Indian Tobacco + Molasses

Scarecrow

I bought some tobacco off the indian reserve for cheap and figured I would try to make my own shisha with some pure molasses. The tobacco is a cigarette cut and not at all like any hookah tobacco I usually buy. I heated the molasses on the stove until it was warm eneugh that it flowed easy and then poured in the tobacco and mixed it around. It wasnt easy but by the time it was done I had about 1kg of shisha. Now the smoke test. I tried to take an area with as little molases as possible, but it was still more moist then regular shisha. Anyhow I used a regular Mya bowl and thew on 3 small pieces of Nour coal. Taste was actually good! Tasted like those cheap molasses candies that you get at halloween with the ghost on them. The smoke however wasnt strong at all so that was a downer. The other issue I had was after awhile all the molasses blocked the holes of the bowl making it hard to smoke. The bowl dint last more then 30 minutes before it turned into the most solid brick of shisha I had ever seen. Couldnt even get it out of the bowl without force.

Now I figure I will let the tobacco sit long eneugh the excess molasses makes it to the bottom. Another idea I have is using this as a shisha booster for those funnel bowls. Since it seems to cook much faster I will try putting it as a layer at the bottom of the bowl and have some quality tobacco ontop to see if when the shisha juices get to the cig tobacco it gets any of the flavor and still cut back on the huge smoke time on the tangiers funnel bowl.

QUOTE (Scarecrow @ Apr 26 2007, 08:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I bought some tobacco off the indian reserve for cheap and figured I would try to make my own shisha with some pure molasses. The tobacco is a cigarette cut and not at all like any hookah tobacco I usually buy. I heated the molasses on the stove until it was warm eneugh that it flowed easy and then poured in the tobacco and mixed it around. It wasnt easy but by the time it was done I had about 1kg of shisha. Now the smoke test. I tried to take an area with as little molases as possible, but it was still more moist then regular shisha. Anyhow I used a regular Mya bowl and thew on 3 small pieces of Nour coal. Taste was actually good! Tasted like those cheap molasses candies that you get at halloween with the ghost on them. The smoke however wasnt strong at all so that was a downer. The other issue I had was after awhile all the molasses blocked the holes of the bowl making it hard to smoke. The bowl dint last more then 30 minutes before it turned into the most solid brick of shisha I had ever seen. Couldnt even get it out of the bowl without force.

Now I figure I will let the tobacco sit long eneugh the excess molasses makes it to the bottom. Another idea I have is using this as a shisha booster for those funnel bowls. Since it seems to cook much faster I will try putting it as a layer at the bottom of the bowl and have some quality tobacco ontop to see if when the shisha juices get to the cig tobacco it gets any of the flavor and still cut back on the huge smoke time on the tangiers funnel bowl.

Interesting project. Sounds like you used more molasses than optimal. Suggest adding more tobacco, and some water to mix it all evenly. Then gently heat the mix until it's absorbed. I'd maybe try baking it in a pyrex loaf pan at 250 degrees for 15 minutes. Stir it up and bake again if still too wet. The water must be gone before you are done. Keep an eye on it though, it can easily burn. Set it aside uncovered for a couple weeks. This allows the molasses to really penetrate the leaf structure. Some say freezing it will do this as well.

What you have at this point is essentially traditional zagoul. Macho men put coals right on it with no foil. You can add a bit of glycerine, flavor essences or mix with standard flavored shisha. Once you put glycerine into it, you must use foil - bare coals will give you a lungful of what tastes like smoldering candle wick.

Enjoy tongue.gif

QUOTE (azcoyote @ Apr 26 2007, 03:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Interesting project. Sounds like you used more molasses than optimal. Suggest adding more tobacco, and some water to mix it all evenly. Then gently heat the mix until it's absorbed. I'd maybe try baking it in a pyrex loaf pan at 250 degrees for 15 minutes. Stir it up and bake again if still too wet. The water must be gone before you are done. Keep an eye on it though, it can easily burn. Set it aside uncovered for a couple weeks. This allows the molasses to really penetrate the leaf structure. Some say freezing it will do this as well.

What you have at this point is essentially traditional zagoul. Macho men put coals right on it with no foil. You can add a bit of glycerine, flavor essences or mix with standard flavored shisha. Once you put glycerine into it, you must use foil - bare coals will give you a lungful of what tastes like smoldering candle wick.

Enjoy tongue.gif

Where do you buy molasses, or you make it? how?

QUOTE (icra87 @ May 3 2007, 03:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Enjoy tongue.gif

Look in the baking isle in your supermarket close to the sugar, cornsyrup etc. It's cheap.

• 5 months later...
QUOTE (azcoyote @ May 3 2007, 09:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (icra87 @ May 3 2007, 03:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Enjoy tongue.gif

Look in the baking isle in your supermarket close to the sugar, cornsyrup etc. It's cheap.

i was tried to make my owen shisha as you sied but i couldnt gate the flavor please can you help me