had i might buy 2 regular bowls and cut the top off of one and epoxy it
to the other

NERV,  I like your idea but I have to say I dont know how safe
that would be.  I dont htink the epoxy could handle the heat, and
could melt in your bowl getting on your tobacco, and you would be
inhaling the vapors from the epoxy. So I suggest you research epoxy and
expoxy based resins before you try this. ANd if you find that epoxy CAN
handle the heat and when set it isnt harmful, then I guess it will be
ok. But Dont try it untill you researched epoxy based resins. 
Dont want you getting sick from trying something new.  

Hummm???
I wonder if you can make your own??? There are tons of Pottery places poping up where you make your own mugs/plates/bowls, you paint it and they have a kiln<sp?>(Big Hot oven thing) to put it in.  Even the mall by me has a place like that in it.
I wonder if you can go to one of those places and MAKE YOUR OWN?? Then you would really have a one of a kind, and while you were at it make a couple.
Just a thought?

i would go with Craigs idea and try to make one. you could get clay somewhere and if you have to you could probably fire it yourself. that would probably be your best bet to make exactly what you want

i really think my highschool ceramics teacher fired potsand stuff in a regular fire, i wasn't there much so i could be totally wrong with that one.

Yeah most universities have a kiln, my old GF had lots of fun there.
She paid a flat fee and went to town making some things. Sometimes you
can also find a potter's collective or some other organization.
Regarding fire, the native Americans used fire and coals, not ovens or kilns to fire their pots.
I studied pottery for a semester of native American pottery works 900-1600 AD.
Corrugated, black on red, polychrome, Kidder, Mera.....
However I didn't do any fire pottery myself. .....

In other news, I've just moved to a new place and I'm still in the
process, that's why y'all haven't heard from me for a while, but I'm
back!
Will read and respond to relevant posts when I have time.
My site needs updating, I have to answer emails as well.
And my computer table broke so I have to fix that as well!

--Reiner

Oh yeah and regarding epoxy, it hardens very well and can handle a lot of things.
I would trust it over any glues any day. It gets hard as a rock!
 If you start tasting funky chemicals I would stop though!
Should be OK since you're not using direct heat. It's definitely safe lower down the bowl.

Guys I am a ceramics teacher as well as a ceramics artist and sculpture.  Your average clay is fired to 1800-2100 degrees in a kiln.  And as far as epoxy goes, while it is a wonderful chemical bonding agent, the key word there is chemical.  Even long after it is dry you will taste it in your smoke.  And I am pretty sure its not too healthy but you will be sick of the taste long before you are sick from the taste.  [b]If anyone would like some information on making custom bowls, or if you would like to hav ea custom bowl made.  Contact me, I can hook you up.[/b][b]  [/b]and as far as the pottery places you are all talking about go, they are paint your own pottery.  you dont actually make anythign there.  You glaze it and then they fire it for you in theri kiln.  REgualr fire does work sometime but leaves very brittle or most often exploded clay with smokey after tastes.  They dont get hot enough to do the first firing unless its a specific wood fire kiln that is a three day process to reach the correct temperature.  But I wont go on and on.  Just contact me if you want more info.

[quote name='Sean']Guys I am a ceramics teacher as well as a ceramics artist and sculpture.  Your average clay is fired to 1800-2100 degrees in a kiln. [/quote]
I yield the floor to Sean!
My knowledge of pottery firing is limited and is only from an archaeological point of view as native Americans did fire/coal firing with indigenous clays.
Part of doing this though is doing this YOURSELF and being proud of the achievement. Perhaps Sean and I could collaborate on a coal firing tutorial or find one online? Unless Sean wants to do [url="http://www.seansbowls.com/"]www.SeansBowls.com[/url] haha. I have no idea how those would be made initially though......
Jeff T.: Yeah I'm in PHX. Firing in a regular fire wouldn't work, but firing in a thick bed of red hot coals would. One would bury it in the coals, and then recover the pottery after the fire cooled. Some results with infused air, some without, it's a big can of worms here that I won't go into. Like I said, I yield the floor to Sean!
--Reiner

well im not tlaking about transfering im tlaking baout holding up to
the heat without releasing chemicals, untill sean contacts me im gonna
continue researching the idea, tommorow i will stop by home depot and
find out what they have with the highest melting point

• 2 years later...
i was checking out old threads and thought this was a pretty crazy idea. cut one bowl and make an extension on the other. Last week, i was at a party and i saw a bowl with an extender that slid into the bowl to make it bigger. I couldn't find the owner of the hookah anywhere so I couldnt figure out where he got it. anyone ever see one of these?

NO!

Just in case any one else is reading this resurrected thread biggrin.gif

QUOTE (NERV @ Nov 8 2004, 01:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
is epoxy strong enough to handle the heat from a bowl without releasing
any nasty chenicals? i was thinking since i cant find a tall bow like i
had i might buy 2 regular bowls and cut the top off of one and epoxy it
to the other
Edited by hookahmike