Wyteboy Reviews AF Plum!

Ok so today was an AWFUL day at work, just one of "those" days.  All day I kept thinking man THIS is the type of day at work that I bought my hookah for :)
I am so excited to try this plum, I bet it is gonna taste amazing.  (maybe cause I want it to, lol)
Just packed the bowl.  The ma'assel smells AMAZING.  It smells like the type of plummy smell that hits your nose right after you expose the plum "meat" from under the skin.  It is sticky but not really as wet as some of the other AF I have seen and also has a few more stems in it...
I am going to use a 3 kings with this smoke and for the first time, cut it in half before lighting and use 1/2 on each side of the bowl...back in a few and I'll post the review!

OK...wow.
First off, hey Cypress I don't know if you agree but this tastes NOTHING like it smells....I was so excited by the smell but disappointed by the taste...I used one whole 3king (btw, zero charcoal taste i think), and hung it off the edge and moved it around....It didn't really "taste" that much, it was almost sort of tasteless with just kind of fruit undertones....
Cypress do you agree with this assessment?  That being said, had by far the most INCREDIBLE smoke density.  omg, the smoke was so white and so thick, it was like hard not to smile while exhaling!  I will definitely give this a resmoke to try again, but I as of now would not keep this permanently....it didn't have enough taste for me.  I am immediately going to load the fumari white peach in now and will post a review of that shortly.  I rate this smoke a 7, only that high because of the great density of the smoke, but as for taste this is probably like a 3 or 4....Cypress, thoughts?  Fumari white peach coming soon....

Also I meant to say for the first time ever, I got sort of color discoloration and "whitening" of the foil...never had that before.  I put the shiny side down correctly...I am puzzled by this.  Is it bad? does it mean anything? could it affect the taste?  thanks for the input!

Wyteboy,

Give the AF Orange, Grape, Cappucino and Cherry a try if you haven't already... 

Pineapple and Cola were both not so bueno, each having an odd chemical taste.

BTW, I too prefer the 3 kings - never had taste problems (unless I burned the ma'assell)

OK...
The best way to describe the smell of the Fumari White Peach is like if you held a peach up to your nose and took a huge whiff, only the Peach is like 3 days away from being real ripe.
It tastes pretty accurate to how it smells.  I am a big fan of very ripe peaches so I wasn't sure how I much I would like it....Well, it does taste accurate and it tastes pretty good, just not sure if its for me.  It's pretty tarty peach, not very sweet.  Smoke density was very good, good thick smoke.
Overall this is about a 7 out of 10.  I will enjoy another bowl of this (thanks to Cypress) but I probably won't buy it for myself.
I used the same 3 king coal cause it was still very hot and good to go, except this time I got big time discoloration on the foil...never had this happen before...
Since I haven't smoked in a week, I am real anxious to try the flavors I have yet to smoke so I will prob take a break for dinner and head out for a bit, then later tonight light up a bowl of the AF grape or the cola..we'll see.  When I use it again later I will probably use a lemon wood to try and compare to the 3kings I just used.
Thoughts on either of these reviews and also the foil discoloration?
I have the cola and grape left to try thanks to Cypress, so far the AF cherry might be my favorite smoke yet!
I will give all of these a resmoke eventually, but I want to get through everything once.  I will either review the AF cola or the AF grape later tonight.
piper, have you had problems with the foil discoloration with the 3kings before?

Man I am so tempted to give the plum a resmoke...I expected it to taste much fruitier and I wonder if I just happened to do something wrong...
Too many other new flavors to try first :)
But I am curious for reviews from anyone who has tried the AF plum...

sorry for so many posts but I think of something else I want to ask RIGHT after I send a message...
also random coal question, the lemon wood sometime are weird shapes and they don't really TOUCH the coal directly, is that a must? or can the coal be so hot that it can be a mm or 2mm above the foil and still produce enough heat for a good smoke?
Still unsure about the big foil discoloration.....thoughts and input on this are really welcomed.

WB...

The foil discoloration may be just oxidation from the heat, but I must
say I'm probably not qualified to make that call.  I seem to
recall that happening when I was using foil.  But it didn't kill
me either (well, not yet). Just from
experience most metals seem to discolor somewhat with heat. 
Another thing to check is how well lit are the 3 kings coals before you
drop 'em on the foil?

I resolved the problem by using the steel screens.  No more burnt
ma'assell due to "foil sag", faster setup, etc.  Downside is takes
longer to get lit sometimes.

At any rate, I will take a close look at my screen tonight after I smoke a bowl...  In the name of research, of course

Thanks piper! Anyone else on the foil discoloration?
I'll be working 60 hrs in the next 3 days so I won't be hitting the hookah again til Monday morning I think....
May try the AF grape AND the cola too tonight, we'll see :)
May try one more 3 kings and then a wood coal on the 2nd bowl.

OK I can't take it, the urge to try all this stuff to find out what I want to have permanently is literally overwhelming, LOL!
AF cola is next.
1) This has fewer stems than any other AF I have had except the cherry
2) This smells FUNKY...very chemically, but even weirder it smells like carbonation.  I didn't know carbonation could smell...think of how like carbonated water would smell and then try to just isolate how the bubbles themselves would smell....that's sort of how this maassel smells lol, with a slight hint of sweetness.
Gonna try this with a lemon wood I think in a bit.  Will post the review in awhile...

OK this is the weirdest smoke ever, very interesting.
Keep in mind I originally told Cypress he probably didn't need to send the Cola as I didn't have much interest in trying it, but he insisted anyway and boy am I glad he did.
I was mentally a little reserved in trying it.  This ma'assell tastes like coke-air.  Imagine jsut what you think, like what breathing in air that tastes like coca cola would taste like?  That's what it is.  That and there is almost a carbonation-bubbly sort of sensation at the back of the throat, just like you're drinking it...
Very interesting. For those who like cola or really like a cola maassel, I would probably give this a big 9 05 9.5 or something.  For me, I will enjoy another time when I am in a weird mood smoking the rest of this Cypress samples for sure, but I don't think I would buy this.
Smoke density and thickness was OUTSTANDING!  Smelled very good too!
Also, a little piece of the maassel slipped through the hole in the bowl and I guess went through the stem and into the water...this happen to anyone ever? is it bad?
I may quit for the night or I may go off the edge and go for some AF grape or some HH margarita before the night is over :)

ALso I used a lemon wood....after using the 3kings before I came up with a few things
1) Lemon wood are so much more work and they are ton more messy/ashy
2) They are weird shapes and are hard to keep in direct contact with the foil, though I did not get the discoloration that I did with the 3kings
3) It is hard to tell....they might be the SLIGHTEST more tasteless than the 3 kings...but if the 3kings add any taste I think it is almost negligible and they are much less work.  Going from the 3kings to the lemon wood, if I do do one more bowl tonight I am gonna use anothe 3 kings and this time really try to see if I can taste anything....
As far as ordering Golden, I can only order them if I decide to order some Romman samples and at 4.95 for 50g I dunno.  Math, any chance I could buy just a couple goldens from you? I really wanna try em just to compare to the 3kings, but not worth really buying a whole 1/2 box which is how they sell em...I'd pay you for a couple....if not, I understand completely and no worries.

It's funny to have a thread where 11 of the 13 posts are mine but it seems barely anyone is on tonight (it is a friday night, but i have to work tomorrow morning so I am not going out)
A friend is coming over now and really wants to try Margarita...this will be my 4th bowl tonight and I already promised a friend I'd try a flavor with him in the morning. 5 bowls in 36 hrs. at least I am trying all this stuff :)
Boy am I gonna need a break :)  HH Margarita review coming later tonight!

Hey Wyteboy! 

I just wanted to congratulate you on some really awesome reviews! I
think you did a really good job of giving me a mental picture of many
flavors that I havnt tried before.

I've never tried Fumair White Peach or Al-Fakher Cola but after
reading your reviews I certainly want to! Sounds like I could take or
leave the Plum but those other two would be deffinately worth trying!

As far as the foil discoloration goes I think Piperdown is right
on the money with the oxidization theory. When I used to use foil I had
the same thing happen all the time with Three Kings coals and never
thought anything of it really. It never seemed to affect the flavor of
the smoke or the buzz so I was never too worried about it.

And yes, every now and then little chunks of massell will get sucked
down the stem into the water. Thats nothing really to worry about
either though, it does happen from time to time and doesnt really
affect much of anything about the smoking.

Anyway, your reviews were really great to read and I'm glad your
enjoying your hookah smoking experiance so much. Just be careful about
those Golden Coals, I can get out my webcam and show you scars from
them

ZJZ thanks a ton! I actually tried to base mine on your reviews!  Tried to paint more of a picture!  Glad it worked :)
Good to know about the foil oxidation not being bad or creating chemicals, etc.
first question before my review of margarita, is can a coal be TOO hot before you put it on? like i took my 3king absolutely bright red, glowing, was partially lit on the electric stove and put it right on the foil...is that "too" hot?
Also before I start, I will probably give the plum a resmoke within 2 weeks because I just want it to be better than it was, lol!  I got through so much tonight, I have just 4-5 more Cypress flavors to try, then its a Nahkla Strawberry 3rd review (just for you lol) and then gonna order samples of AF and GS AF...
Without further waiting...:
1 word: YUCK.  Cypress, I hope you don't take this the wrong way or that I am any less appreciative in any way at all for what you have sent me.
OK, the smell....BOOM!  I smelled the container and it smelled EXACTLY like a good stiff 'rita should.  It smelled just like a margarita you'd get and it comes to you and you take a big whiff. It's a 80 percent tequila, 20 percent sweet/sour mix smell...I was excited by the smell.
I packed the bowl and decided on a 3king, because the lemon wood I used on the AF Cola smoked real well, I wanted to go back to the 3king and see.
omg EWWWWWWWW.  The first 2-3 hits were ok, not great but sort of tasted lemony-limey, and then it was like BAM, burnt a$$.  Tasted like someone lit a margarita on fire and served it to your charred.   I immediately thought maybe the coal was too hot or maybe Math was right after all about the gross taste of 3 kings...I took off the coal and checked the bowl, completely fresh, no char or burning of the ma'assel at all....SO I washed the 3kings out and put on a fresh lemon wood piece, this could be the true coal test I was looking for!  Still, so disgusting.  It just tasted harsh and not good.  Every hit I was having to hold in to avoid from coughing and I didn't like the taste of it either.  To give a different perspective, a friend of mine is a big grass smoker and a big tequila drinker and he loved it.  He liked it better than the HH pineapple that we smoked a week ago.
Maybe I have really virgin lungs (as i have stated) or maybe this smoke just wasn't what I expected or would like, but it definitely wasn't that flavorful and it was really harsh...with the 3kings the foil was VERY "oxidized" where the coal, moreso than it was with the Cola flavor, but even with the Cola flavor the taste was fine throughout.
I understand Nahkla mixed fruit has exclusive rights to a 1 out of 10 so I would give this a 2 out of 10.  I am not a big fan of grapes but everyone on here raves about the AF grape and Cypress was kind enough to send me some of that too, so if it is as refreshing as everyone says then it will be a nice change tomorrow morning before I go to work.  THen it's a 3-4 day self-imposed break from the hookah! :)
Others' thoughts on any of the flavors I have reviewed today? similar/different experiences?  Thoughts on 3kings being good or bad?  I would say I am definitely still a fan.  It sucks that lemon wood are so hard to get a decent piece that will stay in direct contact with the foil (that is necessary, right?) because the pieces are so oddly shaped.  I wish they made lemon wood in squares or triangles.
Anyway, those are my reviews and my lungs are grateful I am stopping at that! :)  All the input you guys have is welcomed!

The next few times I smoke at home, I am gonna resmoke some of the flavors I liked or really want to try again, the AF cherry, plum, fumari white peach, HH pineapple or something and use the viviwood coals and see if my memory of the flavors changes at all with the vivi...I have liked them as well when I have used them before, though I haven't seen them anywhere.
Math, didn't you say there was an online store you knew of that sold vivi?

Plum has a buttery type flavor. I dont smoke plum as often as I do the others. But I do taste it.

The white discolorations is oxidization.

I do like White peach. The tartness is great.

Cola is one of my favorites especially Cherry Cola.

Margarita is for only one of those days I want a good buzz. The taste doesnt match the smell.

You need to figure out which coals you like the best.  Different
coals give you a different taste and different heat from one coal to
the next.

Oh, and I am working days through Sunday so I dont get on the internet
when I get home from work. As is I am on the internet for 12 hours at
work.  My day starts at 3:50 in the morning when I wake up for
work. And I get home at 7 in the eveining. I dont do hard work but i
get paid the bucks for the crazy hours. At least I only work 14 days
out of the month and get a full week off per month with days in between
shifts.

Hey Cypress, that sounds sweet, only working 14 days out of the month!! :)
Do you think my desription of the margarita was accurate and I just don't like it or is that not what it tastes like for you when you smoke it?
Off to work in 20 mins for the next 15 hrs, joy.

anyone tried fumari cream soda? Just wondering, it sounds interesting.
based on size and common stock on one website, it looks like I will be making AF my permanent brand, HH is too expensive for me right now and also only comes in 250g.  Once I get settled on my flavors I won't be smoking all too often, not more than once a week, so to buy a 250g I think it would go bad before I could finish it all.
Right now I would keep AF Cherry...but I am very excited to try the grape next week and I absolutely cannot wait to order the AF strawberry and the two GS AF samples I want to try....
I am wondering about the coal thing, seems I am still struggling to find my niche.  The next time I smoke I am gonna use a 3kings and then a vivi wood coal to try the difference...that margarita last night made me worried about 3kings even though I had enjoyed it, but then the taste was just as gross with the lemon wood.  Are nour finger coals weird shapes or are they like squares?  Also what about the japanese coals with the silverish coating that burns off, are those good or do those add taste??  Thanks guys, have a good Friday!

Nour is just a cylinder that is about 1 inch round and about 6-7 inches
long. All you do si break off what you need.  Japanese coals IMO
give off a funny taste with that silvery finish.

Are you having doubs about your coal.  Sounds like you are not going to be smoking enough to really get away from 3 kings.

As far as the margarita is concerned its a verr different taste. Some
people might not like it but I think you might have burned it. HH does
not require as much heat because the cut is so much smaller.

Most of the taste with AF has been awesome....
Cypress I thought I may have burned it too but when I looked under the foil there was no char and it was all still fresh looking.  Is it possible for the coal to be TOO hot when you first put it on or do you want the coal as red and glowing as possible??
I know I said I would take a break but today might be the worst day of work I have had ever.  I was assigned a 6hr project with only 1.5 hr of time to do it and with NO warning.  I need the hookah tonight :)
Have yet to decide if it will be AF grape or HH hazelnut, but either way I will post a review tonight.  I am going to use a 3 kings tonight and then the next smoke I will use a vivi wood coal.  Also, this weekend or Monday I am going to order the 3 AF samples I want to try so those should get here late next week or early the following week and then I'll have a permanent list ;)
Anyone tried the Cream Soda from Fumari? Just wondering....anyone else feel like Math has been on here MUCH less?  math, where you at buddy?!

I just wrote this really long review and it all got erased :(...so here is the abridged version
Review AF Grape:
1) Used a 3kings and got a great smoke.  My friend also agreed that he doesnt think there was any charcoal or ash taste to the smoke whatsoever.  To finish this coal debate, before I try anything else I am going to smoke af grape next but with a vivi wood coal.  This will either be tomorrow morning or sometime next week.
2) This smelled real good, but not very natural.  Like grape jolly rancher smell but mixed with a chemical kind of.  It tasted good too but not overpowering grape.  Sort of like....think of the aftertaste in your mouth after eating a grape blowpop or lollipop.  The flavor of that aftertaste in your mouth is kind of like the flavor of this ma'assel.  Nose hits really reveal the grape flavor.
3) I nejoyed this smoke very much even though I am not a huge grape fan so that tells you something!   The smoke density was once again outstanding (come to apprecaite this from AF) and the buzz was not too heavy at all, barely there.
4) I want to order AF samples to arrive the beginning of next week as this coming week will be my reviews of hazelnut, menthol, a Cypress apple mix and one last nahkla smoke for ZJZ :).  If I send a MO to BNN on Wednesday, would it ship on Monday?  How much is shipping from them and have people had good experiences? 
5) People who have smoked hazelnut...does it totally stay in the hookah smokes later?  I will use a different, crappy hose I have, but I plan to wash the stem and the hose with water afterwards...would that clean it sufficiently?
6) I think that's it...if you are a grape fan, then TRY THIS! I rate it a solid 8.5 out of 10 and will strongly think about keeping it around...I think that's all...have a great Saturday guys!  I'll be working for 12 hours :(