Smoke Detectors + Hookah

Hey guys well I have carbon monoxide smoke detectors all over my new house and im not really sure how to disable it without totally taking it out. I tried taking the battery out but that doesnt turn it off. If i were to smoke hookah in my room would i start the smoke detectors? Just wanted to know that. I am not sure if its carbon monoxide or carbon dioxide smoke detectors. Thanks

There are several threads about smoking around smoke detectors. Some people hung a damp towel over theirs and didn't have a problem with it, although I'd think it'd be easier to just go with the plastic bag. But then what if there actually is a fire? That's why I'd go with the damp towel, it'll dry out and if there's a ton of particulate in the air, then it will still go off.

QUOTE (Allia22 @ Jul 6 2007, 12:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
There are several threads about smoking around smoke detectors. Some people hung a damp towel over theirs and didn't have a problem with it, although I'd think it'd be easier to just go with the plastic bag. But then what if there actually is a fire? That's why I'd go with the damp towel, it'll dry out and if there's a ton of particulate in the air, then it will still go off.

Although, if there was enough fire to dry out the towel or cause enough smoke particles in the air to set it off you would already know there was a fire. Unless of course you left a hot coal out when you went to sleep and your dog/cat/horse/cow/donkey/drunk friend knocked it over in the other room and the smoke/fire didnt get to you.

Unless you are right by it or you're in a small room i dont think there would be enough smoke to set off the detector, ill try to remember to put a battery in the one outside my room tonight and blow smoke at it to test it.

In my room i cover the smoke detector with a shower cap i picked up in a hotel years ago, Its perfect because of the elastic round the outside, there is no having to tie a knot like a plastic bag. it just slides on, and easily pulls of. So next time you in a hotel, take one of the free shower caps!

Some smoke detectors operate optically, from what I've heard around the campfire (!), they sense the smoke obscuring light...not the chemicals itself, so hookah smoke could set them off.