Effects Of Vase Size?

Teleute

So I am in the middle of replacing the vase on my hookah-shisha Abyss hookah with this 1 gallon jar and was wondering what the effects of having more air space and more water are. I would imagine the smoke would be denser due to the air space and more filtered due to the water, but I have little experience with these things. Edited by Teleute

The more water the smoke has to travel through (so it's largely how far the downstem is submerged), the harder the pull will be. The more water you have, the more effective it will be at filtering, since it will not be saturated with any contaminants. However, I've never heard of the water becoming an ineffective filter during a session, so I don't expect you'll see any major differences.

I like a lot of water in my hookah. I fill it right up to the point where water will almost get in the hose; it will if I let all the ice melt. I find it helps a bit with the taste, but mainly with keeping it cold.

With mine, i only put the water usually 3/4 inch up the stem or so, never more than an inch... i like it to pull easy, and it cools the smoke just fine, but I always use ice Edited by The King

Yeah, I find my chest hurts the next morning from sucking so hard to get decent smoke if I put the water more than an inch or so up the stem.

What about having more space for the smoke? The water I can pretty easily regulate with the tap on the vase, so if the draw is too hard, I can lower the water level. However, would more space for smoke make the smoke go stale easier or would the smoke be thicker as more is sucked out? This it the part that interests me the most.

QUOTE (Teleute @ May 12 2007, 06:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What about having more space for the smoke? The water I can pretty easily regulate with the tap on the vase, so if the draw is too hard, I can lower the water level. However, would more space for smoke make the smoke go stale easier or would the smoke be thicker as more is sucked out? This it the part that interests me the most.

I've smoked tiny hookahs, and 30+ hookahs...honestly I don't see a common trend among them....certain hookahs hit better than others, but I don't think size has that much to do with it... more smoke might be able to build up, but every hit you take you clear the vase and bring more in... So i don't see it getting stale smoke, or more smoke

if you need to keep the water cooler, try poping the base in the freezer for 30min before smoking. It works HECK of alot better than simply adding ice - which I finds melts way to fast. Freezing the base keeps my water cold for an hour or more.

• 3 weeks later...
my second hookah was a 3 liter pickle jar from costco. the way jars are made, because they are not tapered, means water will get to the top VERY easily, often in the hose, no matter how low your water level is. i've found the tapering of the glass also helps funnel the smoke up, making drawing easier. as far as smoke thickness goes, that is completely dependent on the shish and coals, after a couple hits, smoke density is the same in any size chamber for the same shish/coal combo. i've made everything from a honey jar hookah to a 3 foot tall vase hookah, and have never found differences in the smoke density. if you make a multi-hose, a larger chamber is better though.

Hope this helps!

Yeah as previously stated, aim to get the water above the stem by 2/3cm (I personally aim for), if you get any higher than that will leave less room for smoke and require alot of extra effort.

• 4 weeks later...