Official Smoking in a College Dorm thread

get a centrifugal blower style fan.like this one:[img]http://www.fao.org/docrep/S1250E/S1250E8C.GIF[/img]just go to home depot and find/make one to fit in your window since it only opens 5 inches. it should be able to move enough air and be fairly quiet.you dont need much airflow really. we smoke inside at my house all the time, and we sit around a fireplace with a gas flame set on medium low, and the updraft from the heat sucks all the smoke right out!

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

holy crap man it sounds like you planning a murder. Just buy a windcover and go to your local park. Its not as convenient as smoking at home but then again so is duck taping a smoking alarm.Also on that note why don't you just turn it off. Surely it needs to have its batteries changed.

[quote name='nuschultz']Persian, most dorm systems tie into the electrical system and have back up power.  There is no "off".[/quote] So do all the lights turn off at 11pm like a prison block. But here in Aus most smoke alarms are battery operated devices that you stick on to the roof.

I think a college campus using smoke alarms that have an Off button would defeat the entire purpose of having a smoke alarm - everyone would just turn it off.It's been said, but yeah, most smoke alarms detect when there's no air circulating through and will set it off.I had to argue with the RA's in my building to let me smoke the hookah outside, and after much discussion, they've not only allowed me to smoke outside the building, but are encouraging me to have a "hookah informational night" where I basically show everyone that Hookah != Marjuana

A friend of mine in another non smoking res-hall told me his RA said its fine for them to smoke hookahs in their dorms. Im going home this weekend and so I'll be bringing my QT back up to school with me. When I get back I think I'll just ask my RA if its alright for me to have my hookah in the room as long as the roommate is fine with it (which he is). I figure its a cant lose situation to ask. He says yes and that would be awesome. He says no and I have to be cautious about smoking in the room which I would have to do if I dont ask anyways.

[quote name='Evil_Spork']get a centrifugal blower style fan.  like this one:[img]http://www.fao.org/docrep/S1250E/S1250E8C.GIF" />  just go to home depot and find/make one to fit in your window since it only opens 5 inches. it should be able to move enough air and be fairly quiet.  you dont need much airflow really. we smoke inside at my house all the time, and we sit around a fireplace with a gas flame set on medium low, and the updraft from the heat sucks all the smoke right out![/quote] I was wondering why someone put up a picture of a Centrifugal Supercharger on here for a sec... [IMG]smileys/smiley5.gif[/img]  lol - carry on :)

[quote name='Anpu'] [quote name='Evil_Spork'] get a centrifugal blower style fan.  like this one:[img]http://www.fao.org/docrep/S1250E/S1250E8C.GIF" />  just go to home depot and find/make one to fit in your window since it only opens 5 inches. it should be able to move enough air and be fairly quiet.  you dont need much airflow really. we smoke inside at my house all the time, and we sit around a fireplace with a gas flame set on medium low, and the updraft from the heat sucks all the smoke right out![/quote] I was wondering why someone put up a picture of a Centrifugal Supercharger on here for a sec... [IMG]smileys/smiley5.gif" align="middle" />  lol - carry on :)[/quote] [IMG]smileys/smiley4.gif[/img] thats just the idea... lolthey have Ionic Breeze look-alike fans with centrifugal style fans in them. theyre tall and skinny, so that would be perfect for a window that wont open much. or if you dont want to allow alot of cold outside air in by having a sliding window open only a little bit. also those things can move an ungodly amount of air!

[quote name='Anpu'] [quote name='Evil_Spork'] get a centrifugal blower style fan.  like this one:[img]http://www.fao.org/docrep/S1250E/S1250E8C.GIF" />  just go to home depot and find/make one to fit in your window since it only opens 5 inches. it should be able to move enough air and be fairly quiet.  you dont need much airflow really. we smoke inside at my house all the time, and we sit around a fireplace with a gas flame set on medium low, and the updraft from the heat sucks all the smoke right out![/quote] I was wondering why someone put up a picture of a Centrifugal Supercharger on here for a sec... [IMG]smileys/smiley5.gif" align="middle" />  lol - carry on :)[/quote] [IMG]smileys/smiley4.gif[/img] thats just the idea... lolthey have Ionic Breeze look-alike fans with centrigugal style fans in them. theyre tall and skinny, so that would be perfect for a window that wont open much. or if you dont want to allow alot of cold outside air in by having a sliding window open only a little bit. also those things can move an ungodly amount of air!

What I sort of want to know is why are all the universities in the states set up like this. In almost ever other country I have been to basically the standard way of doing business is to have the university surrounded by cheap one bedroom apartments. That way you still have your own kitchen, bathroom, living room and dignity. I am sure there is party atmosphere since everyone is only a metres from each other on a saturday night but these stories about security guards patrolling the hallways sort of disturbs me. Edit: BTW if I am sort of going of topic and disturbing the thread feel free to tell me to stop

Well, I live in one of those apartments near the campus, but my school has apartments like Persian just described, only with 4 to 6 indvidual bedrooms, on campus, which I used to live in. And the door to the apartment opens to outside, so there is no hallway to patrol. And there are massive parties in these apartments that are rarley broken up, I used to carry cases of beer up to mine. Pot is smoked in these apartments, and the RAs never cared, so hookah was easy to get away with as long as your room mates didn't care. THis seems like the way it should be, so I am always shocked when people describe there schools where the cops and RAs have a massive stick up there asses.

How do you guys go about lighting your coals in the dorms. I assume you are using quicklights as most colleges don't allow hotplates. Is there any concern with all the sparks that fly off the coals? I dont want the carpet to catch on fire and burn down the building. Or is the sparking really not going to cause a problem? Theres some people down the hall from me with a hookah too so I need to find out from him if he just smokes in the room and what precautions he takes for it too.My 28" Social Smoke comes tomarrow I can't wait to break it in.

The sparks shouldn't be an issue. Get some sort of office chair plastic thingie so the wwheels slide across the carpet easier and use that. I regularly use chairs as wind breaks, 2-3" from a hookah and sparks don't affect things. Of course, I use Japanese coals that don't spark much. Be careful...don't leave anything unattended...put out any fires immediately.

[quote name='Alex']How do you guys go about lighting your coals in the dorms.  I assume you are using quicklights as most colleges don't allow hotplates.  Is there any concern with all the sparks that fly off the coals?[/quote] Get a metal garbage can or a flower pot or something similarly fire-resistant, and light it in there. I've never had a problem lighting coals, but my idiot roommate once dropped a hot coal on my area rug. It was synthetic, so it just melted instead of flaming.I've never had a problem with hookah smoke setting off smoke or heat detectors. (Most smoke detectors don't even pick up cigarette smoke.) However try to get a coal that doesn't smoke much when you light it... the coal smoke can be a problem occassionally.

• 3 months later...
i have smoked everyday for three month in my dorm and got caught tonight. My friend left the door open and some R.A.s smelled it. It really sucks but o well, its not going to stop me from smoking.

Anyon else smoke in their dorm room?

Moving this to the appropriate section, and also recomending you use the search function for: "dormroom" and read the numerous threads on the topic.

I smoked in my dorm room multiple times per day through my fresh/soph year and never got in trouble. But all my RAs were cool, and I regularly drank/hookah'd with them, so I covered.

But its understandable as to why most schools go ape shit for students smoking indoors. Mainly because every once in a while a student gets careless and knocks over the hookah (coals go flying and burning shit), or someone tosses a cigg bud into the trash setting it on fire etc etc.

At my school actually, someone burned down a couple rooms in the dorm from a unattended candle a few years back. So I don't blame the school at all for being so strict. Just have to be safe/sneaky.