Homemade Base

delSol_si

Way to go, I like it. Sure, it doesnt look great, but you could paint it and I think it would look pretty good. One question, how the hell do you know how much water to put in it?

One more thing, where in gods green earth did you take that picture, a boys locker room? Edited by coplinb

Haha, thanks guys! I know it looks ghetto as hell, but I didn't know what else to do. I looked at 5-6 different stores (including hobby lobby) and found NOTHING! I found one vase at Hobby Lobby, but it was $35, stood like 2-3 feet tall, and was ugly and not clear. To fill it with water, I just put in about how much I think it should be, stick the stem in (w/o the grommet), then pull it back out, look how high the water is on the stem, adjust accordingly, keep doing that until it is where I want it, then stick the grommet on and put her in! Ya, it is a bit more work, but like I said, not sure what else to do. I am planning on either buying one from a guy off the forums or from hookahcompany.com, so I shouldn't have to fuck with this much longer. I will probably still use it as my travel vase so I don't have to worry about breaking the new vase. I get soo many more weird looks carrying this thing down to the smoking lounge than I did before. I guess people just aren't used to seeing someone carry a 32" hookah around the dorms. And yes, this was taken in the shower room in the dorms I live in. That huge ass ugly sink is where I clean my hookah. Stem doesn't fit all the way down, so I angle the stem to the right(over the side of the sink, where there is a drain on the floor) and funnel the water through the stem with my hand.

Oh, and you are correct, this set up cost me like $25. I could have gotten away with $12, but then the base would have only been like 3" wide and I didn't was to take the chance of my hookah falling over and breaking my phunnel bowl. Figured the extra $13 was worth not going though the aggravation. I still have a good 2 feet of the PVC left if anyone wants it, lol.

QUOTE (cotsi95 @ Apr 18 2009, 02:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i give you an A on making due with what you have but id just check out some craft store for a vase that would work, It would look better and might be safer as well.

What do you mean by safer? Is it not safe to be smoking with a PVC vase? Not arguing by any means, I am truely curious, I don't want to be doing something unsafe.

QUOTE (cotsi95 @ Apr 19 2009, 10:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Did you use any pvc glue to glue it? I probably doesnt get hot enough to release any chemicals but i wouldnt use it just to be safe.

Thanks for the heads up, but no, no glue was used. I didn't use any sealants of any kind. I bought a screw cap for the bottom, but after much hassle, I still couldn't get it to seal, so I put a plastic bag between the two bottom couplings (as you can see the red horizontal stripe). Other than that, pure PVC(did use my original grommet though). I did do the blow and suck test and it is air tight.

actually now that i think about this, you never want to breath through a pvc tube...i cant exactly remember why but it has something to do with tiny plastic pieces coming off...

there is some post somewhere here that gives better reasoning on what materials to use and what not to use....

• 7 months later...
[quote name='ryno' date='20 April 2009 - 04:42 PM' timestamp='1240263758' post='362266']
You know can get clear pvc right? That would awesome
[/quote]

Do you have any idea how much that costs for something that size? He might as well buy a boho at that rate.

[quote name='indian_villager' date='17 December 2009 - 01:55 AM' timestamp='1261032922' post='439792']
[quote name='ryno' date='20 April 2009 - 04:42 PM' timestamp='1240263758' post='362266']
You know can get clear pvc right? That would awesome
[/quote]

Do you have any idea how much that costs for something that size? He might as well buy a boho at that rate.
[/quote]

For the most part you have to buy it in bulk. Back in the day I used to get it from [url="http://www.spudtech.com"]http://www.spudtech.com[/url] Havent been on there in awhile though. It was reasonably priced for a foot of 4in

Edit- After checking, it went up a little in price

• 2 weeks later...
[quote name='delSol_si' date='20 April 2009 - 10:04 AM' timestamp='1240247088' post='362130']
QUOTE (cotsi95 @ Apr 19 2009, 10:14 PM) Thanks for the heads up, but no, no glue was used. I didn't use any sealants of any kind. I bought a screw cap for the bottom, but after much hassle, I still couldn't get it to seal, so I put a plastic bag between the two bottom couplings (as you can see the red horizontal stripe). Other than that, pure PVC(did use my original grommet though). I did do the blow and suck test and it is air tight.
[/quote]

Teflon Tape-It is your friend. Just wrap the threads, and voila.
[url="http://homerepair.about.com/od/termsst/g/teflon_tape.htm"]http://homerepair.about.com/od/termsst/g/teflon_tape.htm[/url]

[quote name='K1024' date='20 April 2009 - 12:51 PM' timestamp='1240257075' post='362183']
actually now that i think about this, you never want to breath through a pvc tube...i cant exactly remember why but it has something to do with tiny plastic pieces coming off...

there is some post somewhere here that gives better reasoning on what materials to use and what not to use....
[/quote]

I know what you're talking about, I've heard that too, but honestly the water should take care of it.

Well, I am in college and poor. Teflon tape cost more money, a plastic bag was free :P plus, this PVC vase was expensive as hell to begin with. It actually ended up costing more than a regular glass vase, but like others have said, tough times call for tough measures. Plus, I like building things and this seemed like a pretty cool challenge. I've gone on to hoses now though, much cheaper to make.

As far as the little tiny pieces of plastic, as far as I know, as long as you wash the pvc before use, it should be fine (don't quote me on that). I use PVC for all the handles I make. Plus, tons of people use pvc for water fountains and houses now a days anyway. Lowes actually carries an alternative form of pvc called PEX that can be used for both hot and cold, but its more pricey and I didn't think it was necessary.

Unfortunately, when I moved out of the dorms, i ended up throwing the vase away, I was trying to throw away anything that was unnecessary as space in the van and my car was really tight. I had already gotten a glass replacement from a guy on the boards here and didn't feel the need to save it.

• 7 months later...