Are You In A Frat

87 members have voted

1. 1. are you in a frat?

• yes
    • no

QUOTE (Ebzen @ Feb 9 2009, 04:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Could someone please explain the whole frat thing? I never really got the point of it. You all pledge into these "clubs" where one can hang out with other members of said club and laugh at people from other clubs? And what's up with the naming? Do you just have to have any old random 3 letters from the greek alphabet or are there some significance to it? I really do wonder, not just bad forum /sarcasm here.

Oh and I'm not a member of any fraternity btw, tho I do have a little brother if that counts? I'll refrain from voting for now.

Fraternities are a symbol of brotherhood. It's a great way to meet people, study, and of course...party. It's not a club so much as an organization. There's a difference. I'm not sure I agree with the "laughing at other fraternities" statement, as fraternities tend to respect other fraternities despite differences. I'm not sure what experience you have to make that assumption (I'm assuming none whatsoever). If you've seen Animal House, Old School, or Greek on ABC Family...these are extremely inaccurate depictions of the Greek system and should not be used as a stereotype. Name is Greek letters. They have significance known only to the brothers of the respective fraternity. Non-members and pledges are not informed of the significance. The only way to find the significance of a fraternity's letters is to pledge, and obtain brotherhood. The meaning of the letters is a well-kept secret in every fraternity. Members cannot even wear a shirt with the letters in most fraternities until they become brothers. Even crazier...some cannot wear them until they die, unless it is permanent (tattoo etc.)

There is a lot of meaning and significance behind fraternities that non-Greeks don't even realize.

ΦΚΘ

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

JVC your a phi kap at uc? i was Phi Delt for two years there! you know erica fye? i used to fuck/date/be engaged to her. i know she used to know a lot of you guys.

k1024. i live in sullivan and work at red lobster man, we need to meet up!

mitchel. southern indiana university has a baller phi delt chapter.

sorry to hear about that. last i dealt with that house was a couple years back during some kind of big event they had. i had a great time, but also understand its hard to judge a chapter based on one weekend.

after reading the thread more... how many of you phi kap boys are on this damn forum? lol

Not in one...don't know any guys in them. However, I know a lot of girls from Sororities. smile.gif

I always looked at them like a club that people want to join...or not. I'm not really a party guy so a frat did not appeal to me at all but hey, if you enjoy it, more power to you. smile.gif

Not part of an frats, my school doesn't really need them, but I have a lot of friends in all the various frats. I'm an honorary "Little Brother" for Delta Gamma and Kappa Kappa Gamma though. I'm not sure if that program is a really regular one, but hey, I get an in with Delta Gamma and KKr chicks!

nothing wrong with getting in with the sororities mech!

and as an awesome side not, delta gamma was FOUNDED by a Phi Delta Theta brother. That guy must have been a fucking king... i mean... when you have so many girls hanging around you that you decide they should just form their own sorority? i hope to meet him in heaven.... or hell... whichever...

cerberus, if you would like me to follow you around to other threads you post in and mock your other hobbies/interests i gladly will.

in the meantime, if you are not in a fraternity yourself then you have absolutely ZERO room to talk on what are about, or what our purpose is.

QUOTE (SixPackSunday @ Feb 10 2009, 04:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
cerberus, if you would like me to follow you around to other threads you post in and mock your other hobbies/interests i gladly will.

in the meantime, if you are not in a fraternity yourself then you have absolutely ZERO room to talk on what are about, or what our purpose is.

Oh I'm sorry, I thought this was a thread about if you were in a frat or not. I'm not, I stated why. I'm sure there are a lot of great guys out there that are in frats. Yes I know a lot of frats do great things for the community, but also many frat guys think they are better than you just because they are in a frat. One on my best friends is in a frat. I've been to a few frat parties, not my cup of tea. But hey to each his own.

And please if you want to follow me around and mock my other hobbies/interest be my guest. You're just winning the Special Olympics doing that smile.gif

sixpack: dude my fraternity has winefest coming up at some point, you should come and ill light us up some hookahs!

idk about saying that fraternities arent like what they show on tv....our chapter is almost identical to what you see in animal house...

our house is 150 years old, run down, we dont give a shit about anything, we drink tons of booze, and we have 2 "charitable" events, one of which is "Smoke For the Cure!" where we smoke hookah all day for the cure to lung cancer.

sorry if i came off as harsh cerberus. was not my intention.

i'm not saying fraternities are all smiles and rainbows. but they certainly arent about buying your friends. OK well maybe in drabins case it is, but 95% of people join for social/post college connections along with 'brotherhood' not for 'friends'

and i would come to winefest but i'm in southern indiana now and dont get out much....

was it you guys that were looking for a new house on lyon street? or was that somebody else?

every now and then it comes up that we should get a new house...but you just dont get the same feel from a new house. our house has so many ridiculous contraptions (hanging bed on chains, all the rooms have lofts, etc) that it just isnt worth leaving.

• 3 months later...
I'm not in a frat, but my roommate is a Lambda Chi Alpha. Their rivals are the Pike (don't know the greek letters for it). His girlfriend went to a pike party when she first started college before she knew their reputation of being douche bags and got a t-shirt. She brought it to our room one day and they were going to have a public burning of it, but I talked them into giving to me to wear instead. I call it my d-bag shirt. I like free stuff, plus for some reason pikes get women, so figured it may help my odds. I personally don't really care for frats or sororities in the least bit.

QUOTE (fineout @ May 30 2009, 08:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
kinda funny because we had a bit of a feud with pike (pi kappa alpha) at our school.

Lol, I'd like to hear about this. I didn't hear the full sorry, but I think major deal with the Pikes at the college is that a good number of them got caught using the date rape drug. Plus, the majority of them are just douche bags. BUT, that doesn't mean they all suck. The restaurant I used to work at had a few pikes that I got along with just fine. I think it is just one of those situations where a group of them ruin the reputation for all of them.

Does Roller Derby count? No Frat name...but it acts the same.... scratch_one-s_head.gif

I'm in Tau Kappa Epsilon(TKE) in Peterborough, Ontario Canada and a student at Fleming College.

I'm actually sitting here smoking a hookah while I type this, and if there's any other TKE's on this forum I would love to chat with them:)

Chi Psi-Xi Delta
Texas Tech

I used to think that all frat guys were fags, but then I chilled with them and realized that only a few actually are. Its just that the ones that are ass holes are noticed by the general population WAY more than the ones that are cool.