Boro Glass Stem Hookah

Jimbo64

Howdy,

A project I've been working on for a little while now, is a glass stemmed hookah. This uses a 1/2 inch diameter piece of heavy wall boroscilicate (pyrex type) glass tube. The tube the hose attaches to is glass as well.

These are attached to a turned billet aluminum base, and fits in a standard hookah vase.

Its a dream to smoke thru....

[img]http://www.swansonkites.com/pictures/hookah/hookah01.jpg[/img]

[img]http://www.swansonkites.com/pictures/hookah/hookah02.jpg[/img]

Comments are welcome :)

P.S. You will be able to buy these at a future date.

Jimbo-

I have a boner. In fact, I'm pretty sure I will need to see a doctor in about 4 hours when it hasn't gone down.

Seriously, I love the glass tubes and as a mechanical engineer, I love the aluminum base even more. Very well done.

Hello,

The glass is epoxied into the aluminum. The epoxy is designed to break down at around 300 degrees F, so if you break a stem, it can be replaced. I've tried other means, but I like this method best.

As for it being "Fragile", well it is glass, but being borosilicate (Like Pyrex) its extremely tough stuff.

I'm currently working on fittings that allow the use of standard hoses as well as my own hose design. My hose is a smooth bore FDA grade silicone, and easy as heck to clean. The smooth bore makes it draw really nice :)

As for a purge valve, yes they will have them on the single hose model.

I'll post more pictures soon.

Jim-

This is quite beautiful I love the way you can see the smoke traveling the tubes. i would love to use glass. Can you heat and bend the glass for different designs? Have you tried incorporating an LED to make it glow?

• 5 months later...
[quote name='williscal36' timestamp='1284098895' post='481792']
Is there anywhere like home depot or a similar hardware store that would carry glass tubing like that?
[/quote]

no there isn't really, but you can order it from many places, www.waleapparatus.com, www.glasscraftinc.com ect. or maybe i can send ya a piece or two but its a pain to ship only one long piece.

• 3 months later...
No kidding. If he doesn't make it to market, I think I can manufacture one in the college's machine shop, but as it's his idea, and a good one at that, I'd love to give credit where it's due. If it's been cancelled as a pipe dream, no pun intended, I'll have a sketch done in Wildfire by Wednesday lol.

• 5 weeks later...
Feel free to make and sell as many as you like :D

I sell these to friends and friends of friends, lol.

The glass stem is the greatest improvement there is for serious smokers. I've never run a brush or anything through my stem, just hot tap water. Its still crystal clear.

The biggest issue is the crappy vase necks. The diameters are rarely consistent which makes using O rings tough. I machine each stem base to match the vase (base) I use. If you break the vase you need to buy a new one that fits the same.

I'm working on a new stem base that will fit a bigger span of vases but it wont be aluminum, it will be polyurethane. The stem will pull out easily, as well. So you could have multiple length stems, as well as simple changes to how many hoses you can use.

Jimbo-

I've already got a drawing put together based on what I saw from the pics and some careful guesstimation. Would you be willing to post a few more shots, such as the top, as well as the OD's of the two pieces of Boro you used? Also, is it one huge piece of glass from top to bottom, or is it one piece for the downstem and one for the actual shaft?

• 2 weeks later...
The glass tube is all the same, its 1/2 inch OD heavy wall. The stem is all one piece, and I've made them 14-36 inches long. I make my own bowl gaskets that only taper on the OD or outside. The inside ID is a straight hole with a single raised ring to assure it seals to the stem. I've also turned aluminum tops that epoxy on and take a regular seal and hold an ashtray. I broke my camera eons ago, and haven't replaced it yet, but one of these days I'll try and get some more pictures posted.

I've done these with copper covered base seals, copper ivy wrapped around the stem and base, I tend to try new things pretty regularly.

Jimbo-

• 4 months later...
i'm actually really interested in fabing one of these for personal use. Would it be possible to just order a certain length of glass tubes and a certain type of stem in order to run the tubes through them? or will i need to machine the stem and tubes? I have access to a dremels and a array of power tools just no CNC machines and mills lol.

Edit: Holy thread revival Batman! Edited by Riktar