Hookah Throat ?

Very New to hooka......Have a tightening feeling in my throat which is felt only on the day after smoking... I use ice in the base...I place the coals around the bowl, heat management n all that, I enjoy the experience but this damn throat feeling is worrying..... Am I doing something wrong? And I don't like the sound of equivalent to 50 cigs a pop! or should I say pipe!?!

Sounds like you may be getting harsh smoke even though you're using ice in the base. Try giving less heat a shot and see if that helps.

Also, if you're referring to the thread about shisha being as bad as cigs, I think most of the "studies" against shisha are pretty biased and have a LOT of false info to say the least.

Something like this also occurs in tobacco pipes called tongue bite. It's a sign that the bowl is to hot. In the end go for flavor not clouds. Clouds are nice but flavor should be what really matters. Certain tobaccos aren't meant for
Monstrous clouds so either switch tobaccos or pull the coals back a little ad try using a wind cover Edited by Coleman

Sometimes its also because of the Coal Quality .... We had some problems long time back with one kind of coal we used i cant mention its name here !

Try smoking a session with less/no ice in the base, you'll taste much quicker when the shisha is burning. Just need more practice is all. I've been smoking a while and am now just finally getting all the tricks down packed. Learn and experiment with ONE kind of bowl, smoking a normal egyptian for me is a different process and heat range than smoking in say a vortex or phunnel bowl with different types of tobbaco. Also, mint flavors can be a double edged sword, sure they taste and feel great, but you can be burning it without getting the full burnt taste effect, an hour later your throat will be funky feeling.

My favorite setup atm is just a vortex bowl, use a super juicy tobbaco (I dont order online much because of the freaking shipping so I'm kinda stuck to wha tthe two smoke shops in the area have which is usually only fantasia in 50gram packs D: )and with 3 coco's around the rim at first, after, about 5 minutes i rotate them slightly to the spot that wasnt heated just to get the whole bowl hot then start smoking, most sessions now i can keep going for a minimum of an hour and a half without much effort and still have good taste all the way through and clouds thick enough that it messes me up while playing BF3 on my computer because I cant see lol. And if you're just starting, i strongly suggest staying away from quick lights, if you dont light and let them burn off properly, your session will be horrible, I've had people tosss quick lights on too early and it prety much soakes into the shisa and i cant get the taste of it away. Buy you some good naturals and just toss them on the stove top or buy a 10 dollar table top burner.

If you're using ql's, definitely make the switch to natty's. I use CocoJamra, and the difference was mind blowing. No more side effects (head ache, sore throat, etc.), great flavor and long sessions. Invest in a windscreen as well, if your hookah can accomodate one. You'll have even longer sessions, use less coal and get nice big clouds.

[quote name='romzz' timestamp='1342032657' post='551410']
If you're using ql's, definitely make the switch to natty's. I use CocoJamra, and the difference was mind blowing. No more side effects (head ache, sore throat, etc.), great flavor and long sessions. Invest in a windscreen as well, if your hookah can accomodate one. You'll have even longer sessions, use less coal and get nice big clouds.
[/quote]

agreed.. btw. i love your sig.

Oh wait. We may be missing the most obvious answer here. What hookah/hose are you using? See, today I went to a friend's place and all he had was a pumpkin (sigh), and even though I was against it, he set it up and we smoked for a bit, and after coming back home, I felt a tightening feeling in my throat as well, which I attributed to the setup being so restricted when it came to airflow. I was obviously having to pull much harder on a pumpkin with a fail hose, and for me, that was the reason for that feeling.

I was gonna say after seeing vimals post no one asked what kind of pipe he uses, which does make a difference. then i was going to also comment on how coleman is making up things now to make him self sounds good or to make his saying or phrase Hip lol

but yah just maybe cut back on smoking if you have not being doing it for a long time, might be ur body telling you to slow down.
  • Upvote 1

Yea.... Experience really at the end bray I suppose , switching tobacco is on the cards as I've tried two those of coals.. I thought wind shields were only for smoking outdoors? Think I did the 'throat' damage in the very beginning. I m using one coal n moving it around the edge every 15.mins it so...

Yeah well coal control depends on the bowl the tobacco and the coals and how you pack it. Maybe take a couple days off see if ur throat feels better. Hopefully it does