Hookahs I Designed And Built

Khyperian

OK,

As promised in my introduction post here are some hookahs I have made.I hope you guys like them, and I’m looking forward to you comments.

First a little background.

After my first Hookah experience I decided that I wanted my own Hookah. So I bought one. It was pretty good and smoked fine but I wanted something more. So decided to make my own. I wanted it to be durable (almost indestructible), easy to clean, and a flexible design that could be easily modified to allow the owner (me) a certain level of creative freedom in making it his or her own. So I could change its look when I felt like a change. I designed these from scratch (every part of them), Machined them myself from solid stainless, polished and/or finished them myself.

These hookahs are made using solid stock. I used 316 surgical grade stainless steel for the majority of the parts; however for the external connector parts I have used 304 food grade stainless. I really wanted to make something that was going to last, something that could take heavy use. I also wanted something with standard seals so I didn’t have to order special parts whenever I lost or wore out something. I liked the idea of off-the-shelf standard o-ring as seals throughout. I also wanted to be able to keep it spotlessly clean with out labouring over it. That’s why all the parts thread together and can be quickly assembled or disassembled. Once fully disassembled they can be put through a dishwasher to be cleaned and sanitized. This makes a very pure smoking experience and very sanitary hookah. Also this makes for a very portable hookah. I love to take them with me to parties and other get events.

These things are super durable.

Details of the design…

The seals at the base-to-vase, base-to-blow off valve, hose-to-base, and hose-to-stylus joints are red food grade silicone o-rings. The hose inside the fabric shell is also food grade super-flexible silicone.

The bowls are bonded to a threaded fitting with a high-temp silicone. I did this because I noticed that once the taper for the bowl became wet or covered with tobacco juice the bowl never slipped on as tight for the next session. This way the bowl always makes an airtight seal.

The blow off valve on the side on the main base threads into the base and seals with an o-ring making a perfect positive seal. I preferred this to the usual ball valve as the seal is better. It does mean the you have to unscrew it about two turns then blow out and then re-seal which is a bit more labour, but its worth it for a perfect seal.

The hose attaches to the base and pipe stylus with the aid of a flange held in place by a locknut over which the hose covering fabric is held in place. Once the flange makes contact with the o-ring at either joint it just takes another quick quarter turn and it’s sealed.

So here they are...

The Two Purple/Black models...

These two are part of three that I made in the same batch about 6-8months ago. I always make at least two, just in case something goes wrong during manufacture. In this case three was the magic number. I only just finished the stem decorations after suffering a little creative block. I originaly found the vases at Pier1 and they became the inspiration. They are mouth blown in Turkey and are stupendously heavy. They are pretty much identical.

[center] [/center]

Here is a shot with one assembled and the other with of all its parts dis-assembled.The only difference between these is that the one in the back has a threaded bowl while the dis-assembled one has a taper attachment for the bowl.

Other than that its architecture is identical.

[attachment=4914:Purple.Black.Hookah.02.jpg]

[center] [/center]
The One Paisley-Red Model...

This is the third of the batch. Its only difference is that it has different stem decoration colours, and a longer pipe stylus. Oh, and a bubble deflector above the diffuser inside the vase. Other than that it will break down just like the Purple/Black ones.
[attachment=4915:Paisley.Red.Hookah.01.jpg]

I have another one I'm going to post in part two.

What do you think of these so far?

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
First off these look really good, I am especially impressed by the metal opening around the vase, very well done.

Couple of questions:

1) You mention that your bowls are screwed on with silicone, can you show up close what you are talking about? It looks like your using a normal bowl and gasket, I was just curious what you were reffering to.

2) Why is your stem going into the vase so short?

3) Is this thing stable? It looks like it would be super top heavy.

• 2 months later...