How do you tell your bowl is done?

It's all about heat management to squeeze out every single bit of smokable tobaccy in your bowl. I usually try to end my smoking before it gets to harsh, just so my sessions end on a good note :) If it was getting harsh, and unpleasureable no matter where the coals are, I'd say it's a good time to stop.

great question. If your lazy, and its been a while since you started, once your still pulling large clouds, but they have no flavor then your tobacco is shot. Now if your brave, and you packed your bowl properly (1cm or less from foil, not touching!) remove the foil, flip the 'puck' and put a new foil and at least one half fresh charcoal. Flipping the puck exposes the fresh unsmoked tobacco to the heat of the charchoal.

[quote name='[LB']]great question. If your lazy, and its been a while since you started, once your still pulling large clouds, but they have no flavor then your tobacco is shot. Now if your brave, and you packed your bowl properly (1cm or less from foil, not touching!) remove the foil, flip the 'puck' and put a new foil and at least one half fresh charcoal. Flipping the puck exposes the fresh unsmoked tobacco to the heat of the charchoal.[/quote]

Forgive me if I sound mildly retarted, but the tobacco shouldn't touch the foil? Just when I start thinking I'm not a n00b anymore... :roll:

[quote name='Krautle87']Forgive me if I sound mildly retarted, but the tobacco shouldn't touch the foil? Just when I start thinking I'm not a n00b anymore...  :roll:[/quote]

Different strokes for different folks. I like to keep mine from touching, that way i don't burn my tobacco. This just happens to work best for the way i pack my bowl and perform heat management. I know a lot of people who have their foil touching the tobacco.

Yer, i'll go with that too.

Plus when you get that burnt layer on top i think it creates a burnt heat barrier for the tobacco below.

Now, when is the bowl done?
- Either the smoke is thin and i have had enough
- I'm onto the 2nd set of coals and the smoke is thin
- I've had enough!

JD

If you see the head as part of the Shisha, then naturally, the foil has to be on the shisha as it HAS to be on the head ;)
Whether it touches the molasses/tobacco, is a different story.

The problem with the tobacco touching the foil though, is the fact that very quickly indeed, you'll get burnt bits of tobacco touching the foil resulting in the whole shisha smoking pretty harshly pretty quickly.

You'll be able to tell, because the moment you remove the foil, you'll find the tobacco stuck to the foil, with half the stash practically unburn because you've just burnt the surgace.

some touching won't make too much a difference and as I said is inevitable if you want a long smoke (with more molasses), but ideally, it should be as little as possible.

also, I tell when the bowl is done, when the taste isn't as good any more and there is little you can do with the coals to revive it. I'm not one to mess about with the tobacco under the foil to 'revive' it. When it's done for me, it's done.

Often there is wet tobacco at the bottom of a bowl, but its like boiled vegetables...something has been boiled away. Gravity and suction suck the juice downwards, drying out the upper areas of the tobacco. Additional heat now makes the tobacco burn, making it harsh. The juice at the bottom has lost alot of flavor and glycerine....it is a shadow of its former self...don't worry about it. When it stops smoking to your satisfaction, stop smoking it.

I use to have my tobacco touch and now pack less not touching and it lasts about the same and I don't waste as much

[quote name='Cicada']i recently switched to the "foil not touching" camp. that way, my smoke doesnt hash out as fast, and i actually pull thicker smoke that way.

not to mention less wasted shisha.[/quote]

[quote name='jonny_lech']I've tried doing 'no touching the foil' but I can NEVER seem to get enough heat to have a satisfying smoke. And it takes a long time to 'come up'. Am I doing something wrong here?[/quote]

I don't think so, thats why I'm a member of the "foil touching" party.