Does Anyone Get Sick From Shisha?

the only times ive felt sick were when we would smoke while the coal was lighting to get the coal started. once time i got really sick, i didnt have anything to drink, the coal wasnt lit all the way, it was unwashed shisha, and i had a headache before we even started.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess I am lucky. The only time I get sick is if I burn my shisha. I'm guessing that would be due to an increased nicotine output.

ive gotten sick a few times most of the time its a headache or my stomach hurts......best thing for me is just take a little break and get some fresh air...if im smoking outside im usually ok but sometimes when i smoke indoors with the smoke just sitting around me my stomcah will begin to hurt so ill walk outside get a few fresh breaths and head back in and be fine the rest of the time

QUOTE (a_shimoon @ Mar 3 2009, 01:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
1) Smoke on a full (non-empty at least) stomach.

2) Drink a glass of water before, during, and after smoking.

3) If you can, eat while smoking.

4) Avoid caffeine.

5) Let the coals fully burn and get red before smoking.

6) Use less water in the base, this makes it easier to pull.'

7) I find that my body reacts better to cold smoke, so add ice to the base and cool the stem.

Try that, lemme know.

I agree!!

Make sure you have some food in your stomach and at least have something to drink

I have had caffeinated drinks without any trouble though.

Coals must be fully lit, you will know if they are not.

The pull should be natural, if you really have to try, you have too much water. If it's not bubbling enough, you need more.

Generally the flavor is much better with lukewarm water, and i have seen no side effects with it not being cool smoke.

A lot of people complain about getting really sick off of hookah when they dont fully understand what had happend.

alot of people who get stomach aches can attribute it to charcoal not being lit completely, or using a cheap coal in which a person is able to get mild CO2 poisoning.

nicotine overdoses (which in my experience is damn near impossible to get through smoking hookah) come in different levels so to speak. light amounts of nicotine poisoning include the side effects of nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, stomach pain, cold sweat, headache, dizziness. these are the most common symptoms hookah smokers encounter. If you experience problems with hearing or vision, confusion, rapid heart beats, and/or chest pain you really should go get yourself checked out. high levels of nicotine can make people seize, pass out and even cause people to die.

To dilute the effects of nicotine while smoking it is advised to eat before hand, and to drink something while you smoke.

just a little food for thought.

EDIT: bolded text- that basically can only happen if someone absorbs a large amount of nicotine through a patch for example. Edited by SuburbanSmoker

• 2 months later...
I only got sick once and that was when I was a noob hookah smoker, I had a pumpkin pipe, a QL coal and nakhla double apple, i chained it for 30 min and had to lay down for an hour before i could get up. It could of been i was less tolerant to nicotene at the time or i didnt light the coal properly or a combo of both. I know how to setup now though that ive been smoking for a few yrs and havent had any problems since.

I notice though that AF gives me a weird buzz that i cant say i like too much, and tangiers lucid, and nakhla give me a similar buzz which is actually pleasant in comparison to AF. The golden AF stuff though gives me a buzz similar to tangiers lucid and nakhla. And then there are times where my stomach is full and im completely hydrated and i dont feel a buzz at all. Oh and like others have mentioned stick with natural coals over ql's, my personal fave is coco naras, i have yet to try CH naturals, but i use the CH ql's when necessary or when im lazy.

I personally like to drink tea while I'm smoking otherwise I get light headed and nauseated. Usually it's a Lemon-Honey Ginseng tea with a little bit of sugar.

QUOTE (Hookie The Hookah @ May 29 2009, 11:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Not sure if this has been mentioned, but are you using quick lights? I found that I would always have a shitty feeling after smoking with quick lights indoors so I switched to coconaras and have been fine ever since. It's actually like night and day.

If you are talking to me, then no, I never will use QL again. I used them when I first started smoking, then switched to CH. I tried 3Ks one more time and it was gross. No QL for me! smile.gif I hadn't smoking in 2 weeks and it smelled bad in the boat house and it was hot so I am guessing that had a lot to do with it. Plus, I always feel a stronger buzz after smoking Mizo and I don't smoke anything else, so that may have had something to do with it.

Cake has been busy lately and hasn't been on the forums much, but I can tell you we don't use QL's. We are adamantly against coals that taste like what comes out of an exhaust pipe. We've been using John's coals.

Ironically enough, since this post was started, we've assumed management at our local hookah lounge, and I've noticed I've been getting a bit queazy when I smoke lately. Not really sick but just a bit "funky". I'm trying to figure out what it is that's causing that.

I just finished smoking some Nakhla Melon, and I started to feel a bit sick... I usually smoke AF with no problem, but today I tried something new. I'm not sure if the shisha being a bit old could have caused it? or if there is a huge difference between AF and Nakhla. Advice welcome, please... dash2.gif Edited by nd4snd

were you power smoking it? nak is a lot stronger than AF so you might not have been used to it. but if you just sit and smoke one puff after another after another after another, itll make you feel shitty. drink some water and take some more time between hits.