buzz kill(ers)? [literally]

first off, I'm not a long time tobacco user. That being said, I got my hookah yesterday in the mail and proceeded to try ALL of my sample flavors that came with it, with 3 or 4 friends. We smoked 3 bowls; YARGH;
of nakhla :shock: . Needless to say, I ended up with a nasty headache by the end of the night. My friends who regularly smoke cigarettes noted a pretty intense nicotine buzz by the end of the session as well, and possible slight headaches.

SO, any remedies for nicotine headaches?

please dont say; dont smoke three bowls of nakhla. ive figured that much out. Im looking for reactive solutions, not proactive ones :lol:

[quote name='chubby']first off, I'm not a long time tobacco user. That being said, I got my hookah yesterday in the mail and proceeded to try ALL of my sample flavors that came with it, with 3 or 4 friends. We smoked 3 bowls; YARGH;
of nakhla  :shock: . Needless to say, I ended up with a nasty headache by the end of the night. My friends who regularly smoke cigarettes noted a pretty intense nicotine buzz by the end of the session as well, and possible slight headaches.

SO, any remedies for nicotine headaches?

please dont say; dont smoke three bowls of nakhla. ive figured that much out. Im looking for reactive solutions, not proactive ones  :lol:[/quote]

They sell nicotine filters that you put on the end of the hose (mouth piece) to get rid of alot of nicotine or you can buy starbuzz brand the tobacco because it is (washed) so the nicotine is way less than nakhla.I overly highly recommend starbuzz watermelon the flavor simply kicks ass.

The nicotine filters give it a weird taste, I used one once and the taste made me sick. Try a glass of water and some good ol pain relivers, which ever you use, that and some fresh air should get rid of it

Ok - from my experience (i'm a hardcore lightweight when it comes to hookah buzz), you ALWAYS wanna have a nice big meal before you smoke. It's good to be FULL. On top of that, take in some sugar (smoking drops your blood pressure, sugar helps keep it up). It's good to continue taking in sugar while you're smoking too. Aside from that, if you get a bad buzz and really have to get rid of it, mix as much sugar as you can stand in with some water (it makes me want to puke but it WORKS). Down it and it should really help your buzz out within a pretty short amount of time.

That's about it except don't take puff after puff after puff in a row. Let the hose rotate around with your friends.

As for brands that still taste great and lack the massive buzzery, you'll wanna try Starbuzz (very good but not the only good washed brand), Layalina (liked by almost all, says it's unwashed but anyone that's smoked it knows otherwise), Al Fakher (gives me a nice buzz but to others it doesn't), Al Almir (blackberry is among the best, period. some flavors SUCK big time), and if you want to try the stronger brands like Al Waha, Nakhla, or Tangiers - just handle with extreme care before you realize how much smoking them effects you.

Edit: Power naps work wonders on hookah headaches too.

A few minutes of slow, deep breaths of fresh air usually clear up the headaches or the uncomfortable feeling before a headache for me. I know this probably isnt the kind of response you want either, but fresh air breaks in between bowls or after a number of hits would help prevent them too. Better yet, smoke outside, if you werent already.

As far as i know, sweets just help with the weed effects, but I cant say I've tried it for nicotine headaches, so who knows. Water could help too, but I find it unnecessary when you already know how bad the headache will be to get some air. Aspirin or whatever obviously could take an edge off, but I'm sure you already thought of that.

If there was a defined reactive cure for nicotine headaches, trust me, I'd be first in line for it, being the lightweight that I am. The best advice I can give is to slow it down, hookahs are for chillin out and takin it easy, and avoid secondhand hotboxing that eventually happens in a non ventilated room by stepping outside for a minute or two.

PS: dont smoke three bowls of nahkla :wink:

eating first always helps for me. eating after does sometimes too. But i always feel bad if i smoke when i havent eaten anything. Can always got for an advil or something.

When I eat right before I smoke I dont get much of any buzz at all. I usually wait at least half an hour or so after a meal to smoke hookah. But I guess its true that eating beforehand reduces headaches.

Edit- I know that still doesnt answer your question of curing the headaches instead of preventing them. :?

continually drink cherry vanilla dr pepper with extra sugar added XD then add in 1 excedrin migrane in the can, then maybe another bag of sugar, and boom headache will be gone in a good 10 minuets :P yea had one last night and thats what worked for me.

To be completely honest with you, I had headaches for a very long time after I started smoking hookah. I noticed that the intensity of the headache varied with the type of charcoal that I used. I am used to the nicotine intake so my headaches are gone. I took a friend to the hookah bar once and hes a pretty heavy smoker and even he had a slight headache. I would recommend not using quick lights because they are all chemicals and that can contribute to your headaches. Also, I find smoking outside under the stars the best because you are constantly getting fresh air and that helps flush your system of nicotine quicker. The headaches that I experienced were more neckaches than anything. The worst that I experience with hookah was my heart rate jumped to over 200 bpm and I almost passed out...That happened once and never again, it literally scared the shit out of me.

Hope this helps

[quote name='JonnysGirl']<snipped> it literally scared the shit out of me.

Hope this helps[/quote]

I'm sorry, I just had to :) good contribution in the post though. I have usually had my worst buzzes off quicklights as well.

Yes, this is true.. We were smoking at my friends house and we went downstairs to light our standard top pick of coals and when her mother came back she was bitching about something that smelled funny, so we were basically forced to purchase a few for lighting outside because her mom (my friend is 21 and lives with her parents, free rent) does not know that her daughter smokes...

Oh, yeah. Try getting more airflow by poking more holes, this thins out the smoke by mixing it with more air. You may have to put more tobacco in the bowl to compansate for the difference in draw. If the draw is real tight, that might explain headaches, too.