum??

Happy vacation guys Uni and AK have 7 days to read and consider the drug rule. Mills you are now gone as you have been warned in the past and seem to think the rules don't apply to you. If you don't like the way the place is run, you now have your chance to go someplace else. Edited by mushrat