Help Buying My First Hookah

As with everything I'd greatly appreciate the input of pros who have much more experience with hookahs than myself. I prefer to get things done right the first time. 

I'm looking for a hookah to smoke indoors, in a dorm type environment, that has the following qualities 

• Won't tip over easily 
  • Preferably all metal (I don't want the glass base shattering due to some imbecile) 
  • Quality piece of course 
  • Easily cleaned, however I'd prefer to get something for durable at the expense of providing it some more TLC
  • Functionality is my main thing - I don't care much for aesthetics otherwise I'd get a showpiece 
  • Not really sure how many pipes - I'll let you recommend me what is best, but I think 2 would be my minimum since it is more of a social activity 

If you could recommend me a specific pipe and vendor that would be awesome and thanks a lot for helping me out!!! Also any other tips or comments would be highly appreciated! 

PS - Are there any good personal hookahs to use, while studying or reading that can happily fit on a desk? 

I'd say give MYA a look, they have some models with plexi glass bases that don't really give a fuck about getting knocked about that are larger as well as some smaller models that can easily be a desktop pipe. Though I study and smoke frequently and just have a large pipe next to me on the floor with a hose that's easily long enough to manipulate in such a way that it doesn't make anything uncomfortable.

I'd say give MYA a look, they have some models with plexi glass bases that don't really give a fuck about getting knocked about that are larger as well as some smaller models that can easily be a desktop pipe. Though I study and smoke frequently and just have a large pipe next to me on the floor with a hose that's easily long enough to manipulate in such a way that it doesn't make anything uncomfortable.

Do you have any particulars models in mind? 

What are the major differences between MYA and HM? 

If by HM you mean KM meaning Khalil Mammoon then MYA is a more modern brand, one of the few brands with modern looking Chinese made pipes that are actually quality stuff. They're inexpensive and will last you a long time. 

KM is the other end of the spectrum in terms of design and materials. They're heavy solid pipes, traditional design and also high quality durable pipes.

Really it comes down more to personal prefference than anything else.

As for models, my friend has one of these. The plastic base is solid and hasn't cracked or anything and it's a few years old, has had it's share of knocks and such. Though you will want a different hose for your pipe. For tabletop pipes look at the petite or bambino.

If by HM you mean KM meaning Khalil Mammoon then MYA is a more modern brand, one of the few brands with modern looking Chinese made pipes that are actually quality stuff. They're inexpensive and will last you a long time. 

KM is the other end of the spectrum in terms of design and materials. They're heavy solid pipes, traditional design and also high quality durable pipes.

Really it comes down more to personal prefference than anything else.

As for models, my friend has one of these. The plastic base is solid and hasn't cracked or anything and it's a few years old, has had it's share of knocks and such. Though you will want a different hose for your pipe. For tabletop pipes look at the petite or bambino.

That's exactly what I meant. KM. Sorry was tired when I posted it.

What do you think of a brass pipe? I was reading that it oxidizes and is a pain in the ass to clean. Do you have any personal experience with one?

Moreover is there a particular vendor who has the best prices or service? 

Thanks again! 

PS - What hoses are best and why? 

Brass is generally good, yes it does oxidize and it can be a bit of work but I think it's worth it, damn good looking stuff. I can't really go into vendors cause I'm not in the US so I don't use your sites or know your prices though. Hopefully someone else is gonna chime in here!

Brass is generally good, yes it does oxidize and it can be a bit of work but I think it's worth it, damn good looking stuff. I can't really go into vendors cause I'm not in the US so I don't use your sites or know your prices though. Hopefully someone else is gonna chime in here!

Gotcha. Mind if you elaborate on the work that brass entails? 

Also I forgot to mention. I would like a pipe I can keep for a long time and it would be wonderful to be a nice looking piece to display as well even if I don't smoke it. But I primarily care about functionality. 

Seems like KM, some Syrian, Turkish, and other Egyptian fit the bill.  

The work brass entails depends completely on how much you care about your pipes looks. For me it's a utility thing, brass pipes are solid as fuck. I don't care that it doesn't shine like gold. So it's pretty standard washing etc. after smoking and all that, if you want it to shine then you might wanna polish it every now and then. I think Chris used brasso or something along that name on his and his pipes looked fucking gorgeous before he sold them off!

I'm currently using a Turkish pipe and have been for a few years now, it's holding on strong. Same would go for Syrian or quality Egyptian like KM. Any of those choices will give you a reliable pipe, as for aesthetics, that part is up to you!

The work brass entails depends completely on how much you care about your pipes looks. For me it's a utility thing, brass pipes are solid as fuck. I don't care that it doesn't shine like gold. So it's pretty standard washing etc. after smoking and all that, if you want it to shine then you might wanna polish it every now and then. I think Chris used brasso or something along that name on his and his pipes looked fucking gorgeous before he sold them off!

I'm currently using a Turkish pipe and have been for a few years now, it's holding on strong. Same would go for Syrian or quality Egyptian like KM. Any of those choices will give you a reliable pipe, as for aesthetics, that part is up to you!

Thanks for the solid info! 

Edited by Kings39

Sorry I'm a bit delayed on getting to this thread!

To answer all your questions above:
-Won't tip over easily and tabletop: Have a look at some of the glass pipes available, such as Roi, Lavoo and Art. For the most part, they are relatively durable, but they usually have stable bases from what I have seen/heard. I wouldn't get one for any purpose other than tabletop, and since I don't want a tabletop pipe, I haven't got one. As Bawhee mentioned, MYA is a great choice for tabletop, and personally I like the Bambino, though any of their pipes are solid. I will say this though, do NOT buy a MYA Econo. Econo basically means it does not have the quality a normal MYA has, and the 15-20 you'll save on getting an Econo pipe will not be worth it in the long run.

-All metal: I have had metal bases, and I never use them. If you DO want all metal, including the base, you are probably best looking at Farida. To my knowledge, they are the only company worth a damn that has metal bases, though it has been a year or two since I have heard much talk about them so I'm not sure how easy it will be to find one of those. The other thing to remember with that is that those pipes are going to be big, definitely not table top pipes. Once you get used to a pipe sitting on the floor (in a chair, the coals are about belly height), it is actually MORE convenient and stable than a tabletop pipe. Just something to consider. But, back to bases. Bases are cheap. Don't worry about someone breaking one, they are all interchangeable and easily replaced. In a decade of smoking, I have broken one base, and it wasn't during a session, it was when I put hot water (to clean) and then cold water (to smoke) in the base and it cracked. Pick up a roll of fabric hockey tape (the kind you put on the blade of the stick), use that to make a gasket and you'll get a good seal with whatever base you use.

Any quality pipe will be well built and easily cleaned. If you can't easily clean it, it's not quality.

I recommend you go with KM to start with, they are a trusted name in pipes for a reason. I will say this though, stay away from the following types of pipes: chillers, rotators, electroplated/anodized finishes and multi-hose pipes. You want an all metal pipe, so you're going to want to be able to clean/polish it like an all metal pipe. Electroplating/anodizing (quad-tone) makes that impossible and is a real pain in the ass. Chillers and rotators add more complexity (see, harder to clean, more places to leak, more places to break), and if you want solid and reliable, you don't want either. Multi-hose pipes don't work the way you wish they would. If it's a social thing, you want to pass the hose. It will give you a more reliable, better smoke when you don't have to worry about having a seal on the second hose. Sure, there are ball bearing sealed one-way joints on any good multi-hose pipe, but at the end of the day, it's just another place for problems to crop up. You want one bowl, one hose port, one purge, and the least amount of joints in between those as possible, if it's reliability that you're looking for.

If I was to give a recommendation it would be for something like this.

Here are a bunch of other options from 5Star. I have had good experience with them over the years, and while they may not always be the cheapest, they have a good selection.

I have personally never used them, but many people rave about Hookah On Mars. If I was to pick a pipe for you to go with on their site, it would probably be this one. It's a great price for a solid pipe. Make sure you buy a good quality washable hose (I personally am a fan of the Thunder hoses) and a solid bowl (I broke mine, but I had good experience with The Godfather bowl and you can never go wrong with any of the Tangiers bowls. I personally prefer the Small, but it all depends on how long you plan on smoking for). My biggest advice to you, don't cheap out on a bowl. You can make any bowl smoke good, but good quality bowls make it effortless. For coals, I use Coco Ultimate's, but any quality coconut coal will work well for you. I use a Kaloud Lotus as well, but I recommend you don't get one until you learn/master heat management with foil.

If you've got any more questions, don't hesitate to ask! And, welcome to the forum!

@â€On

Thanks for some great information brother! I might go shopping in NYC and see if I can get a wholesaler to reduce their price for me. Seems like I'm gonna for a KM. 

If I'm personally shopping for a hookah is there anything you recommend I look out for and against? 

No problem, that's what we're here for!

-Check the welds/brazing joints on the pipe. Often, places will have multiples of the same pipe, find the one with the nicest looking joints. What you're looking to avoid: porosity (small holes in the joints), very dirty joints, joints that look like they have little grains of sand in them. Most of the time bad joints will have zero effect on functionality, but they do certainly look cheap and MAY affect durability if the pipe gets knocked over or something.
-Check the hose and purge ports for functionality (it is rare, but sometimes during manufacturing a shred of metal will somehow get into hose port and partially block the passage. Also, try and check for clean passage through the hose port. A small flashlight should help you there, and while it might be a bit weird, if you want to be thorough, it's a good idea.
-Check that the downstem is not bent or kinked in any way (easy enough, just look through it and you will be able to tell, rotate it in your hands and if it visibly doesn't look straight, try another). Again, won't affect functionality, but if you're being thorough....
-Don't worry about tarnish. If the pipe is metal and not coated, anything can be polished off. See my post here if you need convincing. Since we migrated the forum, some of the picture links are broken, so here is the direct link to the album.

I would also check the base for stability and if it wobbles on a flat surface (pretty common tbh) ask them to give you a different base with it. Dark bases can look pretty cool, but they are also a pain in the ass to fill up and clean, so I recommend you get something lighter in colour (or at least something you can see through relatively easy, my personal favourites are all a kind of Teal colour). 

No problem, that's what we're here for!

-Check the welds/brazing joints on the pipe. Often, places will have multiples of the same pipe, find the one with the nicest looking joints. What you're looking to avoid: porosity (small holes in the joints), very dirty joints, joints that look like they have little grains of sand in them. Most of the time bad joints will have zero effect on functionality, but they do certainly look cheap and MAY affect durability if the pipe gets knocked over or something.
-Check the hose and purge ports for functionality (it is rare, but sometimes during manufacturing a shred of metal will somehow get into hose port and partially block the passage. Also, try and check for clean passage through the hose port. A small flashlight should help you there, and while it might be a bit weird, if you want to be thorough, it's a good idea.
-Check that the downstem is not bent or kinked in any way (easy enough, just look through it and you will be able to tell, rotate it in your hands and if it visibly doesn't look straight, try another). Again, won't affect functionality, but if you're being thorough....
-Don't worry about tarnish. If the pipe is metal and not coated, anything can be polished off. See my post here if you need convincing. Since we migrated the forum, some of the picture links are broken, so here is the direct link to the album.

I would also check the base for stability and if it wobbles on a flat surface (pretty common tbh) ask them to give you a different base with it. Dark bases can look pretty cool, but they are also a pain in the ass to fill up and clean, so I recommend you get something lighter in colour (or at least something you can see through relatively easy, my personal favourites are all a kind of Teal colour). 

Thanks a lot. This is exactly what I needed.

By any chance what kind of pipe is the one you are polishing in the album? 

It's written in the album title, it's the KM Basha, By the way, if you look at that style it's a pretty good indicator of what an Egyptian pipe would normally look like, especially the hose port and the purge valve of that type are typical on Egyptian models.

It's written in the album title, it's the KM Basha, By the way, if you look at that style it's a pretty good indicator of what an Egyptian pipe would normally look like, especially the hose port and the purge valve of that type are typical on Egyptian models.

Wow I feel stupid haha 

Just wondering how exactly is a purge valve used?  Sorry I never made my own hookah, so I got no idea. 

Purge valve is the sort of cylindrical thing opposite the hose port, it's used to blow out the smoke from the vase mid smoke if it gets stale or burnt or whatever issue you might have with it, and then seal back so that you can smoke without air leaking in there.

Purge valve is the sort of cylindrical thing opposite the hose port, it's used to blow out the smoke from the vase mid smoke if it gets stale or burnt or whatever issue you might have with it, and then seal back so that you can smoke without air leaking in there.

Thanks! 

I learned a lot here haha! 

By the way, you might find pipes without no purge valve to look fantastic (as I do) and want one immediately. Wait until you're more experienced with smoking, heat management etc. before you go for that though, they can be tricky for newcomers!

By the way, you might find pipes without no purge valve to look fantastic (as I do) and want one immediately. Wait until you're more experienced with smoking, heat management etc. before you go for that though, they can be tricky for newcomers!

That's good to know. 

I would have done that too haha