Hookahs I Designed And Built

Khyperian

Here is part two.

Same design info as in the Part One posting

The Paisley/Olive Wood Model

This last one is my most recent build. I designed it to be easier to pull as it has a larger internal stem diameter. Again thanks to Pier1 for another excellent vase. I have another one of

these vases in red. Can't wait to see what I'll make out of that one. The stem decorations are white pine and olive wood, the two contrast nicely I think. The pipe stylus on this one is Titanium, another nice addition if you ask me. It is about ~980mm (39") high and wieghs ~11 Kg (24.2 lbs)

[center][attachment=4916:Paisley.Olivewood.Hookah.01.jpg] [/center]

Here it is dis-assembled. You can see the bowl with the threaded attachment, The wood stem decorations, The upper and lower smoke tube. The lower one has a thread on diffuser. The main base with blow-off valve. The pipe stylus with the hose above it.

[attachment=4917:Paisley.Olivewood.Hookah.02.jpg]

Here is another shot showing half of the stem decorations assembled on the upper smoke tube. You could make what ever you wanted here. Just have a hole through it and you can slip it over the tube.

[attachment=4918:Paisley.Olivewood.Hookah.03.jpg]

I love these things. Building them was a labour of love. According to my wife I am almost obsessed with hookahs. Every time we are out I’m looking at vases thinking whether or not it could make a great hookah.

The thing is, they are now starting to take up a lot of room. My studio is filled with extra parts and other designs/prototypes on the go. I need to make some room. So I was thinking of putting them up on Ebay and selling them off to good homes. Good idea? Any Thoughts?

The price would be kind of high compared to other hookahs so I’m not sure anyone would be interested, in the defense of the price though, this would be the last hookah you would need to buy. I can't imagine it ever wearing out. These designs are so durable and robust that, I think, they would do well in a hookah lounge. Especially since you can clean/sterilize them so easy.

This forum is full of talent and knowledge, not to mention wisdom, I would like to know what you guys think.

Looking forward to the comments.

I think if you can, selling homemade hookahs would be a very fun way to make some extra cash. These are great! I'm sure plenty of folk would want to buy them. Even ones not from here. ha.
Great job, though, once again. [:

Those are very smooth.

Great looking creations, very unique. I'm sure you could sell them or even start making "custom orders" if you wanted, the demand is out there.

hey man they look awesome! Do you make the heart piece yourself? Never seen one quite like that before looks great! If you need any custom vases, or glass parts in general to add to your hookahs i'm interested in doing a collaboration, perhaps 2 hookahs so we each can have one! I could make some awesome glass parts to complement your wood parts and we could get something really different and beautiful. Check out my hookahs www.jacobmoskowitz.com -- more to come soon, about to start some new ones, i'll think about some accent parts, how big does the inside diameter need to be to fit over your stem shaft?

Awesome work!

Jake

[quote name='poncho' date='14 June 2010 - 07:06 AM' timestamp='1276495592' post='471628']
hey man they look awesome! Do you make the heart piece yourself? Never seen one quite like that before looks great! If you need any custom vases, or glass parts in general to add to your hookahs i'm interested in doing a collaboration, perhaps 2 hookahs so we each can have one! I could make some awesome glass parts to complement your wood parts and we could get something really different and beautiful. Check out my hookahs www.jacobmoskowitz.com -- more to come soon, about to start some new ones, i'll think about some accent parts, how big does the inside diameter need to be to fit over your stem shaft?

Awesome work!

Jake
[/quote]

Jake,

Sorry it took so long to get back to you. Between the world cup and late nights at work I have just been super busy.

Anyhow, All the parts , including the heart piece, are made from scratch by me. Awesome work on your website BTW. I just had a look. A collaboration would be interesting. I have been looking for someone who worked in glass for a while, but they all seemed a little to artsy, I need someone more technical. The shaft diameter on the paisley/olive wood hookah is .680"+/-.005. Currently the thru hole on the wooden stem decorations is .750". Lots of clearance and they self-center well.

Thanks for the custom vase offer. I'll check my leftover parts, I'll bet that I might have a threaded vase flange or two lying around and get back to you with some possible sizes for the vase neck. What kind of tolerances do you work to? You seem to gind your mating surfaces. Is that manually on a wheel or do you use a machine similar to a cylindrical grinder?

I was also thinking about a multi-chambered hookah. Any thoughts? Maybe a series of glass spheres around a central hub.

Looking forward to talking with you more. Where are you located?

J