Heat Distribution

Right now i'm using Golden quicklights and basically i just light one coal and put it all around the edges then the middle and it basically runs out till then so i light up another one and put it in the middle, works good for me

on a medium size funnel bowl (which is pritty much all i smoke from) I use 1 stick of japenese style coal. Break this into the 4 small size chunks and place at 4 corners of the bowl for the first Hour, Thusly :-

Then for the 2nd Hour i go :-

JD!

QUOTE (txhookahman @ May 6 2007, 09:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Damn JD, that looks like a pretty good system. I'll have to try that when I get my Japs in. I have always used QLs.

Thanks tx biggrin.gif

It works very well, but is a bit coal-intensive. However at the cost of $7 for 96 'pieces' its good.

So for a 2hour session i use two sticks - a total of 8 pieces.

But the japanese coals are very clean, and once burnt out (around 1hr-1hr15) they retain there shape so are easy to knock off the bowl and leave clean. Just remember to blow all the silver covering off the side that will do down face-down on your bowl!

JD

10-4 on that one. QLs are so freaking expensive and burn so quick. So I've been thinking to go with something else. Either Jap Easy-Lites or Stargate coals. Either way im going through Social Smoke. So, I'm not sure which to go with. I like how small the Japs are and how you can manipulate the placement/temp so easily. QL's are so big it's hard to get a good burn with them. Any suggestions on that one?

I gave up on 3-kings (and/or similar style coals) about 5 months ago. [In fact i have nearly 100 of the damn things]

I tried every bloody thing. Splitting them up, changing position ect. But the fact is (at least for me) is that Japanese style coals are so much easier to use, burn longer, burn more even and keep a consistent heat until they die.

EL might be able to help - the boy love's his 3-kings! It's really a personal choice, but i agree with what you said above. I had the same issues.

JD

Can you light the Jap ELs with a cigarette lighter? Or do you need a torch? Because I like to take a hookah break at the weirdest times. Between classes, etc. So I won't have a stove to screw around with. A former Black & Mild smoker, I always have a ciggy lighter on me, so QLs were quick and painless. With the japs, I want better coals, but still get to smoking faster lol. So will the Jap ELs solve this problem for me? If so, how long do they take to light up and ready for a smoke session?

I personally cant smoke with japanese coals, ive smoked with 3 kings and golden coals for years (and there are differences between even these two brands) but the japs take too long to light, and have a taste they impart that im not used to.

assuming a standard egyptian clay bowl (15 grams)

the following configurations will work:

-one 3 kings into quarters (labor intensive but if you tobacco is piled high one of the better ways to smoke it, requires a few reloads).

-2 jap coals (if your tobacco is piled high).

-if thats not enough scale it up to the 1 and 1/2 3 kings broken into halves.

-the hookah bar method: Pack the bowl leaving at least 1/8th to 1/16th of an inch between the foil/upper bowl rim. Throw on two whole 3 kings but keep them both slightly hanging off the edge of the bowl equidistant from each other and the center. Takes some adjustment and some getting used to. Bowls will only smoke 45 minutes like this flavorly, but your tobacco will last a little bit longer.

JD, shit dude, that's how I light my grill lol. Oh, and fireworks! So it should be good enough for hookah coals! wink.gif Edited by txhookahman

I prefer the "silver" coated charcoals. I use a "blowtorch" type lighter. Focus the flame on a corner of the coal, and gently pull on the hose, to draw air over the coal. It takes a minute or two for the coal to "catch", but the burn is slow and even. Use your fire tongs every several minutes, and "flip" the coal, so that the maximum heat is held towards the shisha. Works every time.

For my standard bowls, it depends on coal type. 3kings or goldens get broken atleast in half, if not in 4ths, then placed along the outer edge of the foil. If using Jap coals, I use 2, along the edge as well.

In my smiley bowl, I gave up using the glass screen and went with foil. Other than that, use the same placement of coals, but only HALF the amount of coals.

33mm 3 king
- broken in half (glass bowl only 1 piece @ a time MAX)
40mm Golden - broken in 4ths, 2 pieces to start - add more as needed (if no smoke). (Glass only 1-2 pieces MAX)
Japanese sticks - 2 coals on outside edge or 3 pieces if they broke (which mine tend to do). (Glass, 1 coal or 2 broken pieces MAX)

I either use my BF's colibri lighter (torch) or the kitchen's gas stove to light them.

I picked up a cheap brass pot @ the thrift store that I use to transport them and ash them. Edited by lazria

First Choice: 4 Japanese coals (Large Tangiers Phunnel Head happy.gif )
Second Choice: 4 Lihnari 22mm fast lights
Third choice: Three Lings, 33mm, broken into four pieces before lighting.
Fourth Choice: Natural coals.

QUOTE (txhookahman @ May 6 2007, 01:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Can you light the Jap ELs with a cigarette lighter? Or do you need a torch? Because I like to take a hookah break at the weirdest times. Between classes, etc. So I won't have a stove to screw around with. A former Black & Mild smoker, I always have a ciggy lighter on me, so QLs were quick and painless. With the japs, I want better coals, but still get to smoking faster lol. So will the Jap ELs solve this problem for me? If so, how long do they take to light up and ready for a smoke session?

If you only have the lighter in between your classes and stuff- start a small fire, i mean it works if that is all you have and you are wanting a smoke. I wouldn't recommend it since you'll be in a public place and it still it will take a while to get the coals grey. But if you just happen to keep a small bit of a fire log on you at all times and some foil you can cook it up like that using your lighter to light the fire log and setting your coals on top. it is a small fire but people might not care so much. The only problem with using a fire log chunk is the coals sometimes can get the taste of the lighter fuel from the fire log for the first few pulls... but if you cook your coals on the log and give 'em a good coupla blows before you put them on the bowl- then normally this rememdies the bad taste from the fire log. But again- this is kinda a weird method but it is as close to a portable system as I can think without a propane torch. Maybe a butane lighter might burn hot enough- but dunno on that one- never thought to try it...

QUOTE (jeeps613 @ May 6 2007, 11:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If you only have the lighter in between your classes and stuff- start a small fire, i mean it works if that is all you have and you are wanting a smoke. I wouldn't recommend it since you'll be in a public place and it still will take a while(bout 10-15mins) to get the coals grey. But if you just happen to keep a small bit of a fire log on you (about the same dimension of the the coal you are looking to light) at all times and some foil you can cook it up like that using your lighter to light the fire log and setting your coals on top. it is a small fire but people might not care so much. The only problem with using a fire log chunk is the coals sometimes can get the taste of the lighter fuel from the fire log for the first few pulls... but if you cook your coals on the log and give 'em a good coupla blows before you put them on the bowl- then normally this rememdies the bad taste from the fire log. But again- this is kinda a weird method but it is as close to a portable system as I can think without a propane torch. Maybe a butane lighter might burn hot enough- but dunno on that one- never thought to try it...

I have a better one than that...self igniting...just push a button and it fires up. As long as you hold the button, it makes a flame. It's nice.

QUOTE (oggie505#2 @ May 7 2007, 10:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
johnny, where did u get that big torch. All i could find is a little cheapo from Focus DIY

B&Q Baby smile.gif

£9.95 for the burner bit at the end with the regulartor.
Replacement bottles (LARGE) is £3.00 Cheap as Chips.

JD

QUOTE (jeeps613 @ May 7 2007, 02:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (jeeps613 @ May 6 2007, 11:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If you only have the lighter in between your classes and stuff- start a small fire, i mean it works if that is all you have and you are wanting a smoke. I wouldn't recommend it since you'll be in a public place and it still will take a while(bout 10-15mins) to get the coals grey. But if you just happen to keep a small bit of a fire log on you (about the same dimension of the the coal you are looking to light) at all times and some foil you can cook it up like that using your lighter to light the fire log and setting your coals on top. it is a small fire but people might not care so much. The only problem with using a fire log chunk is the coals sometimes can get the taste of the lighter fuel from the fire log for the first few pulls... but if you cook your coals on the log and give 'em a good coupla blows before you put them on the bowl- then normally this rememdies the bad taste from the fire log. But again- this is kinda a weird method but it is as close to a portable system as I can think without a propane torch. Maybe a butane lighter might burn hot enough- but dunno on that one- never thought to try it...

Just to let you know, butane torch lighters will start a Japanese coal. It takes a good bit, but doable. Start at one corner, heat till red hot, then work on next corner. If I'm not @ home, this is how I start them.

A good "portable" version of a the flame is a candle - buy a cheap jar candle. Hold said coal over the flame and it will lite. Takes forever, but alittle safer that the fire-log trick (although still a good idea - wonder if the small stero cans would work?)

QUOTE (Johnny_D @ May 6 2007, 02:13 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This is how Johnny gets down :-

JD

I have a portable camp stove, it was all I could find. What store in the U.S. sells pro'pane and pro'pane accessories like that? wink.gif Edited by nofrendo